Why are tablets dying/PCs still alive?

Jackgamer91

Which do you use more often for work?  

94 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you use more?

• Tablet
    • Laptop/PC

I remember about 4-5 years ago tablets were all the buzz and people were saying tablets will kill off PCs and laptops but now people are saying tablets are dying and even at college people I noticed are using laptops a lot more than tablets or iPads. 

Why did the tablet fail? What do you use more often for your work? 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

I don't think the tablet failed, but sales stopped growing like crazy. There are tons of cheap ones and they are pretty decent for a few years. I also found larger sized phone screens eat into time from tablets - personally after getting a larger screen phone i use my tablet a lot less.

I think that tablets are dying because of bigger smartphones....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Tablets didn't really fail, it is just users thought it could be PC replacement and the makers kept advertising it to be that way but once you used it, then you realized that you are limited. 

I feel the tablet will replace the laptop soon as the two are now blending together.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

I think it's that tech companies are making creative apps for video editing, photo editing, game design, 3d Modeling, etc more affordable. This means more people are doing those things, and they generally run much better (Or only run) on PCs.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I personally use a tablet *all the time* but I'm an oddity among the people I know.

The issue with tablets is that on the one hand you have iPads and Android tablets which people look at and see "Big Phones™". "Why do I need that when it does *exactly* the same thing my iPhone or Galaxy do?". They're more powerful than a phone in some cases (Pixel C) but not meaningfully so, and still can't do a lot of the multitasking that a traditional PC can.

Then on the other hand you have Windows tablets. Which in theory could do all the things your laptop would, but are absolute shit at it. Sorry for the language but there's no other way to word it. Systems with 1-2GB of RAM and processors that struggle with 64bit code trying to run a full fledged desktop OS.

That's where laptops are a nice middle ground. They're more portable than a desktop but far more powerful than your phone. They can power much richer experiences and have specs to match.

That's why tablets are fading away in favor of Windows and ChromeOS convertibles. You can have all the benefits of a laptop and a tablet with very few of the downsides. Windows devices have the web and the huge catalogue of Windows apps, and Chromebook devices have the web and the huge catalogue of Android apps.

Primarily use a PC at work (AutoCAD), but also use a tablet when on site visits. The tablet is very limited though with what it can do. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Tablets are pretty much very large smartphones with the ability to make phonecalls removed in most if not all cases. Sure they have tried to sell these as laptop replacements but they're typically just not designed for that, sure you can slap a keyboard on a tablet and do stuff with it, but the experience is gonna be clunky and awkward unless that tablet is running full-fledged x86 or x64 editions of Windows. and tablets capable of this are often times extremely expensive and geared towards business use.

I have a tablet, but I only really ever use it for watching anime/movies, reading, or drawing with a stylus.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

7 minutes ago, Jackgamer91 said:

I remember about 4-5 years ago tablets were all the buzz and people were saying tablets will kill off PCs and laptops but now people are saying tablets are dying and even at college people I noticed are using laptops a lot more than tablets or iPads. 

Why did the tablet fail? What do you use more often for your work? 

Because a tablet could not run The Witcher 3 at Ultra? To be honest, there is a limit to mobile devices. Video editing and photo editing is a huge one.

Because iPads are limited in terms of what they can do. I don't give a shit what Apple and their fans have to say about the iPad Pro. It's an absolute joke in terms of actual productivity over the standard iPad or iPad Mini. Would be a different story if it was running an actual version of OSX. But good luck with that since Apple themselves are brainwashing people by saying that adding touch support will ruin the user experience. All while they're busy adding a ridiculous touchbar to the new MacBook Pro. K rant over.

The tablet isn't necessary failing. It's more of an entertainment device from day one given the limitations of the OS. Which is why the Surface Pro has gained so much success with University students and Professors, despite being a tablet.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that tablets are dying because of bigger smartphones....

Or because of convertible laptops

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Because a tablet could not run The Witcher 3 at Ultra? To be honest, there is a limit to mobile devices. Video editing and photo editing is a huge one.

Can a laptop run Clash of Clans or Game of war and beat thelegend27?

1 minute ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Which is why the Surface Pro has gained so much success with University students and Professors, despite being a tablet.

See, and I always considered the Surface Pro line more of a convertible than a tablet...

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Can a laptop run Clash of Clans or Game of war and beat thelegend27?

I just saw that ad, LOL.

Not without emulation, I guessxD...

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

I just saw that ad, LOL.

Not without emulation, I guessxD...

Yeah. BlueStack is a thing check that. 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Yeah. BlueStack is a thing check that. 

Nox is more my style:).

Every Tom, Dick and Harry has one now, once you buy a decent one you don't really need to upgrade it for many years.  They're great for reading or watching a few vids in bed and some light productivity. Now that the market is saturated it's slow to move. 

4 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Nox is more my style:).

BUT ITS NOT BLUE

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Sniperfox47 said:

I'll stick with RemixOS/PheonixOS in a VM or dual boot.

PheonixOS? Never heard of that one, but I use Remix all the time.

What is it?

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

PheonixOS? Never heard of that one, but I use Remix all the time.

What is it?

Pheonix is a cheap chinese clone of RemixOS but while Jide (the remix team) seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet as of late, Pheonix just released an alpha build based on Android 7.1

2 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Pheonix is a cheap chinese clone of RemixOS but while Jide (the remix team) seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet as of late, they just released an alpha build based on Android 7.1

hot damn!

maybe I should try it.

I've installed RemixOS on my grandma's old core 2 duo PC, but Pheonix might be better.

how is phoenix for gaming. I haven't figured out how to control games like subway surfers with the arrow keys and/or WASD yet, but I really want to.

Desktop:

Laptop:

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

BUT ITS NOT BLUE

F*** the blue, coming straight from the underground...

7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

I'll stick with RemixOS/PheonixOS in a VM or dual boot.

I'll look in that when I'm up for emulation, but I am done for now. Thanks.

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

hot damn!

maybe I should try it.

I've installed RemixOS on my grandma's old core 2 duo PC, but Pheonix might be better.

how is phoenix for gaming. I haven't figured out how to control games like subway surfers with the arrow keys and/or WASD yet, but I really want to.

Phoenix wasn't great for gaming pre-7.1 but not it's using Nougat's native freeform windows support so it works a lot better.

Couple con sides to it over Remix:

1) Installing the Play store is a bit of a pain. There's no automated tool like with Remix, so you need to root it, make some modifications, and then stick Play store in. Theres a guide on XDA that walks you through step by step.

2) it's Chinese by default so some of the default apps look a bit wonky, and you need to make sure you select English at install unless you can read Chinese.

3) Because it's Chinese no CTS/Safetynet support, so no Google Pay/Banking apps, and games that check Safetynet will refuse to load.