Can Overwatch be a successful Esport yeas or no

Go to solution Solved by Thorium19,

Personally, I think overwatch can be an esport, I mean it technically already is, with lots of pro teams getting in on the act, a competitive scene existing, although most of it is temporary until the Overwatch League starts, and Bilzzard are actively trying to develop the game both with balancing and content, to keep the game viable and interesting.

Whilst the pro scene is a bit of a wasteland besides the APEX league currently, the introduction of the overwatch league later on in the year should bring about more stability and value for pro teams, as currently it's pretty difficult for teams to make value in overwatch outside of sponsorships.

If there's any developer that can make it work, it's Blizzard.

Having watched plenty of Overwatch pro matches and played a fair bit of competitive, the main thing they need to bring out besides the overwatch league is the ability to spectate competitive games in game, with a time delay of course, as it will allow for people to watch their friends play competitively without the need for streaming it.

Currently overwatch is one of the more popular games on twitch, behind LoL, DOTA and CS:GO most of the time, and currently PUBG, although the main three have had years to buld up their viewerbase, overwatch on the other hand has gained this viewerbase in what is effectively less than a year and already has notable streamers such as seagull, kephrii, DSPstanky and moonmoon who stream on a consistent basis to thousands of people.

with peoples arguments that it's difficult to watch, I personally find league and dota incredibly difficult to watch, due to the length of the game with such high speed plays, whilst with overwatch the games are shorter, with teams distinct in their markings. Yes CS:GO is basically the holy grail for ease of understanding, teams being very clear, matches being short and combat beign simple to follow, yet overwatch isn't too bad so long as you have a basic understanding of the class system and map types.

Is Overwatch a valid esport ?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Overwatch as a game can be a popular esport

• Yeas
    • no

35 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Being insanely good at video games? I'm not sure you realize how hard it is to be as precise as pro players consistently. If there is a potential audience, the job exists.

Yes for the person, who's afraid to get their hands dirty and do some real job. The only audience that exist, are those who have lost all hope, and found that playing video games is the only skill they're good at. Might as well just quit their education and sit at home all day to play video games. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, NumLock21 said:

Yes for the person, who's afraid to get their hands dirty and do some real job. The only audience that exist, are those who have lost all hope, and found that playing video games is the only skill they're good at. Might as well just quit their education and sit at home all day to play video games. 

You're the one talking like the world is a game with some end goal that you have to work towards. In reality, there is no such thing. That's why anyone should be allowed to take whatever path they want in life. In the end, we all die regardless of how we lived. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Could it? Ugh I guess  But should it? Imho not so much. I just want something chill and fun to play after a day of school/work, something that keeps getting content over time (and I'm talking about content as in "more than gloves or other skins, Valve") with a dedicated developer team behind it that listens to the community. I guess I just don't want the game to change as it is at the moment and go more in the direction of focusing on the comp crowd because it might leave casuals like me behind/make us lose interest in the game.

But that's just me idk

Personally, I think overwatch can be an esport, I mean it technically already is, with lots of pro teams getting in on the act, a competitive scene existing, although most of it is temporary until the Overwatch League starts, and Bilzzard are actively trying to develop the game both with balancing and content, to keep the game viable and interesting.

Whilst the pro scene is a bit of a wasteland besides the APEX league currently, the introduction of the overwatch league later on in the year should bring about more stability and value for pro teams, as currently it's pretty difficult for teams to make value in overwatch outside of sponsorships.

If there's any developer that can make it work, it's Blizzard.

Having watched plenty of Overwatch pro matches and played a fair bit of competitive, the main thing they need to bring out besides the overwatch league is the ability to spectate competitive games in game, with a time delay of course, as it will allow for people to watch their friends play competitively without the need for streaming it.

Currently overwatch is one of the more popular games on twitch, behind LoL, DOTA and CS:GO most of the time, and currently PUBG, although the main three have had years to buld up their viewerbase, overwatch on the other hand has gained this viewerbase in what is effectively less than a year and already has notable streamers such as seagull, kephrii, DSPstanky and moonmoon who stream on a consistent basis to thousands of people.

with peoples arguments that it's difficult to watch, I personally find league and dota incredibly difficult to watch, due to the length of the game with such high speed plays, whilst with overwatch the games are shorter, with teams distinct in their markings. Yes CS:GO is basically the holy grail for ease of understanding, teams being very clear, matches being short and combat beign simple to follow, yet overwatch isn't too bad so long as you have a basic understanding of the class system and map types.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim