Can Overwatch be a successful Esport yeas or no

Go to solution Solved by Thorium19,

Personally, I think overwatch can be an esport, I mean it technically already is, with lots of pro teams getting in on the act, a competitive scene existing, although most of it is temporary until the Overwatch League starts, and Bilzzard are actively trying to develop the game both with balancing and content, to keep the game viable and interesting.

Whilst the pro scene is a bit of a wasteland besides the APEX league currently, the introduction of the overwatch league later on in the year should bring about more stability and value for pro teams, as currently it's pretty difficult for teams to make value in overwatch outside of sponsorships.

If there's any developer that can make it work, it's Blizzard.

Having watched plenty of Overwatch pro matches and played a fair bit of competitive, the main thing they need to bring out besides the overwatch league is the ability to spectate competitive games in game, with a time delay of course, as it will allow for people to watch their friends play competitively without the need for streaming it.

Currently overwatch is one of the more popular games on twitch, behind LoL, DOTA and CS:GO most of the time, and currently PUBG, although the main three have had years to buld up their viewerbase, overwatch on the other hand has gained this viewerbase in what is effectively less than a year and already has notable streamers such as seagull, kephrii, DSPstanky and moonmoon who stream on a consistent basis to thousands of people.

with peoples arguments that it's difficult to watch, I personally find league and dota incredibly difficult to watch, due to the length of the game with such high speed plays, whilst with overwatch the games are shorter, with teams distinct in their markings. Yes CS:GO is basically the holy grail for ease of understanding, teams being very clear, matches being short and combat beign simple to follow, yet overwatch isn't too bad so long as you have a basic understanding of the class system and map types.

Is Overwatch a valid esport ?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Overwatch as a game can be a popular esport

• Yeas
    • no

Currently Blizzard are trying to push it new flag ship Overwatch as a esport I want to know what the communties thoughts are on this.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

It already seems like the hype for it is dying down, all my friends who went from siege to overwatch came back.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

Currently Blizzard are trying to push it new flag ship Overwatch as a esport I want to know what the communties thoughts are on this.

I personally say Yes... And No.

It's a good idea for a competitive sport, but why do we need more comp. games?!? Can we just have more casual experiences? Like, when will companies pay me just to sit back and play a game for 12 hours straight?!?

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

1 minute ago, wolfboytech said:

I personally say Yes... And No.

It's a good idea for a competitive sport, but why do we need more comp. games?!? Can we just have more casual experiences? Like, when will companies pay me just to sit back and play a game for 12 hours straight?!?

True, I just played an esl match in siege 94 teams signed up for one system, in one location. Jesus.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

More like yaes am I rite? xD

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Just now, myselfolli said:

No. Begone.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

True, I just played an esl match in siege 94 teams signed up for one system, in one location. Jesus.

Man.. I would just break down because of all the people!

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

1 minute ago, wolfboytech said:

Man.. I would just break down because of all the people!

Yeah, it started at 2pm cst yesterday and finals are today because it took too long to finish in one day.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, Ashiella said:

Yeah, it started at 2pm cst yesterday and finals are today because it took too long to finish in one day.

Ugh. Well good luck and may your monitor refresh be quick and your FPS high.

esports is stupid.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

2 minutes ago, wolfboytech said:

Ugh. Well good luck and may your monitor refresh be quick and your FPS high.

150hz, and on one map, luckily not in the rotation is absolute trash and gives me 60fps compared to the 160-170 average

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

esports is stupid.

lolwhat.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

esports is stupid.

why though Everyone can play no matter race religion sex long as you have skill

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

9 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

lolwhat.

2 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

why though Everyone can play no matter race religion sex long as you have skill

esports as something to watch for leisure, that's fine. But esports as a way of making a living, it's stupid.

Imagine the embarrassment of some future kid, during show and tell in class.

Child #1: Holding up a wrench and says my dad is a airplane mechanic, he maintains and fixes jumbo jets.

Child #2: Holding up a game controller and says my dad is a esports player, he play games.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

esports as something to watch for leisure, that's fine. But esports as a way of making a living, it's stupid.

Child #1: Holding up a wrench and says my dad is a airplane mechanic, he maintains and fixes jumbo jets.

Child #2: Holding up a game controller and says my dad is a esports player, he play games.

Child #3: Holding up play button and says my dad is a you tuber, he makes videos.

very similar.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, NumLock21 said:

well many jobs are just weird in general so looking at it from a bring your parent to school day is just strange.

Overwatch as an eSport should be looked at a lot like Team Fortress 2 in that regard.

So to answer that, I mean it could but it'd be very boring. Outside of that, the only other real difference here is that Blizzard supports it and Valve doesn't, at least for TF2.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Overwatch as an eSport should be looked at a lot like Team Fortress 2 in that regard.

So to answer that, I mean it could but it'd be very boring. Outside of that, the only other real difference here is that Blizzard supports it and Valve doesn't, at least for TF2.

You can't Cuck the Tuck!

6 hours ago, Ashiella said:

Child #3: Holding up play button and says my dad is a you tuber, he makes videos.

very similar.

Child #4: My dad drop things, including me

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

The difference between Overwatch and TF2 is that there's a lot of diversity in Overwatch, whereas 6s in TF2 has become extremely stale. Watching one match isn't much different from watching the next, not to mention, with the lack of Valve's help, issues such as parking on 5cp will remain, while Blizzard actively looks at fixing issues in their gamemodes.

Don't get me wrong, I like TF2, but the competitive scenes can't be compared.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

9 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Literally, the only thing keeping people from believing some things are legitimate jobs are their own personal social convictions. If you can make money doing what you enjoy, good for you.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

10 hours ago, myselfolli said:

10 hours ago, Ashiella said:

No. Begone.

No, no, you guys got it all wrong. It's more like this :D 

But seriously speaking, it's a yes and no. The problem I see with eSports is that unless they take hold worldwide in a permanent way, they're only fads that come and go with every new clone of the game. I believe there's a reason Starcraft, LOL, and DOTA have stayed at the top of mainstream eSports: They were the first of their genre's to become an eSport title. The players know it, and so do the devs, which is why there's such a HUGE userbase and developer backing for them.

Other games that have tried to break into the eSport world haven't really taken off as well, and I think it's because there's so much saturation, and probably a lack of interest in some genres like racing games and flight sims. CounterStrike and other source games have been the Gold [Source] standard in the realm of FPS eSports, so everytime another FPS game comes along it only lasts for a short while as a fad before people go back to the tried and true standard. As for the world of racing and flight sims, I feel those are niche games that you're either heavily invested in via thousands spend on a simulation flight deck or racing wheel/chair setup or you lose interest in them when people start to play other games.

But this is just my opinion - take it with a grain of salt.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

10 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Child #3: holds up a Baseball, My dads greatest achievement is he can throw a ball really fast. 
Child #4: Holds up a bra, My moms a underwear model and we earn millions. 

Child #5: Holds up a DVD, My Dad pretends to be other people and someone films it. We are treated like Gods

Point: Its all pathetic when you break it down from that view point. 

eSports are already breaking the mold, These guys train, study and put in more time and effort than most top Athletes. If we allow Chess, Darts, Poker, even Air Riles in the Olympics than there is no reason eSports shouldn't be considered a sport. 

Also the 80's called and Computers are the devil and will make your eye's square. 

Ok back onto Topic, No I don't think overwatch will make it, despite blizzard pumping huge money into it. Its not a spectator friendly game prob counts the most against it. I've watched a few games and it looked like Dubstep The Game.

Problem DOTA/LOL have for someone who doesn't understand the game, builds and heroes abilities are they not very inviting BUT these games are huge as they have such a massive player base.
CS:GO while having a smaller player base, Smaller prize pools and more issues (Cheating, Beating and Value bring your kid to work day when they making Updates) its a very easy to understand game and is very well balanced (most of the time) 
Starcraft is basically a Modern day Chess game and its pretty easy to follow from someone who's never played it. 

Overwatch to me just doesn't bring anything to the table that would give it the staying power I think you need. Paladins I can see doing much better. 

**I Don't enjoy/play DOTA anymore. Over MOBA and the Toxic community. The above is all IMO*** 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Literally, the only thing keeping people from believing some things are legitimate jobs are their own personal social convictions. If you can make money doing what you enjoy, good for you.

I'm pretty sure there are million of real jobs out there, people will find to enjoy, while making a living out of it, without ever thinking of becoming a esports player.

1 hour ago, Not_Sean said:

Child #3: holds up a Baseball, My dads greatest achievement is he can throw a ball really fast. 
Child #4: Holds up a bra, My moms a underwear model and we earn millions. 

Child #5: Holds up a DVD, My Dad pretends to be other people and someone films it. We are treated like Gods

All of these you mentioned, they need some sort of physical form and unique ability in order to become that profession.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

8 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

unique ability

Being insanely good at video games? I'm not sure you realize how hard it is to be as precise as pro players consistently. If there is a potential audience, the job exists.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz