How much should I charge for building a website

I have recently had a family friend approach me about building a website for their construction company.
The reason they approached me is that I have built a Squarespace website for this person before, but for a community organisation they belong to and I did at the time, but no longer do, for free. I still provide tech support for said website, for free.

From what he has said, he does wish to pay me for this, which I have no opposition to (a little money never hurt anyone). I am currently planning on building the website in squarespace, but I am not sure if 1- It is against Squarespace TOS to do this, and 2- How much do I charge, and do I include a year of 'website support' for an extra cost.

If you have any tips or suggestions, I am open to hearing them.

Depends on your skills and the amount of time you invested.

If you suck or you can do it in an hour, don't charge anything. :D 

Write in C.

Well, in theory it's illegal because you work and don't pay taxes on the income.

However, if you don't do it on a regular basis it won't matter. If another company wants to sue you because you are unfair competition they have to prove they lost incomes because you "stole" potential customers. But if you only do it a few times a year it's almost impossible for them to prove it :P

It's what i would call a gray area, but as long as you don't go all out it's fine. Just don't worry about it :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I have charged anywhere form 1000$ for a simple login system with a simple database structure. to 15000$ for a complete website, including 1 year of service.

i spent 2-3 hours a day for a week for the 1000$ system, and for the 15000$ system i spent around 2.5 mounts

7700k@4.5GHz|MSI Z270I GAMING PRO mITX|GTX 980ti|Corsair Dominator Plat 16GB DDR4|Bitfenix Prodigy|H100I

Hire a graphic designer, I don't know what your local costs are but in NZ I would pay about 300nzd for a professional designer. I would only charge 300nzd for putting the site together and another 300 if I have to sift through thousands of photos to display. I would charge 300 every time they want to update the photos or content

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Well linus even proposed this idea on the wan show so I doubt that it's against their TOS,

About the money thing though: I'd charge per hour, I don't know how old you are but make the price reasonable for your age. (1-1.5x what you'd earn in a supermarket is a good start but you can always charge more if the client approves)

12 hours ago, mikat said:

Well linus even proposed this idea on the wan show so I doubt that it's against their TOS,

About the money thing though: I'd charge per hour, I don't know how old you are but make the price reasonable for your age. (1-1.5x what you'd earn in a supermarket is a good start but you can always charge more if the client approves)

I'm 17, so I'm thinking something like $15-20 (Australian) per hour, more if he is willing.
When he called asking for the website, I asked him to write some content, and I am going to meet with him sometime this week to discuss layout etc.

5 hours ago, ZuluGod said:

I'm 17, so I'm thinking something like $15-20 (Australian) per hour, more if he is willing.
When he called asking for the website, I asked him to write some content, and I am going to meet with him sometime this week to discuss layout etc.

Sounds like a good plan, best of luck to you :D