Tyan S7012 Dual LGA 1366 Build

Hey guys so im about to trash my second PC and get rid of my horrid FX 8350 its just awful and its just gahhhhh it just sucks. So im looking into doing a LGA 1366 6 core 12 thread chip build with 2 of them. Im just wondering if anyone has done this before. I haven't ever used server grade hardware but im down to do a little bit of tweaking part of the reason why i am buying it xD plus its only 50 bucks for the board

62 dollars for 2 CPU's

50 bucks for 32gb of DDR3 ECC for the board ETC

anyways should be a healthy upgrade from the FX 8350 considering the CPU has better IPC than any FX CPU ever made Lol

Anyways if you have done something like this or you are running a rig with these specs let me know how it works and if its worth it before i drop 100 dollars on this xD

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

you will need windows 10 pro to run 2 cpus, I have an older server running 2 lga 1366 quad cores and it is fine. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, DoctorZeus said:

what chips?  theres a goof amount of people on hardocp with xeons

X5650 Xeons the 6 core 12 thread chips  clocked at 2.66

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 With Corsair H110i GT GPU: GTX 1060 Strix OC MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon 1tb Samsung 850 Evo

Just now, GDRRiley said:

you will need windows 10 pro to run 2 cpus, I have an older server running 2 lga 1366 quad cores and it is fine. 

Ok cool i have a Technet windows 10 pro key lol so i use windows pro on all my rigs anyways. Ok cool! just wondering what's your cinebench like? Im probably just going to buy the quad cores for now since i can get a pair for 10 dollars and i can get the Six cores for 60 for the pair. lol 

LGA1366 is a shitty, old, power-hungry, temperamental architecture. 

Unless you have a consumer board with the ability to overclock you're gonna be fucked by the mediocre IPC and low clocks of most Xeon chips on that arch. 

idk

Just now, Jredmond said:

Ok cool i have a Technet windows 10 pro key lol so i use windows pro on all my rigs anyways. Ok cool! just wondering what's your cinebench like? Im probably just going to buy the quad cores for now since i can get a pair for 10 dollars and i can get the Six cores for 60 for the pair. lol 

I haven't done anything with it. doesn't even have an OS installed right now because my server is very picky 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, Droidbot said:

Unless you have a consumer board with the ability to overclock you're gonna be fucked by the mediocre IPC and low clocks of most Xeon chips on that arch. 

Low IPC? its 32nm like the first gen i7's which i believe are on the same socket. Its going to be run on a 4k TV so clocks and gaming speeds don't really matter i just want a new project im getting bored lately with the new stuff its just plug and play wanna mess around with some stuff 

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

you can get 6 cores at 3.73-2.7ghz (the top end) 

Just now, Jredmond said:

Low IPC? its 32nm like the first gen i7's which i believe are on the same socket. Its going to be run on a 4k TV so clocks and gaming speeds don't really matter i just want a new project im getting bored lately with the new stuff its just plug and play wanna mess around with some stuff 

Implying that the 1st gen i7 chips didn't get absolutely wrecked by 2nd gen improvements.. 

Even with 6 cores and 12 threads the X5650 is slower on ALL CORES than a comparable 2600k..

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Implying that the 1st gen i7 chips didn't get absolutely wrecked by 2nd gen improvements.. 

Even with 6 cores and 12 threads the X5650 is slower on ALL CORES than a comparable 2600k..

Yeah but a 2600k is still 150 bucks lol. i can get two of these guys for 60 with a motherboard with 64gb of ram for the same price of a 2600k

Just now, Jredmond said:

Yeah but a 2600k is still 150 bucks lol. i can get two of these guys for 60 with a motherboard with 64gb of ram for the same price of a 2600k

Depends where you look. IMHO 1366 is one of the most temperamental, shoddy, strange architectures Intel has made in the last 10 years. Stuff like booting with 4 DIMMs in but not 6, lack of USB3, SATA 3, etc, and a load of other regressions and issues. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Depends where you look. IMHO 1366 is one of the most temperamental, shoddy, strange architectures Intel has made in the last 10 years. Stuff like booting with 4 DIMMs in but not 6, lack of USB3, SATA 3, etc, and a load of other regressions and issues. 

Yeah but for the average consumer no one needs SATA 3 no one needs USB 3.0 ill buy an add in PCIE card for 10 bucks. But i have been hold that these CPU's are a really good deal so it enticed me to take a look. and i got hooked on this socket when i saw the core count and the price. At 1440p there is little difference between a Q6600 and a 6600k which is where this system will be gaming at but its not really going to be a gaming rig at all. Its going to be more like a Rendering/Gaming/Seti box. Power isnt really an issue for me its like .1 cent per kilowatt in the summer my electric bill is like 200 bucks with 8 air conditioners and tons of computers. This PC is really going to be a SETI box for most of its time. I like to help out to the community of folding but idk. Also wanted to add that a 2700k and a mobo is still like 250 bucks Lol which is insane for a platform which is like what 5 years old by this point? 

17 minutes ago, Jredmond said:

Yeah but for the average consumer no one needs SATA 3

Uhhh, why the fuck does NVMe exist then? People want speed. 

no one needs USB 3.0 ill buy an add in PCIE card for 10 bucks. 

And it's gonna require separate drivers. Instead of being integrated into the chipset. 

really good deal so it enticed me to take a look.

Because they've been flogged to death in servers at big businesses, but CPUs never really die anyhow. 

At 1440p there is little difference between a Q6600 and a 6600k which is where this system will be gaming at but its not really going to be a gaming rig at all. Its going to be more like a Rendering/Gaming/Seti box. Power isnt really an issue for me its like .1 cent per kilowatt in the summer my electric bill is like 200 bucks with 8 air conditioners and tons of computers. 

I'd like to know where you dug that information from, since at the slightly lower 1080p there is a huge disparity between the two. Single-core performance matters in a lot of tasks, like gaming for example, where the old 1366 architecture eats shit. Rendering would be good on the 12c/24t however, so that's where it would really shine. 

And the 2700k is the most expensive of the bunch, no wonder. But seriously, even a E3 locked LGA1150 Xeon would bench the poor 1366 Xeons in gaming performance. 

idk

58 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Uhhh, why the fuck does NVMe exist then? People want speed. 

And it's gonna require separate drivers. Instead of being integrated into the chipset. 

Because they've been flogged to death in servers at big businesses, but CPUs never really die anyhow. 

I'd like to know where you dug that information from, since at the slightly lower 1080p there is a huge disparity between the two. Single-core performance matters in a lot of tasks, like gaming for example, where the old 1366 architecture eats shit. Rendering would be good on the 12c/24t however, so that's where it would really shine. 

And the 2700k is the most expensive of the bunch, no wonder. But seriously, even a E3 locked LGA1150 Xeon would bench the poor 1366 Xeons in gaming performance. 

First off your completely wrong. I game at 1440p your totally wrong... there is no debate here at 1440p the load gets shoved right to the GPU not the CPU like in 1080p. I would know since i have a 1440p display.... second off NVME doesn't add instant speed when booting windows vs a regular SSD its better for accessing files at random sure, and USB 3.0? A simple add in card for 10 dollars will suffice for my needs since it will be a rendering / folding box thats completely fine. Also i would like to add that the LGA 1366 platform didn't "Plague" The server platform.. it was a very well needed upgrade from 771 and 775 and added more stability into the market segment. Also with these chips being so cheap its a no brainer to do a build with this stuff so cheaply. And for its powerdraw with 2 95watt CPU's it will have a load at 300 watts with a GPU included. That is not awful by any means not amazing no. but not awful....

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

Also if you read above and stop pulling shit out of your ass a user above said it runs fine on a dual socket with 2 4 core chips.... 

(loved the debate btw) 

First off your completely wrong. I game at 1440p your totally wrong... there is no debate here at 1440p the load gets shoved right to the GPU not the CPU like in 1080p. I would know since i have a 1440p display.... second off NVME doesn't add instant speed when booting windows vs a regular SSD its better for accessing files at random sure, and USB 3.0? A simple add in card for 10 dollars will suffice for my needs since it will be a rendering / folding box thats completely fine. Also i would like to add that the LGA 1366 platform didn't "Plague" The server platform.. it was a very well needed upgrade from 771 and 775 and added more stability into the market segment. Also with these chips being so cheap its a no brainer to do a build with this stuff so cheaply. And for its powerdraw with 2 95watt CPU's it will have a load at 300 watts with a GPU included. That is not awful by any means not amazing no. but not awful....

I game at Ultrawide 1080p, a good step between the two, and I have friends with worse processors and similar overall setups that get different  framerates. 1440p is not much different to 1080p, even pixel wise it's not double. CPU performance still matters at 1440p. 

54516.png

Old but gold. 

NVMe adds speed most of the time, but as always it's depending on the disk you get. For example, the 950 PRO from Samsung handles loads significantly better than a comparable SATA SSD (Not sequential loads, normal random use loads):

78158.png

Fair point about USB3. 

I'm talking about the memory controller issues on that architecture, which included people having issues with 6 DIMMs and tri-channel memory, and others having BSODs due to memory, flickering in BIOS, the architecture killing memory, etc. Forums are still littered with people who have had issues with this architecture today. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I game at Ultrawide 1080p, a good step between the two, and I have friends with worse processors and similar overall setups that get different  framerates. 1440p is not much different to 1080p, even pixel wise it's not double. CPU performance still matters at 1440p. 

54516.png

Old but gold. 

NVMe adds speed most of the time, but as always it's depending on the disk you get. For example, the 950 PRO from Samsung handles loads significantly better than a comparable SATA SSD (Not sequential loads, normal random use loads):

78158.png

Fair point about USB3. 

I'm talking about the memory controller issues on that architecture, which included people having issues with 6 DIMMs and tri-channel memory, and others having BSODs due to memory, flickering in BIOS, the architecture killing memory, etc. Forums are still littered with people who have had issues with this architecture today. 

Idk, At 1440p its more GPU dependant in newer titles anyone will tell you that. And fairpoint about the Triple channel ram argument i did help a friend with an issue he had on his X58 mobo but im prepared to take on a challenge i have been so bored lately with all my classes even my C++ Class is so ez i sleep through that shit. I need more of a channel and i want something to give me errors when i try and turn it on Lol i dont mind case modding either xD Im fine taking other peoples junk and making it my treasure xD  Also just keep in mind this isnt my main rig. Lol i have a beast killer rig that will rip this one a new asshole. My R7 1700 will destroy these dual Xeon's i am fully aware of this fact but im going to be donating this dual xeon rig to Folding for proteins. I have lost many to cancer and i would like a server board which is made to be running 100 percent of the time and 0 downtime which if i am not mistake that is the definition of a server board also i dont want to leave my 4.2 ghz ryzen rig running with my GTX 1080 it just draws too much power since the GTX 1080 is overclocked to 2135 on the core. Lol i think that these Xeons might be the answer to my needs for this rig. 

• 3 months later...
On 04/09/2017 at 8:58 PM, Jredmond said:

Hey guys so im about to trash my second PC and get rid of my horrid FX 8350 its just awful and its just gahhhhh it just sucks. So im looking into doing a LGA 1366 6 core 12 thread chip build with 2 of them. Im just wondering if anyone has done this before. I haven't ever used server grade hardware but im down to do a little bit of tweaking part of the reason why i am buying it xD plus its only 50 bucks for the board

62 dollars for 2 CPU's

50 bucks for 32gb of DDR3 ECC for the board ETC

anyways should be a healthy upgrade from the FX 8350 considering the CPU has better IPC than any FX CPU ever made Lol

Anyways if you have done something like this or you are running a rig with these specs let me know how it works and if its worth it before i drop 100 dollars on this xD

Do it i love mine! Oh and I may get yelled at for it but if you can find some pny gt 730's they look nice and fit well on the board! Mine is not done yet just working :(

tmp_20215-20170806_210221-868335232.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

I've actually just done exactly this.

Going through tests etc. now; I'm having a weird GPU issue and I'm not sure whether it's a PCIE bottleneck.

Here's some pictures, I did it in a Define R4. Had to cut a hole in the 5.25" bay and had to cut the socket backplates down to normal size. THen finally to fit the HDD cage back in I had to install it wonkily.

Overral though I'm quite pleased, just need to work out what's up with the GPU. It's showing up in Furmark as being in crossfire for some reason, and it keeps dipping down utilisation to 60% every ten or so seconds.

EDIT:: Also there's a USB3.0 card in there off ebay, a Wifi Card and a SATA3 card in the bottom slot, haven't tested the speed of the SATA3 card yet.

IMG_20170906_101609.jpg

IMG_20170906_101604.jpg

• 9 months later...

I have the same board as you see, only problem i have is my graphic card wont show any picture. As you can see the first PCIe is blocked by the CPU cooler, so i can't test that, the second PCIe won't show any pictures, even as i choose in BIOS to use the PCIe for graphic card. Did you have the same problem with that..? The card is a GT730 so it ain't a prower drawing problem. And before you ask, i haven't yet tried the other PCIe ports, and couldn't find any list over supported graphic cards, do you have it..??
Hope it's okay i poke at you're topic :P

IMG_3613.JPG

On 6/9/2017 at 8:07 AM, Pyroven said:

Here's some pictures, I did it in a Define R4. Had to cut a hole in the 5.25" bay and had to cut the socket backplates down to normal size. THen finally to fit the HDD cage back in I had to install it wonkily.

Overral though I'm quite pleased, just need to work out what's up with the GPU. It's showing up in Furmark as being in crossfire for some reason, and it keeps dipping down utilisation to 60% every ten or so seconds.

EDIT:: Also there's a USB3.0 card in there off ebay, a Wifi Card and a SATA3 card in the bottom slot, haven't tested the speed of the SATA3 card yet.

IMG_20170906_101609.jpg

IMG_20170906_101604.jpg

Your CPU Coolers are blocking some DIMMs, aren't they?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think so, either way if they did it wouldn't matter until the second or third set of RAM