Home Server / NAS setup

I guess that this could go in the Network section...

I've got no real experience with Windows Server, but I've had to / chose to implement one for some professional software which is Windows based. I'm now trying to work out the best way to integrate it to my network (what services for it to control, and what for it not to). Also, to work out the best general configuration - I've been doing some reading, but I'm not really up to speed.

I have a PFSense Firewall, this Windows Server (2012 R2), and a Synology NAS.

The plan is to use the Windows Server for running specific network applications, general home storage, and backups for the connected PCs. The smaller Synology NAS will be used to hold less frequent backups of the Windows Server.

The PFSense Firewall has 2 independent LANs; The first is connected to the switch with all of my internal hardware, the server, and the NAS. The second is connected to a secondary switch used to provide a second, separated network for other devices that I don't want to have access to the rest of my network. Because of the second connection, I presume that I should leave the firewall to look after local IPs...

Any ideas, tips and tricks? - I'm happy to read more articles, but I need pointing to ones I can understand / are up to date (the one for my home server is a little out of date, so not as helpful as it could be).

Apple, Piss Off! ~ Linus 2014

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

You want to know how to configurate backup in Windows server 2012?

29 minutes ago, xXDeltaXx said:

The plan is to use the Windows Server for running specific network applications, general home storage, and backups for the connected PCs.

Do you want to work at the server or just store all data there? (domain or redirect folders) (for domain you need a windows pro version at workstation, w10 pro for example). domain got the benefit that it store all your data at server when using roaming profiles also stores your homefolder at a network share. 

If you need help setting this up im happy to help.

Hi @Jarno. primarily, I'm checking that I am configuring the server correctly to run on the network without causing any issues / conflicts.

It's my first server config, so I'm trying to work out what to turn on / off... So, the roles and features and or anything else I should be looking into...

For me, the first stage is making sure that the server isn't going to create issues with the rest of my network. Then install the software I need to get up and running... Finally, start moving my data across and getting the backups from other machines setup.

No, you're not hallucinating, or maybe you are... either way, I'm back. ~ Linus 2015

I'm not intending to be working at the server, just have it store all of the data, and have one or two programs running.

19 hours ago, xXDeltaXx said:

I'm not intending to be working at the server, just have it store all of the data, and have one or two programs running.

For just simple data storage you can just share a disk and call it a day, run it in raid 1 or 5 for some redundancy you dont need a windows server OS for this at all. Windows server makes it easier to manage permissions but that wont be much for a home network.

The setup is a Thecus home server on 2012 R2. The storage will be 4x 4TB drives in a form of RAID 1+0.

I need to use Windows / Windows server for the applications (Solidworks PDM / possibly Autodesk Vault). As the Thecus came with 2012 R2, I figure that I'll just stick with that...

I've been able to set up the RAID and put some things on it previously, but I couldn't get the server setup side of it correct, so I wiped it and started a fresh... As I'm starting to set it up again, I'm looking for guidance to make sure I do it correctly / tell me what good looks like... :-/

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/04/2017 at 10:21 AM, Tech Warrior said:

Try the manual from the Thecus Windows website (wss.thecus.com)  http://ftp2.thecus.com/~thecus/wss/iso/WSSE_QIG_20160415.pdf

I've been following this one: http://ftp.thecus.com/wss/iso/WSSE_GettingStartGuide_EN_v1.2-2.pdf (with a little more detail).

But it doesn't got in to the detail I was after, also it's out of date, as the menus don't tally up with what I'm seeing on the actual server...