Philips 40" Monitor Review

Now we just need a 100Hz+ version of it and they can have my money. The current version is tempting, but I'm just not sure it would be worth the move from 3440x1440.

An here I thought, I wanted to stay with an ultra-wide monitor, but just simulating it could actually work at this size.

We do what we can, because we must.

Fair warning to anyone wanting to buy this monitor as someone that owns one i highly dont recommend it. I found that i couldn't play games without extremely noticeable blurring/ghosting. I even noticed this in the windows desktop. It is next level bad almost to the point where i feel that Linus's video needs a disclaimer. If you do want to buy it please watch the video i linked its truly awful.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

g2g response time is not the same as input lag.

Even Linus says that response time advertised by manufacturers literally means nothing because all companies measure it differently with no standard.

What matters is input lag, the time it takes for an image to be input and shown on the screen.

Currently displaylag.com or rtings.com don't have a review of this panel but I would guess the input lag will be the same as any other regular monitor, about 10-20ms.

And btw, modern 4k tvs (especially form vizio or samsung) have input lag of about 20ms which is excellent. It is basically the same as a non-gaming monitor.

All the points talked about in this video are exactly why I keep recommending 4k tvs to people who want immersion.

-no bezels

-no black bars on 16:9 content (like 99.99% of everything on the internet)

-can play at ultrawide if you want, at the same size as a regular ultrawide monitor

-more vertical fov if not playing ultrawide.

-curve is better than three flat screens angled towards you

-input lag is not an issue unless you are a competitive fps player that wants over 60hz

-way more convenient than a 4 or 6 monitor setup, with similar size and screen realestate

The problem is that most people are still stuck in their 2005 way of thinking "tvs have high input lag" which is no longer true if you look at tests.

Maybe @LinusTech should do a video to bust this myth and properly inform people.

My 4k TV, HORRIBLE ABYSMAL INPUT LAG http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sharp/ub30u

and this is coming from someone who has used 1080p TV's nearly exclusively as PC monitors since 2005.

Not saying a TV can't work, just saying make sure you do the research and get the right one, the reason Linus is still complaining about it is because LG sent him that 8 thousand dollar OLED that is among the WORST of 4k TV's when it comes to input lag so he assumes ALL 4k TV's are as bad since that one is.

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

My 4k TV, HORRIBLE ABYSMAL INPUT LAG http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sharp/ub30u

and this is coming from someone who has used 1080p TV's nearly exclusively as PC monitors since 2005.

Not saying a TV can't work, just saying make sure you do the research and get the right one, the reason Linus is still complaining about it is because LG sent him that 8 thousand dollar OLED that is among the WORST of 4k TV's when it comes to input lag so he assumes ALL 4k TV's are as bad since that one is.

Yeah I mentioned in my other post vizio and samsung, and certain models/series only.

But it's not like before where ALL tvs had high input lag, now there are actually options that you can use for fps gaming just fine :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Not that impressive when you look at what Dell has in this same segment. Their 43 inch multi client monitor sells at $950 right now with an IPS screen and you get a 3 year advance exchange warranty.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&sku=210-AHSQ

That said, I am glad 4K panels are finally getting into the 40+ inch size, since the PPI doesn't require scaling in Windows for desktop use.

Here's an idea for the next Holy Sh!t episode - connect half a dozen of these things onto a pair of GPU's for an insane monitor wall.

43' Philips is cheaper on amazon

I have the older 40" version that is not curved.. i love it .. will never go smaller than 40 if i can help it

GySgt Hartman approves of Linus' reach-around expertise @2:40 :P

9 hours ago, TetraSky said:

So about a million Canadian rupees, thank you.

Fellow Canadian here. 

I just wish it will properly reflect the CAD-USD cause I was very close to pulling the trigger on 38uc99 but at 1499 USD (1899 CAD) I would take Phil over LG's anytime. 

Why is he saying there's a legacy port for separate sync or sync on green when she's clearly pointing to the upstream port for the four port USB 3.0 hub?

I finally understand why Philips split of their light division and decided to focus on the development of medical and research equipment

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

17 hours ago, nicklmg said:

I don't know many TVs with a 4ms response time...

Plus there is no tuner, which means it can't be called a TV. (at least in the US.) 

Posted two comments on YouTube about mistakes in this video but I figure they'd get missed. First one is petty but I wanted to point it out for future quality control: around 4:47 Linus calls the inputs, outputs. Second one is more technical and maybe needs clarification in the description or comments section on the video: around 3:31 the connection that Linus describes as a "Legacy port for separate sync or sync on green" is actually the USB 3 Type B input connector for the USB 3 hub. To be clear I'm not complaining or nit-picking, I really enjoy the technical accuracy if LTT videos, often use them as reference for non-technical friends and want to make sure the quality of the content isn't overlooked in favor of production quality (which is top notch lately might I add).

Awesome video!

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

@3:30 WTF Linus? Never seen a USB3 Type B Port? How do you think the internal 4 Port USB3 Hub is connected to the PC?

Waiting for delivery: i7-6700HQ | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 | Acer Predator 17 G9-793 | 2x 8GB Kingston

i7-6700K | MSI RX 480 GAMING X 8G | MSI Z170A Gaming M7 | 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | Corsair Carbide Air 540 black
i7-2600K | MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | MSI Z68A-GD65 | 4x 8GB HyperX | Corsair Carbide Air 540 white
i3-3220T | Gigabyte GTX 660 OC | ASRock H77M-ITX | 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX | Bitfenix Prodigy white
i5-3550 | Intel HD 2500| ASRock B75M-ITX | 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX | Bitfenix Prodigy black
Pentium G3220 | Intel HD Graphics | ASRock B85M-ITX | 2x 4GB Kingston HyperX | Bitfenix Prodigy red
i3-4012Y | Intel HD 4200 | Lenovo Yoga 2 11 | 2x 2GB Samsung Chip

This monitor is getting shit on by other reviewers, mostly because of its awful ghosting, but also because of the instability of its stand. One reviewer said that just normal typing on his mechanical keyboard would cause the monitor to wobble.

I wish LTT would have at the very least mentioned the ghosting problem. That seems to be a universally agreed upon issue with this monitor.

This got me on the hunt for an alternative, though, and I've discovered there's a slew of Korean monitors that come in cheaper (though not curved) with very few compromises.

I ended up picking up the Acer 4K 43" monitor. It's really nice for the kind of gaming I do, but it does have ghosting and retention issues. I've got two LG 34" 3440x1440s in the picture for comparison.

43_small.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw one in store yesterday holy hell that's quite a bit of wobble it has..

Want super impressed by colors too. Could have been the settings they had too

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/