NASA Soon to Destroy a 3.26$ Billion Space Probe in Order to Save Possible Alien World

Just now, Centurius said:

What they argued was that a scientific theory can in fact be as good as physical proof.

I don't disagree with that then, maybe I originally replied / quoted to the wrong person sorry about that

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

22 minutes ago, Kierax said:

It's time we stopped using robots and started the first steps at getting manned flight back, sure we can utilize drones and such, but having boots on ground is always going to be superior where possible. 

Superior but much much more expensive. Humans require food, shelter, oxygen, water, space suits, room, etc. 

unmanned spacecraft is the onlything nasa can afford with its budget at this time 

Just now, Wolther said:

Superior but much much more expensive. Humans require food, shelter, oxygen, water, space suits, room, etc. 

unmanned spacecraft is the onlything nasa can afford with its budget at this time 

The way I choose to see it, Earth cannot support a growing population with our current climate of politics and social methods.  To continue down this path we must get out into space.  Hence why I heavily support private companies getting into space, and really hope Space X is the beginning of something seriously awesome. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

19 hours ago, tlink said:

its so they don't introduce a foreign object into the ecosystem and possibly wreck it. ecosystems are often extremely delicate.

This.

Also, considering this foreign object is powered by a couple of RTGs, radioactive debris could be very harmful to any life there.

20 hours ago, tlink said:

its so they don't introduce a foreign object into the ecosystem and possibly wreck it. ecosystems are often extremely delicate.

yeah man it's happened here on earth before, the british empire was terrible at bringing species across oceans into new habitats that had never had to deal with them before, and it nearly always lead to extinctions.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

22 hours ago, Xreldo said:

Thats right mister trump instead of searching for bacteria in space they should focus on china and Mexicans bringing drugs to america. There is a reason US military gets way more funds than NASA and instead of looking for bacteria in space they should go to Mars already almost 50 went past since they went to the moon unless that was all fake.

All hose years were fake. We are all just a bunch of idiots running on a old school simulator.

The scientific method doesn't get to invalidate mathematics.  Scientific method only works on the observable.  For example, up until the technology was such that people could observe Pluto (it's a planet, damn it!), mathematicians had already calculated it's existence and position based on indirect observable data (movements of other planets) and extrapolation.  At that time there was no observable scientific proof that Pluto existed.

A similar, more recent situation has been occurring in the field of quantum mechanics/physics, on the smaller end of the scale of what's is and is not observable.

Existence of life on other planets is now confirmed based on observable evidence - although we don't know very much about that very small sample set to say that we know anything about extraterrestrial life - intelligent or otherwise.  We do now know that life beyond Earth is not only possible, but highly probable.  Given the relatively young age of the Earth, and the abundance of life on this planet, under the correct conditions, intelligent life can exist on other planets.  While not having observable data to prove intelligent extraterrestrial life exists, there is enough evidence to make an a priori statement that it does.  Philosophy, like mathematics, often precedes science in the search for knowledge.

BTW, you could also make an a priori assumption that observing intelligent life is likely to be so statistically small in terms of probability due to the shear volume of space and the absolute random chance of two such entities running into each other.  Like two separate drops of water in opposite ends of the ocean ever coming together through the course of millions of years.

I'll treat those who claim they've met intelligent extraterrestrials with the same level of scrutiny as those claiming to have knowledge that intelligent extraterrestrials don't exist while using the scientific method as their reasoning.  I'll probably hold more scorn for the latter, because anyone claiming to know about science should know better than to make such claims.

As for Cassini, the amount of radiation from that satellite is minuscule compared to the amount of radiation that bombards Enceladus.  Need to stop thinking of everything in terms of Earth.  It's the same as the no nukes in space argument - silly compared to the amount of radiation constantly present in space.  Nukes raining down from space onto the Earth is bad enough without introducing some nonsensical argument about contaminating the "pristine environment" of space.  Biological contamination makes much more sense, but then I believe that's also been overstated.  The real reason is more along the lines of achieving other objectives by taking the satellite from a stable orbit into a degraded orbit in order to observe unique data.  This was the plan from the beginning.  The evidence on survivability of microbes in space came well after the launch and mission planning of Cassini (like 2013, when the Russians reported the existence of microbial life growing on the exterior of the International Space Station).  It just sounds cool to say we want to protect prebiotic life from our nuclear powered satellite by running it into Saturn, especially when said satellite costs billions of dollars.

From NASA:

Cassini's Grand Finale is about so much more than the spacecraft's final dive into Saturn. That dramatic event is the capstone of six months of daring exploration and scientific discovery. (And those six months are the thrilling final chapter in a historic 20-year journey.)

At times, the spacecraft will skirt the very inner edge of the rings; at other times, it will skim the outer edges of the atmosphere. While the mission team is confident the risks are well understood, there could still be surprises. It's the kind of bold adventure that could only be undertaken at the end of the mission.

On 09/04/2017 at 4:59 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

NASA isn't stupid, there is DEFINITIALLY life out there that isn't human. If you think there is no aliens, you are a selfish idiot.

h4t3rs will h8te and p0ta0es will p0tate

For those who may want some more context rather than the $$$ rhetoric the title of this thread hits us over the head with.

Cassini has given us the opportunity to get much more information for the Saturn system, and we got to see how the various environments in the saturn system changed over a meaningful amount of time.  That is precisely the kind of information we need in order to plan future missions, like drilling/IceBreaker probes to explore these ocean worlds.  At the very least we've got a better idea of what kind of instruments we'd want to invent and pack along for the next trip.

Throwing the probe into the gravity well of Saturn is just the smartest thing to do, or at least the least litterbug like action.  The missions ending, we're outta gas, the fat lady is clearing her throat.  I don't at all understand why anyone has any sort of beef with tying up the loose ends in a definitive manner.

I deal with NASA every day, and there's plenty of stupid to go around.  It's an organization, and like any others it has it's good and bad.  But no one is sitting around saying they want to waste billions of dollars.

One possible reason to want to leave something in long term orbit is in the eventuality you want to recover it.  Being that it's Saturn, however, I don't see us heading there any time soon.  The closer missions have enough technological and logistical challenges as is.

• 2 weeks later...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 4/9/2017 at 1:14 PM, Tech_Dreamer said:

How big of a damage can a probe bring (assuming it's relatively small compared to the size of that moon) , is it a bit of an over exaggerated move?

It's not the damage the probe would do that is the concern but rather the bacteria on the probe from Earth which could do massive damage to a foreign ecosystem.

On 10/04/2017 at 4:27 AM, Captain Chaos said:

trump-wrong.gif.47fdc0cdc03f480c65180f79e9ba677c.gif

E.T, Alf, the entire family from "3rd Rock from the Sun", the Predator etc etc. 

don't forget the many aliens from doctor who and star trek! there's no way you can forget them as well!

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Jesus Christ, you frakkers dont realize the Cylons have been here all along. Hell, some of you frakkers could be skinjobs. All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again.