Markus Chair From IKEA

Ramen Man

Instead of the usual review where the reviewer would mention the pros first at the beginning and then towards the cons of the whatever the review maybe about, i will be reviewing the negatives of this chair because well... there is less to talk about in this section! The version of the chair i got was the "Glose Black" which cost £130. Other versions cost are £125!

Negatives of the Markus chair:

Chair first off isn't exactly easy when it comes to assembling it, i had to do a lot of adjusting when assembling the screws for the parts to be held together, especially when attaching the seat to the back, i had to sorta trial and era in ways where i could put in the screws without tiring and stressing myself, even tho i did, i had manage to come up with a plan finally by using stacked small stools to give me some leverage for the back so that i could make it easier to slide the seat together. Furthermore, this seat was quite heavy to move around when including other parts such as the wheels as well.

Pros of the Markus chair:

It is quite well built as expected from IKEA, hardware and instructions were simple... until assembling the seat and the back together but after that, the chair was simple as adding the arm rests which have and i would like to think, premium leather, which is great to rest on when i am not typing or gaming for that matter. After assembling the chair finally, i find the chair to be quite comfortable to sit and relax in whether that be watching a movie, or playing video games. The chair it self is quite sturdy when it comes to unlocking one of the levers so that i can lean back, hopefully it can take my weight and last as long as possible.

To sum up: Great chair, great quality, quite pleased with how the product would turn out to be, i have noted from reviews online with some of the flaws of the chair such as the head rest not being as comfortable, but those can be easily sorted out. However, i do find that the already built in lumbar support to be perfect for me!

• 2 months later...

I have used one of these chairs for quite a while now.

The frame is solid, but there are two major issues...  The arm rests get in the way of being able to pull the chair into a low desk where the keyboard sits on the desk in a good position.... it means that it encourages you to slouch down and becomes uncomfortable for long sessions.  If the arm rests were not a loop or could be adjusted back to support your elbows while allowing you to pull it into the desk it would be better.

The seat cushion itself is or will become hard (and if you wear shorts in a few years disolve) and since the frame itself does not give at all the seat does not give at all making it seem all the harder to sit on.  

12 hours ago, bkkcanuck said:

The arm rests get in the way of being able to pull the chair into a low desk where the keyboard sits on the desk in a good position.... it means that it encourages you to slouch down and becomes uncomfortable for long sessions.  If the arm rests were not a loop or could be adjusted back to support your elbows while allowing you to pull it into the desk it would be better.

Alternatively, you can just do what I did; Remove the arm rests entirely.  I generally have my arms resting on my desk regardless.  Though this encourages me to sit cross-legged in my chair to give my elbow something to rest on at times.

• 3 weeks later...

For me the headrest is comfortable as I am quite tall.

Same issue with armrests though.

On 17. 6. 2017 at 0:00 AM, CerberusLabrat said:

Alternatively, you can just do what I did; Remove the arm rests entirely.  I generally have my arms resting on my desk regardless.  Though this encourages me to sit cross-legged in my chair to give my elbow something to rest on at times.

I tried that but it felt very awkward to sit without armrests.

On 7/3/2017 at 10:31 PM, WereCat said:

For me the headrest is comfortable as I am quite tall.

Same issue with armrests though.

I tried that but it felt very awkward to sit without armrests.

My issue with the arm rests is just that they felt like they were too cramped.  I'm not a big guy but I like having my arms spread about a bit more when I'm sitting.  I might try to hack it with some wider arm rests eventually.

For me personally, I can see why you might not like the chair due to having it longer than I have, but I still find the chair to be quite comfortable especially the headrest and i see why the armrests might be odd in some aspects.

• 4 weeks later...

im fine with the height of the arm rests but jesus the things are so hard. I wish they made a cloth version of the paded arm rests. the leather version has padded armrests why cant the cloth version too :(