how are program languages created?

echy

how was java, html, php, etc....... created?

i have seen videos of how programming languages are created and some people say that they created programming languages using the program language "BASIC"

if they created programing languages using basic then how was basic created?....

I'm confused can someone give me more clarity on this topic

Earliest on it was literally by punching in 1s and 0s (machine code). Assembly code is like the next level up, with basic instructions like adding, multiplying, subtracting, shifting (move the bits of a number to the left or right), loads (load a value from memory to a register or moving it from say memory to cache), stores (opposite of loads), etc. It's extremely low level but not as annoying as machine code. I'm pretty sure that's what's used to write it.

If you're really curious, I think that the book, Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective goes into assembly code (you can find a PDF online).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

12 minutes ago, echy said:

i have seen videos of how programming languages are created and some people say that they created programming languages using the program language "BASIC"

if they created programing languages using basic then how was basic created?....

First thing you have to understand, is that software is just a predetermined set of electrical signals for the CPU.

What happens is that machine code was first invented, directly interfacing with the CPU, basically the most basic of basic programming languages. Sure, it worked, but it was basically unreadable by humans. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_code)

Then came along Assembly, which was a bit more readable, but by today's standards still extremely unreadable, dealing with physically moving the memory entry bit by bit. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_language)

Things started to get a bit more advanced, and people started to build things using Assembly. BASIC, C, and most notably (IMO) Roller Coaster Tycoon.

Using Basic and C, people started developing OOP related languages, such as C++, and Java (which became all the rage).

A few more years passed and then dynamically typed languages like Python started to appear, along with newer modern technologies like Node.js, Ruby, etc.

All in all, I did skip over a lot of things, Pascal, COBOL, and a bunch of other giants, so this is by no means exhaustive, just a brief overview.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

4 hours ago, echy said:

Basically this:

https://ia800503.us.archive.org/10/items/marki_operman_1946/MarkI_operMan_1946.pdf

But on a serious note, really this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_language

Mixed with this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiler

With a touch of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instruction_set

A dash of this:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Microprocessor_Design

Basically, computers operate on binary strings known as machine code and data. There are various assembly language architectures (which are essentially human readable machine code) available to the programmer depending on which microprocessor he or she is programming. Then comes abstractions, which allow the programmer to write in an even more human readable way, and then the computer is used to parse (or compile) this human readable text into assembly or machine code, which is then executed by the computer. 

Sorry for the LMGTFY reply, but this is such a deep subject that it's nearly impossible to cover even an infinitesimal amount of the subject matter in a reasonable amount of time.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

As the people before me have said computers basically understand 1s and 0s.

It depends on the programming language on how it works, but let's assume a compiled language.

First you have to define the language, the syntax, the semantic, the basic words, the basic types, etc.

Then you have to create somehow a compiler, something that from a text file with a piece of code that follows the rules described in the previous step creates a file with the a of instructions for an OS to do what you asked to do.

And there you go, you have your programming language.

There's obviously more to it, you have to determine the memory structure for variables, the organization of your reserved words, the hierarchy of your names in the different levels.

The best way to measure the quality of a piece of code is "Oh F*** "s per line

A programming language starts on paper with a language definition. A programming language exists before the compiler or any program that converts the human readable code to machine readable instructions. There is no need to complicate this question with anything else. a programming language is very simply the same as what humans use like English or French 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

48 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

There is no need to complicate this question with anything else. a programming language is very simply the same as what humans use like English or French 

Not exactly similar, but somewhat similar yes. Spoken languages are normally informal bastardizations of context sensitive formal written languages. Programming languages are normally context free formal languages in all cases. In other words, as the English as a second language speakers here will surely know, spoken word languages (or even written human languages) are sometimes very ambiguous.

Think about words with multiple, differing definitions (homonyms) depending on the context, such as bow. Bow can mean the front of a boat, to bend over (bow down), a primitive weapon that fires an arrow, a tied ribbon such as what's on a Christmas present or your shoes, or even a district in London. Understanding which definition of "bow" is to be used depends on the context in which the word occurs. Programming languages normally don't allow this kind of ambiguity, and as a result are "context free". 

But the general point of them is the same: To communicate some meaning. In human languages this could be anything, while in programming languages it  almost always  means "to communicate a series of steps that should be used to solve a problem".

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

On 4/7/2017 at 8:25 PM, DocSwag said:

Earliest on it was literally by punching in 1s and 0s (machine code). Assembly code is like the next level up, with basic instructions like adding, multiplying, subtracting, shifting (move the bits of a number to the left or right), loads (load a value from memory to a register or moving it from say memory to cache), stores (opposite of loads), etc. It's extremely low level but not as annoying as machine code. I'm pretty sure that's what's used to write it.

If you're really curious, I think that the book, Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective goes into assembly code (you can find a PDF online).

We should also mention that machine code is actually physically built into the hardware, it's also reffered to as the instruction set of a computer or processor. A 64-bit processor uses the amd64 instruction set typically it additionally can use the x86 instruction set.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

For a TL;DR;

You have something called "Layers of Abstraction" which is essentially the amount of "Leaps" you are away from the hardware. EVERY programming language is at some point converted into machine code. JS is built on C which is built on basic which is built on machine code. In this way commands written in javascript can traverse the abstraction pattern when run so that the commands you desire can be executed on the hard ware. Now, that isn't to say that they are exactly translated on each conversion but essentially that's just the very high level overview. The main idea in abstracting out a layer in the cycle is to accomplish more work in less time, rather to make the code you program more meaningful. Hope that make sense.

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

Here is a nice video (keep in mind it may be confusing if your completely new)

around 7:10 if you want to skip everything but the actual programming