GTX 980 sli vs 1080 ti

Nikesta

shall I get rid of my 2 980's for a 1080ti, hows the performance comparison?

2 minutes ago, Damascus said:

He's swapping for a single 1080ti, not sli 1080ti's 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

If you can do it without a large net loss then yeah definitely.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, RKRiley said:

He's swapping for a single 1080ti, not sli 1080ti's 

Did you even look at the charts? it has single and SLI for both...

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

8 minutes ago, Nikesta said:

if you can sell them for a decent amount then go for it, always go for a single powerful card

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

Did you even look at the charts? it has single and SLI for both...

I have now :P only read the title to start with.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

@Nikesta I couldn't find a solid comparison between GTX 980 and 1080 ti so yes, there is definitely a huge improvement to be had here.  If you can do it without losing too much money I'd go for it

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 hour ago, Nikesta said:

Ask yourself a simple question are you happy with what you got. Are you happy with your FPS in games. If the answer is yes. Then no need to upgrade. If the answer is no then upgrade. 

7 minutes ago, IceCold008 said:

Ask yourself a simple question are you happy with what you got. Are you happy with your FPS in games. If the answer is yes. Then no need to upgrade. If the answer is no then upgrade. 

it's not that simple what the point of upgrading if I'm gonna lose performance.

34 minutes ago, Nikesta said:

it's not that simple what the point of upgrading if I'm gonna lose performance.

Well if you want to upgrade then do what i did wait 3 years lol. I went from 670 SLI to a GTX 1080ti and the preformance incease is amazing.

As for yourself two 980 SLI is pretty good still and if you play at 1080p it will do fine for now. Wait till Nvidia next GPU lineup. Maybe look at there 1180 SLI. If you can wait that long.

With me it was all about the preformance. I didnt just want a few extra FPS when upgrading i wanted double the FPS at least. I got that with my new 1080ti and if i want to i can SLI it later.

As for your lose preformance take a look at some benchmarks. Im pretty sure a gtx 1080ti is faster than 980 in sli. Even when games scale good with SLI. But its not going to be a huge leap in preformance unless. you SLI the gtx 1080ti.

Or just wait see what the 1180 GPU lineup looks like. I had to do that with the 700 series, 900 series and finally 10 series. It was not easy. Nearly turned me crazy waiting. But it worth it now. Got games going back 4 years to play. It all about catchup now :)