Message from Twitch: DON'T Spambot our channels

WMGroomAK

Twitch is in the process of digging out who is behind a series of spambot posting that started on February 24th that was bombarding channels with on average of 34 messages per a minute and at times up to 700 a minute.  These spambots were posting messages that were racists, homophobic and worse that Twitch's Automod tool was unable to keep up with.  According to Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/twitch-unleashes-scorched-earth-attack-to-unveil-malicious-spambot-creator/

witch, which bills itself as the "leading video platform and community for gamers," says it has traced the attacks to Chatsurge.net, which offers spambot attacks for sale. From there, Twitch investigators believe the perpetrator is associated with the e-mail address of obnoxious@dongcorp.org and a Shaw Communications IP address of 70.68.65.141 located in Coquitlam, British Columbia. In addition, Twitch thinks a PayPal account associated with the e-mail feelmorebirds@gmail.com is connected, according to court documents.

Legal documents: https://arstechnica.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/twitch.pdf

In total, Twitch is requesting:

For starters, Twitch wants Shaw to produce any identifying information about the customer associated with the 70.68.65.141 IP address. Twitch also wants an order commanding PayPal to hand over identifying information "of the customer associated with Chatsurge.net, feelmorebirds@gmail.com, or obnoxious@dongcorp.org."

As for CloudFlare, which is the server host of Chatsurge.net, Twitch wants it to unmask identifying information associated with the Chatsurge.net domain. Twitch is making the same request to WhoisPrivacy and WhoisGuard to unveil ownership of the Chatsurge.net and Dongcorp.org domains.

What's more, Twitch claims that all of these companies "are involved in the Spambot Attacks," including WhoisPrivacy and WhoisGuard for "providing a means for the perpetrator to don the cloak of anonymity to undertake this harmful conduct."

Moral of this story is if you try to mess with Twitch's business, they will track you down.

7 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Moral of this story is if you try to mess with Twitch's business, they will track you down.

Not really. It is don't be so stupid and use PayPal and try to hide your IP better

I really hope the courts throw them out when it comes to Whoisguard and Whois Privacy, as a service that one is pretty effective in protecting those with dissenting opinions, and more practically for regular domain owners prevent mass spam attacks or harassment based on whois info.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

1 hour ago, Centurius said:

I really hope the courts throw them out when it comes to Whoisguard and Whois Privacy, as a service that one is pretty effective in protecting those with dissenting opinions, and more practically for regular domain owners prevent mass spam attacks or harassment based on whois info.

Yes, I can understand their will to prosecute those behind the spambots, but the scope of their requests and the claim that "all these companies are behind the attacks" since they provide "anonymity tools" is way out of place. I hope courts quickly dismiss all the unreasonable parts of their demands. 

I'm really surprised they published that information (IP and emails).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Not really. It is don't be so stupid and use PayPal and try to hide your IP better

there are probably ways around those methods

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

i dont think they published it. its just in the court documents

Suffice to say whoever sent this attack was not very careful. If only all criminals were like this.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Dear Twitch: Do you know why we stopped used IRC in a widespread matter since the late 90s and early 2000s? Because it's a shit, unreliable and unmanageable fucking protocol and platform. Not sure what in the fuck were you thinking when you implemented that instead of a proper fucking chat system.

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 hour ago, Misanthrope said:

Dear Twitch: Do you know why we stopped used IRC in a widespread matter since the late 90s and early 2000s? Because it's a shit, unreliable and unmanageable fucking protocol and platform. Not sure what in the fuck were you thinking when you implemented that instead of a proper fucking chat system.

The same thing they were thinking when they decided to use Flash for their vide player....I mean, who doesn't like software that's like swiss cheese for hackers and that drives CPU usage up to 150%. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The same thing they were thinking when they decided to use Flash for their vide player....I mean, who doesn't like software that's like swiss cheese for hackers and that drives CPU usage up to 150%. 

That was exactly my problem on my older laptop. It had an i3 2350m and i mostly could not watch the streams in 720p because it was to much for my cpu. No problems at all now with the html player.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

To be fair, I and a lot of people I know still use IRC on a regular basis.

2 hours ago, Sniperfox47 said:

To be fair, I and a lot of people I know still use IRC on a regular basis.

IRC definitely still has its place.

On April 7, 2017 at 4:31 PM, djdwosk97 said:

What does that matter?    It's the info of criminals behind these spam attacks isn't it?

Assuming that's the case why should anyone care that their info is being made public regardless of whether it's in court docs or elsewhere?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What does that matter?    It's the info of criminals behind these spam attacks isn't it?

Assuming that's the case why should anyone care that their info is being made public regardless of whether it's in court docs or elsewhere?

Because it's not something that a company should be doing (not to mention the possible legal ramifications). If it's in publicly available court documents, then it's different. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Because it's not something that a company should be doing (not to mention the possible legal ramifications). If it's in publicly available court documents, then it's different. 

1. Criminals don't deserve that sort of concern.

2. There'd be no ramifications.  At least not from the ones responsible for the spam attacks.  To fight Twitch they'd have to identify themselves in court which would allow Twitch the means to directly take legal action against them.   

So while yes Twitch shouldn't reveal personal info of law abiding users the same should not be true for criminals.

If someone breaks the law and in this case Twitch's ToS I'm sure then they deserve to have the book thrown at them.  ?

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

1. Criminals don't deserve that sort of concern.

2. There'd be no ramifications.  At least not from the ones responsible for the spam attacks.  To fight Twitch they'd have to identify themselves in court which would allow Twitch the means to directly take legal action against them.   

So while yes Twitch shouldn't reveal personal info of law abiding users the same should not be true for criminals.

If someone breaks the law and in this case Twitch's ToS I'm sure then they deserve to have the book thrown at them.  ?

1. Yes/no. You're innocent until you're proven guilty, but other than that, it's a slippery slope that could lead down a path to where anyone's information could be revealed. 

2. They could still sue Twitch (and potentially successfully) -- they might get sued themselves, but they could still sue Twitch. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't know why, but I'm not surprised it was allegedly someone from Coquitlam.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

1. Yes/no. You have the right until you're proven guilty, but other than that, it's a slippery slope. 

2. They could still sue Twitch (and potentially successfully) -- they might get sued themselves, but they could still sue Twitch. 

If Twitch has info that points directly to the name behind it then: wall meet nail.

Twitch would crush them though.  It'd be as simple as: criminals did this, Twitch did that, criminals still broke the law first and worse, case closed.

I agree it's a slippery slope but my main issue I refuse to show sympathy for criminals.  Too many people do stupid and harmful things and aren't punished appropriately for it.  

4 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I don't know why, but I'm not surprised it was allegedly someone from Coquitlam.

What's that?

3 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's that?

One of the cities of the Greater Vancouver area (Metro Vancouver). There seems to be quite a few Koreans living there and pretty much every one I know who lives there is into gaming, Twitch, etc.

And there is quite a lot of people in our Computing Science program that live there.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

30 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

If Twitch has info that points directly to the name behind it then: wall meet nail.

Twitch would crush them though.  It'd be as simple as: criminals did this, Twitch did that, criminals still broke the law first and worse, case closed.

I agree it's a slippery slope but my main issue I refuse to show sympathy for criminals.  Too many people do stupid and harmful things and aren't punished appropriately for it.  

That information should be given (from Twitch) to the courts/lawyers, not the general public (again, if the information is in public record/documents, then that's something else entirely).

Winning a lawsuit doesn't automatically mean all others get dropped. Twitch could easily win the lawsuit against a spambot, but then lose a different lawsuit for exposing personal details. 

I'm all for punishing someone who did something wrong, but exposing their personal information to the internet isn't the way to do it -- that would just be vengeance, not justice. Leave justice to the legal system. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

That information should be given (from Twitch) to the courts/lawyers, not the general public (again, if the information is in public record/documents, then that's something else entirely).

Winning a lawsuit doesn't automatically mean all others get dropped. Twitch could easily win the lawsuit against a spambot, but then lose a different lawsuit for exposing personal details. 

I'm all for punishing someone who did something wrong, but exposing their personal information to the internet isn't the way to do it -- that would just be vengeance, not justice. Leave justice to the legal system. 

Tell that to Batman.  lol

The legal system doesn't always deliver true justice.  Both in comics and IRL.