[Update: Processor and Internal Assembly] Xbox Project Scorpio Revealed - Mid cycle 4K console revolution?

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

At least with the CPU then if it's the same CPU just a slightly higher speed it's not that significantly faster I assume.  

Even the other specs don't seem dramatically higher than a PS4 Pro.  Just a bit higher in what I can only assume is an attempt to claim victory over PS4 by being slightly better.  lol 

Not that it matters much to me which is more powerful.  I have both Xbox One S and PS4 and enjoy games on both consoles.  Having good specs is nice but it doesn't change what games are made for either console so while I'll probably get a Scorpio it likely won't affect which console I'd buy a game for assuming it was on both.  

The GPU is %50 faster, I think that is a lot. PS4 Pro is GCN v3, this is GCN v4 and it has more CU's and a decent amount higher clock.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Honestly this would crush most of the PC's out there, if and only if it had some FUCKING GAMES.

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Odd that MS and Sony would use iffy CPUs on what are supposed to be fairly powerful current gen consoles.  More so when you consider these revision consoles are aimed at 4K.  

They are cheap to produce and perform 'adequately' by using 8 cores and spreading out the workload. I am honestly surprised by how well it performs. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, Notional said:
Wait, it supports Freesync? Sweet!

For all of the Freesync televisions out there.. Are there any?

2 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I'm a little confused now. Linus said a few times that any game could be run at 4K as long as the hardware supports it, no matter how old the game it is. So why do devs need to rework the games to make them run at 4K as it's mentioned in DF's video?

Other question ; why are they not using a Rysen GPU ?

People want games to look good. I can run games at 8k, if they look like this:

hqdefault.jpg

33 minutes ago, marldorthegreat said:

But consoles will always get a boost in performance because of just how games can be optimized. 30 fps on pc would probably translate to 45 ish fps on console, which is probably fine for the console players. 

I still don't see them being able to deliver 4K 60 FPS on new AAA title games as this is a metric that the RX 480 cannot even meet today.  They may be able to push this with optimizations on older games, but I'm thinking that in order to actually get close to this on new titles, they will need to scale back a lot of the graphic settings that you would typically have access to on PC.  

11 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

For all of the Freesync televisions out there.. Are there any?

Adaptive Sync/Freesync is being implemented in HDMI 2.1. Until then you can just use a monitor in your dorm room. As long as it supports freesync over hdmi.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

13 minutes ago, Notional said:

Adaptive Sync/Freesync is being implemented in HDMI 2.1. Until then you can just use a monitor in your dorm room. As long as it supports freesync over hdmi.

Considering how cheap many Freesync monitors are it'll finally make sense at these console Tournaments to use "Gaming" monitors for the consoles.

It was always funny seeing an XBOX hooked upto a BenQ 144Hz monitor. Now they can actually do it with a Freesync one, Run at 4K 30-60FPS, or 900P for 6-+ FPS, and get some real benefits.

This is the first console to actually impress me a bit since the PS3 launch.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

4 hours ago, Zagna said:

Pretty interesting that the GPU command processor has full hardware implementation of the DX12 API.

Polaris is mentioned in the video.

I believe Richard said that the GPU was "Polaris-like" in one of its features.

In any case, this looks like it's gonna be a pretty good console hardware-wise.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

12 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Considering how cheap many Freesync monitors are it'll finally make sense at these console Tournaments to use "Gaming" monitors for the consoles.

It was always funny seeing an XBOX hooked upto a BenQ 144Hz monitor. Now they can actually do it with a Freesync one, Run at 4K 30-60FPS, or 900P for 6-+ FPS, and get some real benefits.

This is the first console to actually impress me a bit since the PS3 launch.

Latency was likely the biggest reason as to why people used gaming monitors for consoles. Most 144Hz monitors have latency levels that are far lower than most TVs can strive to have.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Wait, isn't AMD bound to buying silicon from GloFo? These SOC's are manufactured by TSMC.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

1 hour ago, Tedny said:

So I can take P4 and overclock it to 6Ghz and it will be like i7 with 2cores ? 

GPUs don't quite work the same as CPUs and so you can't just compare logic like that. Take Pascal vs. Maxwell as an example -- virtually no IPC improvements -- almost all improvements come from core counts/clock speeds. Now a 1070 ~ 980Ti. A 1070 will overclock to around 2000mhz and with 1920 cores. A 980Ti will overclock to around 1400mhz and has 2816 cores. 2000*1920 ~ 1400*2816.

1 hour ago, WMGroomAK said:

This has been the thing that has been bugging me about the whole spec release.  Sure it looks like a modified RX480, however even the 480 struggles on a lot of titles to reach 30 FPS average on 4K resolution.  Makes me think that Microsoft is going to have Game Devs drop some of the graphic setting options down in order to achieve the 4K 60FPS.  

Considering most console games run at 30fps and at fairly low settings, I wouldn't count on it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

18 minutes ago, Carclis said:

Wait, isn't AMD bound to buying silicon from GloFo? These SOC's are manufactured by TSMC.

Microsoft is manufacturing them with TSMC, not AMD.

Same with Sony using TSMC.

This seems to be a really great console! Must mean future Halo games are gonna start looking better xD.

Groomlake Authority

Impressive specs and performance in forza, but that does not element the problem i have with Microsoft in general which is that they the lack QUALITY  exclusives that Sony has. 

Persona, horizon, nioh and thats just the last few months. 

Ps 4 pro and PC is the way to go now for me unless I see more quality IPs on Xbox. And if they continue to support UMP and port games to Windows 10, I don't see any reason to even consider one . 

Slowly...In the hollows of the trees, In the shadow of the leaves, In the space between the waves, In the whispers of the wind,In the bottom of the well, In the darkness of the eaves...

Slowly places that had been silent for who knows how long... Stopped being Silent.

5 hours ago, randomhkkid said:

8x Jaguar x86 cores - Clock bumped from 1.75Ghz to 2.3ghz (PS4 Pro is 2.1Ghz)

And how will the Scorpio be able to play games at 4K?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

4 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

what GCN version is in it?

is it the same v3 or polaris v4?

Well the GPU in the PS4 Pro is like a GCN 4.5, so I'd assume the same technologies are inside Scorpios SoC, plus what Microsoft themselves has added.

@PCGuy_5960 I swear to god, are you all incapable of watching a video? It's a modded Jaguar CPU, draw calls barely cost the CPU anything, audio is handled by something else, there's a clock speed boost to boot as well.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

2 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

@PCGuy_5960 I swear to god, are you all incapable of watching a video? It's a modded Jaguar CPU, draw calls barely cost the CPU anything, audio is handled by something else, there's a clock speed boost to boot as well.

But still, AMD Jaguar cores are weak AF....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Resolution has nothing to do with CPU power.

Can you game at 4K with a G4560? No.

Uh, yes you can.

I guess, if you like low FPS...

Tell me why CPU power determines whether or not you can run at 1080p or 4K.

CPU load increases as resolution increases....

$700 CAD damn...

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I guess, if you like low FPS...

CPU load increases as resolution increases....

Umm it actually reduces because more of the load is onloaded to the GPU. This is something that has been confirmed numerous times

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0