[Update: Processor and Internal Assembly] Xbox Project Scorpio Revealed - Mid cycle 4K console revolution?

UPDATE 17.04.17:

Digital Foundry have done 2 deep dives into the processor architecture and the cooling/construction of Scorpio

Architecture deep dive

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-the-scorpio-engine-in-depth

Cooling/construction

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-hardware-deep-dive

New images of all components apart from the plastic shell

Spoiler

explode

complete

UPDATE 11.04.17:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-supports-freesync-and-hdmi-vrr

In an article released today digital foundry has release more details regarding the variable refresh rate capabilities of the console. 

The article confirms that project scorpio includes a full freesync 2 implementation over hdmi 2.1.

• Hdr
  • Variable refresh from sub 30fps to 60fps

This  should be great! Consoles have sorely needed variable refresh in recent years, as the article states this could mean developers no longer have to target a full 60fps if it isnt possible but they still have headroom at 30fps. I don't have experience with it myself but I assume 45fps freesync is noticeably better than 30fps. 

ORIGINAL POST:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-tech-revealed

Edit: Lol thank you whichever mod changed this so the embedded video works

Quick Specs

'Scorpio Engine' SoC

100% backwards compatibility with Xbone and Xbone S

360mm squared

8x Jaguar x86 cores 16nm - Clock bumped from 1.75Ghz to 2.3ghz (PS4 Pro is 2.1Ghz)

40 'customised' CUs @1172mhz - Up from 12 from GCN @853/914mhz (PS4 Pro 36 'improved' GCN @911mhz)

12GB GDDR5 384-bit - Up from 8GB+32MB DDR3+ESRAM (PS4 Pro 8GB GDDR5)

326GBps Memory bandwidth - Up from 68GBps+204/219GBps (PS4 Pro 218GBps)

4K UHD Blu-ray - Same as Xbox One S (Xbone and all PS4s have just standard Blu-ray)

1TB HDD with 50% more bandwidth

More stuff

Microsoft is aiming this console at 4K gaming, any 900p or better title on current Xbones can easy run at the same frame rate at 4K on Scorpio.

The Scorpio GPU is only 96mhz off the RX480 GPU whilst having 4 more more compute units. - Most likely Polaris based

4K60 demonstrated on Forza rock solid @60 - 70% GPU utilisation - 4K screenshots in the article

With Forza at PC ultra quality settings utilisation is at 88% - 4K60 GTX1070 level performance

Each SoC tuned at the faactory for a specific power profile - Vapour chamber cooling + centrifugal fan

245W power supply - This is insane

2.7x triangle and vertex rate, 6.0 tera-flops

8GB ram for games, 4GB for system

Spatial surround and Dolby Atmos sound

Direct3D 12 pipeline

4K60 HEVC decode and encode

HDMI 2.0

Downsampling enabled from 4K to 1080p screens - Not per game basis a la Sony

All previous games using bilinear/trilinear texture filtering will be replaced by maximum anistropic when run on Scorpio - This is a dark horse improvement

Free sync adaptive refresh rate support - So is this

Possible E3 2017 release

~$499 according speculation in the second article from related links section below

Thoughts

This actually looks pretty impressive, to have at least 480X performance in a console system at 245W is an engineering feat in itself. I wonder what the cost will be like?

Expecting them to drop the VR compatibility bombshell at E3, but apart from that this just confirms all the detective work that Digital Foundry have done.

The only slight surprise is the utilisation of the ancient Jaguar cores, I guess this was done for compatability reason but it's disappointing. From the PS4 Pro coverage by DF the CPU seems to be a bottleneck in many situations so I don't see how the Scorpio will alleviate this, hopefully the use of D3D12 is better at utilising that CPU than the PS4's OGLES implementation.

Related links

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-project-scorpio-back-compat-five-ways-your-existing-games-will-be-better

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-scorpio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

Pictures!

Motherboard

Spoiler

mobo

SoC w/memory modules

Spoiler

memory

Major components:

Spoiler

construction

The cooling system:

Spoiler

vapour

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Hmm looks pretty sweet! I will buy this 100%. Forza, Halo and Doom are all instantly going to get better resolution scaling and probably an additional 4k patch later on. :)

Although that blower style cooler doesn't look too good. Guess I'm not replacing my fan on the new Xbox with an aftermarket 120mm. :/

Will replace the internal HDD with an SSD though just like with my Xbox One S.

HYPE!

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

Source?

DigitalFoundry video on youtube probably, but yeah should've included a source.

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

5 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Quick Specs

8x Jaguar x86 cores - Clock bumped from 1.75Ghz to 2.3ghz (PS4 Pro is 2.1Ghz)

40 'customised' compute units @1172 - Up from 12 from GCN compute units @853/914mhz (PS4 Pro is 36 'improved' GCN @911mhz)

12GB GDDR5 - Up from 8GB+32MB DDR3+ESRAM (PS4 Pro 8GB DDR5)

326GBps Memory bacndwidth - Up from 68GBps+204/219GBps (PS4 Pro 218GBps)

4K UHD Blu-ray - Same as Xbox One S (Xbone and all PS4s have just standard Blu-ray)

I'm not a big console fan but I'm anxious to see the performance increase, the memory looks like the biggest adjustment but I wonder what effect it will have.

You might want to fix the OP to fit the Tech News and Reviews format(Include source and your thoughts) before the thread police arrive.

Any pics or anything yet?

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

6 minutes ago, Vode said:

Source?

the source video is literally in the article thats linked in the OP

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

what GCN version is in it?

is it the same v3 or polaris v4?

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Pretty interesting that the GPU command processor has full hardware implementation of the DX12 API.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

what GCN version is in it?

is it the same v3 or polaris v4?

Polaris is mentioned in the video.

5 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

the source video is literally in the article thats linked in the OP

That link wasn't there originally.

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

Just now, Zagna said:

Pretty interesting that the GPU command processor has full hardware implementation of the DX12 API.

Polaris is mentioned in the video.

I am at work so couldn't watch it, thanks

12 minutes ago, Vode said:

Source?

Gotta say, it looks quite good.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Sorry guys my internet decided to die as I was trying to insert more info. Article and video now linked at the top.  On mobile now so adding more stuff as quickly as I can :P

Instead of dooing mid cycle revisions they should start making completly new consoles every 5 to 7 years like in the old days, if they plan to keep the current (and mid gen refresh)  for 5 more years it will be what the ps3 and xbox360 all over again, were at the end of their usable lifespan any new AAAgame ran like crap and only hurt the consumer who bought those games.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

2 minutes ago, malon said:

Instead of dooing mid cycle revisions they should start making completly new consoles every 5 to 7 years like in the old days, if they plan to keep the current (and mid gen refresh)  for 5 more years it will be what the ps3 and xbox360 all over again, were at the end of their usable lifespan any new AAAgame ran like crap and only hurt the consumer who bought those games.

No they really shouldn't. Not only would those consoles be beyond obsolete at eol, but it would hold back the entire gaming industry. It was also only the 360/ps3 that ever had such extraordinary lifespans for consoles, and it really hurt everyone. Releasing consoles more often, but having them be backwards compatible is much better for everyone.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Ok. I'll stop right at the Jaguar x8 and tell Microsoft to fuck right off.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, malon said:

well this is a big jump, you could say a 4x performance boost, which is kinda like a new generation BUT they made it so that the game library is not split which makes it nicer for consumer upgrade.

In the video he mentions for a special dedicated directx12 compute unit. Anyone knows more about that?

1 minute ago, johniem said:

In the video he mentions for a special dedicated directx12 compute unit. Anyone knows more about that?

I think they mean that the system uses D3D12, can't watch the video atm but that's what the article says.

This actually sounds exciting.  Hopefully this console allows Microsoft to close the gap between it and Sony.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

All sounds great... Except those CPU cores. :/ 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I called it. Overclocked and tweaked Jaguar cores running on some FinFET process.

I don't think we can necessarily call these customised GPU cores either Polaris or Vega. Since it's a custom chip and they're somewhat modular, you can replace certain IP blocks on the chip which it sounds like they have (kinda like how they added the new display controller on the Xbox One S without really touching the compute performance). It probably has some Vega blocks in it but not necessarily everything Vega has (due to time constraints). Very interesting chip indeed.

I understand why they didn't go with Zen (other than time constraints). It would mess with backwards compatibility and developers would have to adjust to the new architecture. Zen also has a lot of early adopter problems that still needs to be fixed so it isn't ready for a project like this. By 2018 when Zen is officially ready for custom chips, it'll be a lot more mature. I can imagine a PS4 refresh/PS5 launching in 2019-2020.

The price would be the main factor that makes or break this console.

I also hope they step up the amount of first party games because IMO current Xbox exclusives are lacklustre in comparsaion to what PS4 offers.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

well this is a big jump, you could say a 4x performance boost, which is kinda like a new generation BUT they made it so that the game library is not split which makes it nicer for consumer upgrade.

I hope for the people who buy the scorpio it realy is such a big improvement, and indeed the backwards compatible game library is a good thing but we first need to see if it is priced well for what it can do.

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Im completely fine with Xbox and sony making more revisions more frequently. but if they keep on doing this they have to keep the operating systems the same and make everything backwards compatible. they also have to make sure that the consoles are valid for at least a full console lifetime.

PC: ryzen r7 1700 | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce OC | gskill 16gb ddr4 2666mhz | Asrock AB 350m pro4 mobo | 120gb m.2 ssd, 240gb sata ssd, 2tb 7200rpm hdd | 750W Coolermaster powersupply | Phanteks Eclipse case | monitor: BenQ PD2500Q

6 minutes ago, johniem said:

In the article it states that they've moved some of the DX12 API onto the command processor. So instead of relying on the CPU entirely, they can off-load some of it to the command processor to reduce instructions required and I guess therefore latency resulting in increased efficiency. It's all pretty vague but I guess the benefits are real.

I was hoping for Zen but whatevs. At least it's 2.3 ghz now.

Interesting that the GPU has 2560 shaders and a 384 bit bus though.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb