4x 980Ti vs 2x 1080Ti

paps511
4 minutes ago, App4that said:

No, you're just another misinformed hater...

SLI is for when there isn't a single card powerful enough to get the job done, or you're looking to get the most out of your current investment. What haters like you miss. 

"You're a hater"

100% totally valid argument. Argument ad hominem isn't an argument. Got any facts to back yourself up? My bets are on no

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

"You're a hater"

100% totally valid argument. Argument ad hominem isn't an argument. Got any facts to back yourself up? My bets are on no

Here's your facts

perfrel_3840_2160.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/20.html

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Just now, Frankenburger said:

There's no actual benchmarks tho

Image result for confused black guy

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 hours ago, pas008 said:

I agree with most of what you are saying

not completely true how much longer was the 970 and 980 out before 980ti?

and same goes for 1070 and 1080 vs 1080ti

I enjoyed 970sli for long while before 980ti came out and I paid way less too

and they never killed their upgrade path cards can be sold many places

"

You missed my point pretty much in reference to upgrade paths

for example

I wouldn't tell someone/advise them to build with 2x 1070 or 2x 1080's RIGHT NOW, 2x 1070's are what $750? 2x 1080's $1000? My point is to do with a 1080ti now for like $750 and have an upgrade path later, aka, the ability to add another ti, by paying for 2x 10XX now you will pay more and have no upgrade path later without selling the cards. That's not to mean that if someone has a 1070 that they shouldn't add another 1070 if they have the option, this is where SLI shines IMO.

1080ti is useless "pretty much" a few games will need them to get 100+ 1440p/4k  but most will run 144+ and at 4k (where 2x 1080ti should be used) CPU's are going to be the issue.

Also "1080ti sli isnt useless right now do you know what resolution hz and games I play?" Did you even read the OP's question??? This had reference to you what so ever, nor was there ever a resolution stated, hence the "overview" of SLI given. 

Anyway, a resounding 2x 1080ti over 4x 980ti

1 hour ago, N1ghtshade said:

Do you not pay the same amount for both GPUs when you get SLI? Or are you just dumb? If I buy two 1080s from Newegg, is one going to cost $500, while the other costs $300?

And are you gonna try to argue that you get better performance with SLI? It's just beating a dead horse. It's been proven over and over that SLI will get you the same performance at best. If anything besides optimal conditions for SLI, you'll perform worse. Watch the video I linked earlier. He specifically states that he could max out gta v at 4k on one 1080ti and get better performance than on 2. And there's many more cases. Battlefront, for example. I've used it with and without SLI, and when you use SLI, there so much jittering and microstutter it makes the game unplayable.

what was your SLI cards?

"Watch the video I linked earlier. He specifically states that he could max out gta v at 4k on one 1080ti and get better performance than on 2."

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080_SLI/13.html

Hes doing something VERY WRONG, either that, or hes CPU bound

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

There's no actual benchmarks tho

Image result for confused black guy

Click the link and indulge yourself.

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

9 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

what was your SLI cards?

Dual 1080s

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Cooool

1.) Margin of error

2.) That's only 5 games. Pretty much everything else derives no benefit

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Dual 1080s

1.) Margin of error

2.) That's only 5 games. Pretty much everything else derives no benefit

Do you want me to post more? I can. 

2 980ti matching and beating a 1080ti is not margin of error LOL

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Just now, App4that said:

Do you want me to post more? I can. 

2 980ti matching and beating a 1080ti is not margin of error LOL

Pay him no heed. He either didn't use a SLI bridge and refuses to learn, or is a troll grasping at straws for kicks and giggles. It's not worth the effort to prove him wrong when SLI scaling info is readily available to the able and willing.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

57 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Pay him no heed. He either didn't use a SLI bridge and refuses to learn, or is a troll grasping at straws for kicks and giggles. It's not worth the effort to prove him wrong when SLI scaling info is readily available to the able and willing.

I used an SLI bridge. I'm not dumb. And you're right. It's not worth the effort to prove me wrong cause protip: you can't

http://www.babeltechreviews.com/sad-state-crossfire-sli-today/

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

3 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

I'm sorry, but that video sounds like opinionated BS. No numbers from the defective setup, no nothing. Just him talking over gameplay for 6-7mins.. about as reputable as PirateBay ads.

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

I'm sorry, but that video sounds like opinionated BS. No numbers from the defective setup, no nothing. Just him talking over gameplay for 6-7mins.. about as reputable as PirateBay ads.

Have you actually seen his channel? The guy knows what he's talking about

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Obviously not since he's wrong. SLI and crossfire have changed a lot over the years, hell in the last year. The ONLY argument against multi card is VR. But you only need a 1080ti in VR. 

Just now, App4that said:

Obviously not since he's wrong. SLI and crossfire have changed a lot over the years, hell in the last year. The ONLY argument against multi card is VR. But you only need a 1080ti in VR. 

"Obviously not he's wrong lol" You don't know that. Do you use SLI? Do you know 100% for sure that it doesn't fuck up your performance in game? Cause I sure do. I got dual 1080s in my other setup a while ago to test what SLI was like, and it bent my performance over and fucked it with a stick. And no there's plenty of other arguments. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge that they're right is a whole different story

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

"Obviously not he's wrong lol" You don't know that. Do you use SLI? Do you know 100% for sure that it doesn't fuck up your performance in game? Cause I sure do. I got dual 1080s in my other setup a while ago to test what SLI was like, and it bent my performance over and fucked it with a stick. And no there's plenty of other arguments. The fact that you refuse to acknowledge that they're right is a whole different story

Running two 980ti Hybrid. I can provide a screenshot of ly library if needed, everything from The Witcher to VR, I run a Vive. 

There is ONE game I have to disable SLI to run, and that was ONLY for the April fools event, and that's War Thunder. 

9 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Seems like he knows what he's talking about =/= knows what he's actually talking about

There would be no issues with his current CPU besides being CPU-bottlenecked slightly due to the age of it

He has 40 freaking PCI-E2 lanes for use, more than enough for 2x1080Tis

there is no reason for him to have problems with SLI, gta v supports SLI perfectly with older cards (look up GTA V SLI and there is a guy on /r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC with amazing scaling on 2x760)

idk

Just now, App4that said:

Running two 980ti Hybrid. I can provide a screenshot of ly library if needed, everything from The Witcher to VR, I run a Vive. 

There is ONE game I have to disable SLI to run, and that was ONLY for the April fools event, and that's War Thunder. 

Alright. That's one advantage I will give to SLI, it helps keep older cards relevant. But it'd be less money and better results to upgrade to a newer single card

And I'm aware that you don't NEED to disable SLI to run games. But you'll get better performance if you do

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Droidbot said:

Seems like he knows what he's talking about =/= knows what he's actually talking about

There would be no issues with his current CPU besides being CPU-bottlenecked slightly due to the age of it

He has 40 freaking PCI-E2 lanes for use, more than enough for 2x1080Tis

there is no reason for him to have problems with SLI, gta v supports SLI perfectly with older cards (look up GTA V SLI and there is a guy on /r/GrandTheftAutoV_PC with amazing scaling on 2x760)

I'm aware of that. But watch some of his other videos. He's far from inexperienced on the subject

And exactly. He pointed that out in the video. There was no CPU issues

And again, he said that he had more than enough PCIe lanes

And if that's so, then why did he have issues?

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Alright. That's one advantage I will give to SLI, it helps keep older cards relevant. But it'd be less money and better results to upgrade to a newer single card

And I'm aware that you don't NEED to disable SLI to run games. But you'll get better performance if you do

My second 980ti Hybrid was 300 bucks us, the next step up 1080 was 650 at the time. So.

I've run games in and out of SLI, no game gives lower performance in SLI, not one. WT had texture flashing in SLI during the event, why I disabled it. 

Just now, App4that said:

My second 980ti Hybrid was 300 bucks us, the next step up 1080 was 650 at the time. So.

I've run games in and out of SLI, no game gives lower performance in SLI, not one. WT had texture flashing in SLI during the event, why I disabled it. 

Could have just bought one 1080 instead of 2 980tis

And I seriously doubt that. Pics or it didn't happen

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Could have just bought one 1080 instead of 2 980tis

And I seriously doubt that. Pics or it didn't happen

I had the first Hybrid since the Hybrid's launch, bought the second a few months after the 1080 launced. 

Pics of what, happy to provide. 

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I'm aware of that. But watch some of his other videos. He's far from inexperienced on the subject

And exactly. He pointed that out in the video. There was no CPU issues

And again, he said that he had more than enough PCIe lanes

And if that's so, then why did he have issues?

Stories people tell on the internet aren't always true. This is the Internet. 

Most of us remain anonymous behind monikers and false names. 

It's simple - he's talking shit

idk

Just now, App4that said:

I had the first Hybrid since the Hybrid's launch, bought the second a few months after the 1080 launced. 

Pics of what, happy to provide. 

Ah alright, in that case it would make sense to buy a second instead of a 1080. Gotcha

and fps results. Do a GTA V benchmark (if you have it) with and without SLI. Post results pls

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Ah alright, in that case it would make sense to buy a second instead of a 1080. Gotcha

and fps results. Do a GTA V benchmark (if you have it) with and without SLI. Post results pls

Bro, you sure you want that? I get really good scaling in GTA V. But OK. I'll work on that. 

Just now, Droidbot said:

Stories people tell on the internet aren't always true. This is the Internet. 

Most of us remain anonymous behind monikers and false names. 

It's simple - he's talking shit

I am aware

Wait so... everyone out there who doesn't like SLI is just shit talking? Every single one of them is wrong?

Holy shit you just blew my mind

Ohhhh.gif

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540