4x 980Ti vs 2x 1080Ti

paps511
Just now, Renton577 said:

I agree, from personal experience with 290x's in crossfire going past 2 seems to give you quite a lot of diminishing returns. So do you think 2 1080Ti's would take a minimum of a modern i7 then?

I haven't seen a CPU that can hang with 2 1080ti. Pretty much always a bottleneck, and depending on the game that can hit the fps pretty hard. The sweet spot for SLI with Pascal is the 1070, the 1080 is pushing it but if you run at higher resolution not a bad choice. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

I haven't seen a CPU that can hang with 2 1080ti. Pretty much always a bottleneck, and depending on the game that can hit the fps pretty hard. The sweet spot for SLI with Pascal is the 1070, the 1080 is pushing it but if you run at higher resolution not a bad choice. 

Guess that makes sense seeing as the higher resolution the bottleneck is more GPU bound. Thanks for the info, I've been trying to learn more about what bottlenecks different components recently after trying to put a 1050Ti in an older build

ROG Strix AMD

---------------

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HX GPU: AMD RX 6800M RAM: 16GB DDR4 Storage: 512GB + 1TB Intel SSD

2x 1080 Ti.

1. 4x SLI barely works for literally anything

2. Less heat

3. More room

4. Stronger capabilities/more VRAM. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2400 GPU: MSi GTX 1050 Ti 4GT OC RAM: 14GB DDR3 (3x2GB, 1x8GB) Mobo: Acer MB.GAU07.001 Case: Gateway DX4860 PSU: EVGA 600W Bronze Plus

On 4/5/2017 at 9:12 PM, Droidbot said:

Have fun running games on the first day without fucking around in Nvidia Inspector for 2h to get it to scale 25% on the second card.. 

SLI is still a stupid idea even with flagship cards. Forums and /r/Nvidia are full of people who have dumped 2x cards for a single card due to issues with SLI. Stuff like flickering in games, bad scaling, stuttering, etc. 

Used to have the opinion till I looked up the benchmarks. Your post is just plain wrong. Someone who knows a lot about will probably roast you over this.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

4 is clearly better than 2. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

7 hours ago, App4that said:

This is why this forum is useless.. People who don't know, try and advise.

SLI using 2 1080ti is silly, The reason the benches suck is you're banging off a CPU bottleneck no matter what CPU you have. Try 2 1070.

SLI is fantastic, I have found one game after months of use where disabling SLI is a benefit, that's War Thunder. In everything else it's a benefit to have it enabled. Draidbot, love the name btw, is just paroting old information. SLI takes seconds to enable, you don;t even have to reboot anymore. 

God damn it people, at least try.

One game, eh? List above had loads that either don't use SLi or just ignore the second card, making your investment less worth it. I'd rather a comparable single card and run all my games with the same performance every time

Fair point with the CPU bottleneck. It's true, that much GPU power in one system leaves the CPU behind. 

idk

op 1080tis ofc

as long time sli user did crossfire twice too but last was 6k series havent recently

8600gts 8800gtx 250gts 260 460 560ti 670 970 I believe I am missing another model number

went surround user at 260s, actually went tri sli couple times and that is complete waste 10% gains if it worked lol

but anyways I have never really had major issues besides one issue(overclocking thing) but needing to using ddu, inspector, edit files, etc doesnt take alot of time but is required for many or certain games, usually have to do it for surround now anyways

and for price wise usually got better performance than top card

actually just made the move to single 1080ti for now

On 4/8/2017 at 5:53 PM, Droidbot said:

One game, eh? List above had loads that either don't use SLi or just ignore the second card, making your investment less worth it. I'd rather a comparable single card and run all my games with the same performance every time

Fair point with the CPU bottleneck. It's true, that much GPU power in one system leaves the CPU behind. 

Do you run two cards every day? I do. Any title that doesn't support SLI, doesn't need it. The titles that do need both cards in action, support SLI.

SLI has a specific use, that's keeping older cards relivant. I ran one 980ti for the better part of a year, grabbed a used card for 300 bucks. That investment of 300 bucks gave me 1080ti level performance. That's why you're trained to hate on SLI, because you're addicted to new cards verses getting the most out of your investment. 

3 hours ago, App4that said:

Do you run two cards every day? I do. Any title that doesn't support SLI, doesn't need it. The titles that do need both cards in action, support SLI.

SLI has a specific use, that's keeping older cards relivant. I ran one 980ti for the better part of a year, grabbed a used card for 300 bucks. That investment of 300 bucks gave me 1080ti level performance. That's why you're trained to hate on SLI, because you're addicted to new cards verses getting the most out of your investment. 

Well, there was a lot of titles like BF1 and R6S in the list, but okay whatever. 

I'm 'addicted to new cards' because of one reason - just take a look at my signature and see if you can find it.

While if I had an mATX system I would try SLI with my 770 and another one off eBay just for the hell of it, I don't.

While it works for you, great! It's cool and it looks fucking dope in a system. Maybe will try it with 950s to see if I can push 970 performance?

But the original point we were debating was that SLI was 'perfect'. Anything that requires users to mess with bits and tweak stuff isn't perfect, and one guy with 1080Ti's in SLI agreed with me above. 

idk

2 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Well, there was a lot of titles like BF1 and R6S in the list, but okay whatever. 

I'm 'addicted to new cards' because of one reason - just take a look at my signature and see if you can find it.

While if I had an mATX system I would try SLI with my 770 and another one off eBay just for the hell of it, I don't.

While it works for you, great! It's cool and it looks fucking dope in a system. Maybe will try it with 950s to see if I can push 970 performance?

But the original point we were debating was that SLI was 'perfect'. Anything that requires users to mess with bits and tweak stuff isn't perfect, and one guy with 1080Ti's in SLI agreed with me above. 

Nothing is perfect

Damn which OS do You recommend

People use?  Doesn't Every single one requires tweaking

Doesn't every new release game need tweaking 

Doesn't amds new cpus require it 

Doesn't every time you buy new gpu require tweaking

Ok enough said

Just now, pas008 said:

Nothing is perfect

Damn which OS do You recommend

People use?  Doesn't Every single one requires tweaking

Doesn't every new release game need tweaking 

Doesn't amds new cpus require it 

Doesn't every time you buy new gpu require tweaking

Ok enough said

Fresh installing Windows 10 is painless and perfect for me, with old enough hardware. I boot up for the first time and it just works. 

Recently downloaded GTA (again), maxed it out (besides MSAA) and it worked fine. 

No experience with Ryzen, but cache speed boosts can be netted from OC. 

Pretty easy, just rip the old one out, put the new one in, reinstall drivers, and you're done.. 

A better example would be overclocking, but like SLI, not everybody overclocks

idk

14 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Fresh installing Windows 10 is painless and perfect for me, with old enough hardware. I boot up for the first time and it just works. 

Recently downloaded GTA (again), maxed it out (besides MSAA) and it worked fine. 

No experience with Ryzen, but cache speed boosts can be netted from OC. 

Pretty easy, just rip the old one out, put the new one in, reinstall drivers, and you're done.. 

A better example would be overclocking, but like SLI, not everybody overclocks

Point over your head

They all work but to get their best tweaking needs to be done

Fyi how was gta5 on release cause that's not new

21 hours ago, Droidbot said:

What do you have to tweak? I put in a second 980ti, enabled SLI, and ANY game where I needed the extra power is working perfectly.

No tweaking.

Rather than posting out of habit, try posting when you have relevant information. 

There's too many people speaking about SLI experience without actually having ran it ever or recently. You can't speak of experience because of what some numbers on a chart or some guys opinion on a YouTube video.

I had 2x 970's for around 18 months (i'm so sick of saying this) and in that time only Just Cause 3 (zero support) and Quantum Break (surprised?) caused me issues with SLI

No one is saying/or should say that SLI is amazing and you get 100% scaling - the truth is it varies from game to game and system to system. As @App4that stated, SLI performs where its needed, titles that offer little to no support generally don't need SLI.

Also, 2x 1080ti is pretty stupid right now, at least until Asus launch their 144hz 4k monitor, even then, CPU's are gonna have issues

And as I have always advised, don't build a rig utilising SLI from off unless it is 2 top of the range cards - aka I see a lot of people asking 1070 SLI or a 1080ti, clear answer is 1080ti same for 1080 SLI - yes 1080 SLI will give you more performance, but you have killed your upgrade path straight off when you could maybe of had a 1080ti and a 500gb SSD and added another ti (again as @App4that did with the 980ti) and I did with the second 970.

People need to stop looking at SLI as an elite performance thing, its a ,method for people to get more FPS out of their current system

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

My scores from my two 980Ti's barely edged out my single 1080ti and that was two matrixes vrs a founders card. After 2 cards SLI performance is questionable at best. 

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1

45 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

There's too many people speaking about SLI experience without actually having ran it ever or recently. You can't speak of experience because of what some numbers on a chart or some guys opinion on a YouTube video.

I had 2x 970's for around 18 months (i'm so sick of saying this) and in that time only Just Cause 3 (zero support) and Quantum Break (surprised?) caused me issues with SLI

No one is saying/or should say that SLI is amazing and you get 100% scaling - the truth is it varies from game to game and system to system. As @App4that stated, SLI performs where its needed, titles that offer little to no support generally don't need SLI.

Also, 2x 1080ti is pretty stupid right now, at least until Asus launch their 144hz 4k monitor, even then, CPU's are gonna have issues

And as I have always advised, don't build a rig utilising SLI from off unless it is 2 top of the range cards - aka I see a lot of people asking 1070 SLI or a 1080ti, clear answer is 1080ti same for 1080 SLI - yes 1080 SLI will give you more performance, but you have killed your upgrade path straight off when you could maybe of had a 1080ti and a 500gb SSD and added another ti (again as @App4that did with the 980ti) and I did with the second 970.

People need to stop looking at SLI as an elite performance thing, its a ,method for people to get more FPS out of their current system

I agree with most of what you are saying

not completely true how much longer was the 970 and 980 out before 980ti?

and same goes for 1070 and 1080 vs 1080ti

I enjoyed 970sli for long while before 980ti came out and I paid way less too

and they never killed their upgrade path cards can be sold many places

1080ti sli isnt useless right now do you know what resolution hz and games I play?

SLI is worthless when you consider the amount of money you need to put into it. When you're paying double the cost you would for one GPU and getting the exact same, if not worse performance, your money would literally be better spent on a ridiculous pc case that looks like a yacht or some shit (looking at you, Linus). Because at least then your PC would look dank as fuck. With SLI, you get generally worse performance (I know you don't get worse performance 100% of the time, but pretty much every time I've used SLI i've had assloads of microstutter, and worse framerates). Plus there's the fact that when you have 2 cards, your PC sounds like a jet engine taking off, generates more heat than a nuclear reactor, and draws a shit ton more power. This video does a pretty good job of explaining it i'd say

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

9 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

SLI is worthless when you consider the amount of money you need to put into it. When you're paying double the cost you would for one GPU and getting the exact same, if not worse performance, your money would literally be better spent on a ridiculous pc case that looks like a yacht or some shit (looking at you, Linus). Because at least then your PC would look dank as fuck. With SLI, you get generally worse performance (I know you don't get worse performance 100% of the time, but pretty much every time I've used SLI i've had assloads of microstutter, and worse framerates). Plus there's the fact that when you have 2 cards, your PC sounds like a jet engine taking off, generates more heat than a nuclear reactor, and draws a shit ton more power. This video does a pretty good job of explaining it i'd say

Wow. Over exaggerate much?

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H

Just now, Frankenburger said:

Wow. Over exaggerate much?

/s bud

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

6 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

/s bud

Just making sure. Sometimes it's difficult to tell considering the usual uninformed rants of the anti-SLI circle jerk.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Frankenburger said:

Just making sure. Sometimes it's difficult to tell considering the usual uninformed rants of the anti-SLI circle jerk.

I was serious for most of it. I'm informed, and that's why I dislike SLI. The only part where I was exaggerating was when I said it "sounded like a jet engine and made more heat than a reactor". But that was just a hyperbole

edit: Also, it's not really a circle jerk. Most people are just tired of companies like Nvidia making SLI, but leaving it completely unoptimized and then leaving it in the dust. SLI could have been the biggest revolution in PC's in quite some time. If Nvidia had made it right when they released it, everyone could just pick up a second 1080 and run Crysis 3 at 4k Ultra settings 18x msaa 120fps.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

I was serious for most of it. I'm informed, and that's why I dislike SLI. The only part where I was exaggerating was when I said it "sounded like a jet engine and made more heat than a reactor". But that was just a hyperbole

Saying things like

21 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

When you're paying double the cost you would for one GPU and getting the exact same, if not worse performance

and

22 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

With SLI, you get generally worse performance

Does not make you sound informed.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

Just now, Frankenburger said:

Saying things like

and

Does not make you sound informed.

Do you not pay the same amount for both GPUs when you get SLI? Or are you just dumb? If I buy two 1080s from Newegg, is one going to cost $500, while the other costs $300?

And are you gonna try to argue that you get better performance with SLI? It's just beating a dead horse. It's been proven over and over that SLI will get you the same performance at best. If anything besides optimal conditions for SLI, you'll perform worse. Watch the video I linked earlier. He specifically states that he could max out gta v at 4k on one 1080ti and get better performance than on 2. And there's many more cases. Battlefront, for example. I've used it with and without SLI, and when you use SLI, there so much jittering and microstutter it makes the game unplayable.

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Hm. I guess my system is broken then, because I'm clearly getting lower frame rates and more stutter on a single 1080Ti than I am with both 1080Ti's in SLI.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

1 hour ago, N1ghtshade said:

I was serious for most of it. I'm informed, and that's why I dislike SLI.

No, you're just another misinformed hater...

SLI is for when there isn't a single card powerful enough to get the job done, or you're looking to get the most out of your current investment. What haters like you miss.