Only a small subset of Windows phones to get Creators Update

Nowak

Sauce: http://www.zdnet.com/article/only-a-subset-of-windows-phones-will-get-windows-10-creators-update/

creators-update-1.jpg

Remember when "no fragmentation" was an advantage of Windows 10 Mobile over Android? Yeah, me neither. Anyway, only a small number of Windows phones are going to be receiving the Creators Update, which is due to be released on April 25th for phones.

Few in the remaining one percent of smartphone users who have Windows Phones will likely be surprised, but only a subset of existing handsets will be getting the Windows 10 Creators Update release.

Between dwindling app support and, as a consequence, dwindling users, a lack of consumer interest, mixed reception for the last few Windows phones released and accusations of Microsoft not being committed to the OS and Windows Phone subsequently having no future despite what executives claim, Windows Phone can't catch a break, huh? According to ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley, only these Windows phones are getting the Creators Update:

• Alcatel IDOL 4S
  • Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL
  • HP Elite x3
  • Lenovo Softbank 503LV
  • MCJ Madosma Q601
  • Microsoft Lumia 550
  • Microsoft Lumia 640/640XL
  • Microsoft Lumia 650
  • Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
  • Trinity NuAns Neo
  • VAIO VPB051

It's not like Windows Phone users without those phones are missing much anyway, the Creators Update doesn't bring anything new to phones. However, this doesn't bode well for Microsoft's future commitment to their mobile efforts, considering how many users on older phones are being left in the dust. And yes, this list is, apparently, accurate and final.

"Beginning this month, Microsoft will release the Creators Update for Windows 10 customers including those using Windows 10 Mobile. As has been the case with pervious Windows updates, a device may not be able to receive the Creators Update if the device hardware is incompatible, lacking current drivers, or otherwise outside of the Original Equipment Manufacturer's ('OEM') support period. These devices will continue to receive security and servicing fixes according to our OS support policy. The full list of supported devices will be posted on the Product Lifecycle page soon."

This just continues Microsoft's trend of sell-offs, layoffs and decisions against releasing new Microsoft-branded phones, instead selling a lightly customized version of the Samsung Galaxy S8, as well as obsoleting older phones that can apparently otherwise run the updates, despite Microsoft persistently claiming it is not leaving the mobile market.

What do you think? Do you think Microsoft should just pull the plug on their lemon of a mobile OS already? Let me know below!

What are the other phones, though? Is it a legitimate "we can't do it"? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

What are the other phones, though? Is it a legitimate "we can't do it"? 

Planned obsolescence, most likely.

Just now, Daring said:

Planned obsolescence, most likely.

Everyone is guilty of that, but what's the hardware on the other phones? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Everyone is guilty of that, but what's the hardware on the other phones? 

Not sure I'm getting what you mean?

Meanwhile, iOS devices running as late as the A7 chip (iPhone 5s, iPad Air) will still receive the next iOS 11 update. 

9 minutes ago, Daring said:

What do you think? Do you think Microsoft should just pull the plug on their lemon of a mobile OS already? Let me know below!

They should. Even though they're not really spending that much money in maintaining Windows Phone, it's not really financially sustainable and could hurt the reputation of Windows in the long run. Come on Microsoft, it's time to waive the white flag of defeat. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Meanwhile, iOS devices running as late as the A7 chip (iPhone 5s, iPad Air) will still receive the next iOS 11 update. 

They should. Even though they're not really spending that much money in maintaining Windows Phone, it's not really financially sustainable and could hurt the reputation of Windows in the long run. Come on Microsoft, it's time to waive the white flag of defeat. 

The issue is that Apple uses iOS as a way to kill older devices, especially the performance. iPhone 4 iOS7, iPhone 4S iOS8, iPhone 5 iOS9.. 

At least when Google stops supporting a device they leave it smooth and fast feeling. 

idk

8 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

The issue is that Apple uses iOS as a way to kill older devices, especially the performance. iPhone 4 iOS7, iPhone 4S iOS8, iPhone 5 iOS9.. 

At least when Google stops supporting a device they leave it smooth and fast feeling. 

My iPad Air from 2013 got the iOS 10.3 update which significantly boosted performance and stability thanks to their new file system APFS and they're now stripping off 32-bit compatibility.

Edited by hey_yo_
changes "not" to "now", typing on a touchscreen makes you commit errors more

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

My iPad Air from 2013 got the iOS 10.3 update which significantly boosted performance and stability thanks to their new file system APFS and they're not stripping off 32-bit compatibility. 

that's 10.3, wait for 11 and see, I assume they're gonna do the same as the past and murder the perf

idk

18 minutes ago, Daring said:

Not sure I'm getting what you mean?

I think @ARikozuM is wondering which are the models of Windows phones that will not be receiving the update and what are the hardware differences between them and the ones receiving the update.I don't think there are that many phones that currently run Windows as it is.  

Just now, WMGroomAK said:

I think @ARikozuM is wondering which are the models of Windows phones that will not be receiving the update and what are the hardware differences between them and the ones receiving the update.I don't think there are that many phones that currently run Windows as it is.  

Basically, only those 13 phones listed are getting the update. Every other phone, many of which are 3 years old (which is ancient in phone years), will not be getting the update.

1 minute ago, Daring said:

Basically, only those 13 phones listed are getting the update. Every other phone, many of which are 3 years old (which is ancient in phone years), will not be getting the update.

Just as an update (finally getting around to reading the article), this was in the article mentioned:

Update: A number of Windows Phone users are pointing out on Twitter that they have handsets other than the ones listed that can and are running Insider builds of Windows 10 Creators Update for Mobile. I cannot tell you why those handsets are not on the list above. Maybe the list will be updated. Maybe this is "planned obsolescence." I don't know.

Just as an update (finally getting around to reading the article), this was in the article mentioned:

Yes, a number of phones were able to run Insider builds, but are apparently not getting the final build.

Just now, Daring said:

Yes, a number of phones were able to run Insider builds, but are apparently not getting the final build.

Not so sure on that...  It could be that the authors contacts had not yet included those phones as they had not been completely validated.  Even the article mentions that the author is not sure whether the list is complete or final.

Just now, Daring said:

this is like the nexus 6 7.1 thing,

where 7.1 was the last released normal build whereas 7.1.1 was the last insider build

and 7.1 update came for 7.1.1 users lmao

idk

Not so sure on that...  It could be that the authors contacts had not yet included those phones as they had not been completely validated.  Even the article mentions that the author is not sure whether the list is complete or final.

Mary Jo Foley is usually accurate on Microsoft things, unless it involves a certain unicorn of a phone.

Why bother.

4 minutes ago, Daring said:

Mary Jo Foley is usually accurate on Microsoft things, unless it involves a certain unicorn of a phone.

I think the question would be if they are supporting the Lumia 550 which only has 1 GB of RAM, a Snapdragon 210 and 8GB of storage, then how come they would not be able to support other models with similar or better specs.  Is there something else either hardware side or manufacturer bloatware wise that is preventing Windows from installing?  As to Mary jo Foley's accuracy, even in her article, she does not sound certain that this is a finalized list, just the ones that she has some verification from her contacts as are expected to receive the update.

While competition is usually good I do kind of wish Windows Phone would just go away.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 hour ago, Daring said:

Considering my old Transformer Prime TF201 (Tegra 3 @1.2GHz all 4 big cores with 1 little core @ 500MHz with 1GB of RAM+64GB SSD) runs Android 6.0.1, despite being from 2011....age isn't an excuse for lacking support.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

41 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Considering my old Transformer Prime TF201 (Tegra 3 @1.2GHz all 4 big cores with 1 little core @ 500MHz with 1GB of RAM+64GB SSD) runs Android 6.0.1, despite being from 2011....age isn't an excuse for lacking support.

But you had to install the 6.0.1 rom on it, correct?  I have a TF201 and a TF700, I don't think those would officially update beyond jellybean.

Just recently started using them again, I should probably just put something newer on it.  The TF700 with 4.2.1 feels noticeably slower than the TF201.

Transformer tablets aside, installing a custom rom yourself isn't really comparable to the manufacturer not supporting some devices, especially if you could get the update through something like fast ring.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

1 hour ago, Phate.exe said:

But you had to install the 6.0.1 rom on it, correct?  I have a TF201 and a TF700, I don't think those would officially update beyond jellybean.

Just recently started using them again, I should probably just put something newer on it.  The TF700 with 4.2.1 feels noticeably slower than the TF201.

Transformer tablets aside, installing a custom rom yourself isn't really comparable to the manufacturer not supporting some devices, especially if you could get the update through something like fast ring.

I had to install it yes. And I found that the TF201 runs a hell of a lot better than it did 4.1.1  And the point is that the older devices which aren't officially supported run the newer OS versions just fine-and for the most part (if they have 1GB+ RAM) see a large increase in performance.

Edit: On a side note, a first generation Nexus which is also made by Asus also with 1GB of RAM+ a lower clocked Tegra 3 has updates right up to Android 5.1.1, so as far as I'm concerned if a lower end device from the same manufacturer has official support for a newer OS than the higher end device, than the higher end device officially supports the newer OS . BTW Android 6.0.1 is a big deal for the Eeepad transformer series due to their design.  They are excellent for multitasking and with a USB hub and HDMI cable can be used as lightweight (physically and in regards to software) desktop replacements-which happen to scroll through webpages far smoother than my desktop with its GTX 970+4790K.

PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

BTW Android 6.0.1 is a big deal for the Eeepad transformer series due to their design.  They are excellent for multitasking and with a USB hub and HDMI cable can be used as lightweight (physically and in regards to software) desktop replacements-which happen to scroll through webpages far smoother than my desktop with its GTX 970+4790K.

I replaced a 17in Dell Studio with a TF201 and keyboard dock as my go to class computer.  Then dropped it, shattered the 201 (which still works but the power button is crushed), and bought a TF700.

This excites me, and I'll probably fiddle with this for a bit tomorrow.  Mostly displaced the transformer with a 13in zenbook because it was laggy on the asus jellybean rom, and decent on the kitkat(?) rom I had on it after, but not much lighter than the laptop.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

2 minutes ago, Phate.exe said:

I replaced a 17in Dell Studio with a TF201 and keyboard dock as my go to class computer.  Then dropped it, shattered the 201 (which still works but the power button is crushed), and bought a TF700.

This excites me, and I'll probably fiddle with this for a bit tomorrow.  Mostly displaced the transformer with a 13in zenbook because it was laggy on the asus jellybean rom, and decent on the kitkat(?) rom I had on it after, but not much lighter than the laptop.

It runs smoothly under 5.1 and better again under 6.0.1 so you should be able to get more use out of it. People noticed that with each of the updates after Ice Cream Sandwich the performance of their TF201 increased. Just remember that the Wifi/Bluetooth/GPS reception sucks unless you have the tablet at just the right angle.

PMSL