Hello

This is my first post, so I'm sorry if I write something in the wrong place. A couple months ago, I bought a new motherboard (GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P), but when I installed it it just didn't turn on.

Hours of messing around later I noticed that it does in fact turn on about 10-15 minutes after I press the power button. This seems to take longer after I switch off the PSU. I also noticed that the LED on my mouse was very faint at first, around 5-10 minutes it was fine, another 5 or so minutes later, the computer turns on. I brought the motherboard to the shop to see if that was the problem, but no, it ran fine on their testbench. So I put the older board back in, and it was working fine, but after a couple weeks the same started happening, although it takes less time to turn on. And just a couple weeks ago I noticed that my GPU started thermal throttling, overheating. It usually stays around 75-80 degrees under load, but now it goes up to 115 before throttling down to 400mhz from 1150. I personally think it's the PSU, but I wanted to ask here for confirmation. I hope you guys can help me solve this problem.

My specs:

Motherboard: Old: GIGABYTE  GA-78LMT-S2P, New: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P

CPU: AMD FX-6100, stock specs no OC applied

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR5, OC'd: Core: 1150mhz(1000mhz stock, 1050 with boost), Memory: 1300mhz (1150 stock)

RAM: 2GB Kingmax nano 1333mhz DDR3 + 4GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1333mhz

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM

PSU: Akasa 500W 80+

Two additional case fans, both 120mm.

1 minute ago, sethy55 said:

is anything shorting out it?

No, at least I don't think so.

Not sure why a GPU would be running hotter because of a PSU, these things have voltage and power regulators built in. Is it getting hotter inside of your case?

Just now, sethy55 said:

do you have any Molex fans 

Yes, onw of my case fans is a molex one.

1 minute ago, mrzoltowski said:

Not sure why a GPU would be running hotter because of a PSU, these things have voltage and power regulators built in. Is it getting hotter inside of your case?

Yes, inside, haven't tried running it outside yet. i also fully cleaned it a couple days ago, reapplied thermal paste and everything.

Just now, Dr.Sparklefart said:

Yes, inside, haven't tried running it outside íet. i also fully cleaned it a couple days ago, reapplied thermal paste and everything.

Take everything out, disconnect, check all connectors, re-seat everything, hook up everything outside of the case, reset your BIOS settings to default.

unconnect the mobo 24 + 8  and the graphic card 

15 minutes ago, Dr.Sparklefart said:

Hello

This is my first post, so I'm sorry if I write something in the wrong place. A couple months ago, I bought a new motherboard (GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P), but when I installed it it just didn't turn on.

Hours of messing around later I noticed that it does in fact turn on about 10-15 minutes after I press the power button. This seems to take longer after I switch off the PSU. I also noticed that the LED on my mouse was very faint at first, around 5-10 minutes it was fine, another 5 or so minutes later, the computer turns on. I brought the motherboard to the shop to see if that was the problem, but no, it ran fine on their testbench. So I put the older board back in, and it was working fine, but after a couple weeks the started happening, although it takes less time to turn on. And just a couple weeks ago I noticed that my GPU started thermal throttling, overheating. It usually stays around 75-80 degrees under load, but now it goes up to 115 before throttling down to 400mhz from 1150. I personally think it's the PSU, but I wanted to ask here for confirmation. I hope you guys can help me solve this problem.

My specs:

Motherboard: Old: GIGABYTE  GA-78LMT-S2P, New: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P

CPU: AMD FX-6100, stock specs no OC applied

GPU: Sapphire Radeon R7 250 2GB GDDR5, OC'd: Core: 1150mhz(1000mhz stock, 1050 with boost), Memory: 1300mhz (1150 stock)

RAM: 2GB Kingmax nano 1333mhz DDR3 + 4GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1333mhz

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM

PSU: Akasa 500W 80+

Two additional case fans, both 120mm.

Considering Akasa makes sports balls and other random equipment that aren't computer power supplies my best guess is that your PSU is crappy and you should replace it. Don't need to spend a ton of money replacing it with an R7 250, maybe grab an EVGA 450B or the like.

EDIT: I'm thinking of Mikasa (oops), but regardless the only other PC-related stuff Akasa makes are computer fans. I'd still assume it's a poor-quality unit.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, sethy55 said:

unconnect the mobo 24 + 8  and the graphic card 

How can I test my PSU like that? Sorry never done it before.

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Considering Akasa makes sports balls and other random equipment that aren't computer power supplies my best guess is that your PSU is crappy and you should replace it. Don't need to spend a ton of money replacing it with an R7 250, maybe grab an EVGA 450B or the like.

Thanks, I will defenetely consider it.

3 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Take everything out, disconnect, check all connectors, re-seat everything, hook up everything outside of the case, reset your BIOS settings to default.

Will try.

Just now, sethy55 said:

jump the ps 

Which pins should I jump?

Just now, sethy55 said:

F6A1YT2IKJ8IFFH.MEDIUM.jpg

Thanks, will try it as soon as I can.

20 hours ago, sethy55 said:

F6A1YT2IKJ8IFFH.MEDIUM.jpg

Jumped the psu, my molex fan worked fine, I could also hear my HDD spin up along with my optical drive. What does this mean?

now plug everything in but take the GPU out

2 minutes ago, sethy55 said:

now plug everything in but take the GPU out

I'll try it in a second.