Microsoft shares what it collectes in Windows 10 Telemetry data

GoodBytes

Mr Donald Trump appeared in one of my live tiles on day 1 when I started using windows 10

I laughed 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Where was it available besides a basic description? Even on microsoft's site the extended description was added in March 2017, and the source can't get more original than Microsoft.

If one were willing to dig, Microsoft's Developer network.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Where was it available besides a basic description? Even on microsoft's site the extended description was added in March 2017, and the source can't get more original than Microsoft.

Very true. Microsoft was vague on this topic, which is (well now: was) an issue.

However, at a brief level, in the privacy policy Microsoft did explain things clearly in plain English, but sadly... many people took sentences out of context and overthink things.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If one were willing to dig, Microsoft's Developer network.

I wasn't willing to dig because I wasn't concerned with sensationalist articles.

Still, doesn't make sense that news sources all agree this information is being disclosed for the first time... Then again from what I've seen in the news this pat year maybe it does.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

55 minutes ago, JediFragger said:

At the very least use Spybot Anti-Beacon to block all Win10 telemetry (at least I fuckin hope it does!!) :D

I have bad news.. it doesn't. Although, it is a "1 click easy solution" to go through all the settings and hit Disable (affecting software and OS experience that may or may not affect you).

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

-

Now this is an actual constructive and informative reply, I appreciate you took the time and effort to elaborate it, don't worry though I did do the full winaero process as well to be covered and by all means I do use Firefox as default browser, Telegram and others instead too.

It is rather interesting how well you know that uploader's background and all the better to know better about him and his potential biased.

Don't get me wrong, I really like to learn more about this stuff as much as I can, working with information systems is a constant learning after all, whilst your original reply was rather picking on me without any real explaining, now you have provided it and I can only say thank you.

Edit* Will check on the https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/configure-windows-telemetry-in-your-organization

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

13 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

uses Android

Jerry actually uses iOS.

56 minutes ago, HarryNyquist said:

Enjoy being flooded with viruses in 3 years!

Sure buddy, sure.

1 hour ago, Aurora906 said:

Kind of forced to if you wanna game on pc..  Do you believe MS is honest and telling you everything?  

Probably not. I don't know why I should care though

25 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Now this is an actual constructive and informative reply, I appreciate you took the time and effort to elaborate it, don't worry though I did do the full winaero process as well to be covered and by all means I do use Firefox as default browser, Telegram and others instead too.

Thanks! I really appreciate it! and Awesome!

It is rather interesting how well you know that uploader's background and all the better to know better about him and his potential biased.

I used to follow him, he had good content. Until, more and more things start to not make sense, and too much miss information, when the information is right there, in front of him. Oh choose to ignore it for a sensational video, and ignores people comments that correct or bring information to his attention to place a correction in his video or make a new video to inform people properly, or re-upload. Very sad, actually.

Don't get me wrong, I really like to learn more about this stuff as much as I can, working with information systems is a constant learning after all, whilst your original reply was rather picking on me without any real explaining, now you have provided it and I can only say thank you.

Apologies for this. I tend to reply too quickly due to multi-tasking.

35 minutes ago, Daring said:

Jerry actually uses iOS.

So he finally switch. Good to hear.

2 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So he finally switch. Good to hear.

He's actually been an iOS user since eons ago.

Just now, Daring said:

He's actually been an iOS user since eons ago.

His primary phone was the OnePlus series. So I won't say "eons" maybe 1 year or so?

Just now, GoodBytes said:

His primary phone was the OnePlus series.

Oh, right. He used OnePlus phones for a while. Seems to be back to iOS now tho.

1 hour ago, Aurora906 said:

I wish i could be so naive, no offense.  I dont trust any of them,  We got smart TVs spying on us, why do you think your pc isnt? :D    

I guess it is more like the lesser of three evils or something lol.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

1- You didn't read shit, because it includes exactly what it collects. But here is the link for Basic: https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

Wow sounds like I hit a nerve. Sorry about that. Yeah I was basing that on the summary you posted, which contains lines like "Additional data about the device, connectivity and configuration, beyond that collected at Basic." which is in fact, very vague.

Thanks for the link though. I'll look through it.

Edit: Yeah that's still kind of vague but I am not sure if that's just me not knowing enough Windows terms, if Windows is poorly documented (because I can't find info about it on Google) or if Microsoft is deliberately being vague.

The first thing the link you posted says is that at basic level it collects:

expId Associates a flight, such as an OS flight, or an experiment, such as a web site UX experiment, with an event.

Can you please explain to me what that is?

And can you please explain to me what they mean when they say they collect an expId for things such as a web site UX experiment?

If it's not vague then you should be able to explain this to me, right?

2- and 3-  B.S Just hating for hating

How is 2 and 3 "just hating for hating"?

You know, calling someone a hater is not a good argument.

Of course it doesn't. You are closed minded. Even if there was a disable button, you would say that they collect even more than Full, because NSA, etc.

I am not close minded. The difference between you and I is that I don't take things at face value. Instead I actually test things. Do I need to remind you of all the times I have had to prove you wrong regarding what Microsoft do and don't do?

I would not say they collected even more than full, unless I had actually tested it.

1 hour ago, mattebad said:

I agree with you, competent users will get annoyed because it's another obstacle in place to use what should be seemingly basic features of windows. The problem here is that they won't move away from windows since it's the only real open platform and universally supported, while also being as simple to use as anything. If they do move, they'll probably head to Linux which is an even smaller subset of competent users. Basically, the way I see it, Microsoft hedged their bets and estimated how many people they'd lose from the userbase of windows with these changes while making it more accessible for the idiot user/masses and they determined the loss would be miniscule, otherwise, they wouldn't have done it.

Indeed, it's extremely difficult to switch away from Windows. I switched to Linux on my Laptop, but still dual boot my desktop. Lack of a viable alternative I think is partly to blame for the resentment of some Windows users, they are aware they're being held over a barrel.

Windows is in a strange position, Microsoft saw the direction of travel quite late, Apple and Google completely took over computing in the Phone & Tablet market (admittedly by creating it), to the point where casual use has largely moved away from the desktop. Microsoft have attempted to create the same sort of ecosystem for generating revenue, but have failed on most accounts. Their app store hasn't taken off, their hardware seems niche at best (surfaces / phones etc). I can't imagine they're generating much revenue from apps, or advertising. They're probably making more cash from selling Office products on Android / iOS.

The general consensus from desktop users, seems to be that we don't want these sort of intrusive trade offs for a free OS, we'd rather just pay a price for a product and be left in peace to run our systems as we like. All in all, if desktop users continue to complain, if desktop marketshare starts to fall, and the Google style revenue systems fail to develop. They'll hopefully start making changes.

Ky logger logs your every key that is typed. Keystroke, as it says it removes, the best it can, all personal information, and send stroke segments to improve ink to text conversion that Windows support.

all good and dandy - not

can the keylogger be disabled?! nop! so .....

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

all good and dandy - not

can the keylogger be disabled?! nop! so .....

And do you hold this view to your phone's keyboard as well as autocorrect? Do you disable those on your phone as well? so.....

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Going through you'll see that no, there is indeed no keylogger, no spying, no NSA stuff, etc... Telemetry data, and has no goal in contains any personal information.

The only thing, is if you Edge, similarly to Chrome, your web history is passed to Microsoft, if you have the setting set to "Full".

Is this some kind of "undercover cop must answer 'yes' if asked whether he's polcie" joke?

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

That would be illegal.

Of course not.

3 hours ago, mattebad said:

You could argue pretty much any autocorrect/learning keyboard is a keylogger then.

They are.

3 hours ago, mattebad said:

I think the whole hullabaloo surrounding the "privacy concerns" for Windows 10 are ridiculous. Your phones have "keyloggers", track your location, and use advertising across devices already as do desktop browsers.

And as MS joins them, it gets the same flak as those do. What is surprising about it? People use spyphones and complain about privacy, the same as they use Windows and complain about privacy.

3 hours ago, shermantanker said:

I would trust Microsoft over Google/Facebook when it comes to privacy any day of the week.

Possibly, although that isn't precisely hard to achieve :P 

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Unless you haven't updated Windows 7 in quite some time, the same telemetry is present.

True. But the fact that it came as an afterthought, rather than being built in for scratch, makes it possible to restore Windows 7 to its pre-telemetry state.

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

It doesn't. Spybot Anti-Beacon and most similar software use the hosts file which some telemetry bypass completely. Some even bypass DNS lookup because the IP address is already hardcoded into the OS. I have all telemetry hostnames and IP addresses blocked on my home router. Thats the way to absolutely kill telemetry because Windows can't work around the firmware of an external device. 

Shit! Ok thanks, I'll look into doing that.

Don't know if these Microsoft telemetry data lists were posted yet, but here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/windows-diagnostic-data

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

5 hours ago, Enderman said:

Lol, you think windows 7 takes any less telemetry than windows 10? xD

That's like saying 'Lol, you think your bathtub has less water in it than the Pacific Ocean?'.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Don't know if these Microsoft telemetry data lists were posted yet, but here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/windows-diagnostic-data

https://technet.microsoft.com/itpro/windows/configure/basic-level-windows-diagnostic-events-and-fields

That's like saying 'Lol, you think your bathtub has less water in it than the Pacific Ocean?'.

No, it's like saying "lol you think you bathtub water is less wet than ocean water?"

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's good they're addressing the concerns though and show changes too. 
I mean it's nice to like help with basic diagnostics if something crashes and such so it can be known how and why to further improve. But I get that 'too much' factor as far as what the system is asking to so called look for. Would be interesting to see someone test the system after the update and everything disabled, just how much and what it reads and sends. I remember such was done once W10 was released.

I personally disable everything anyway, via Windows and other tools so the OS is pretty much 'offline' in a sense.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |