Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Droidbot
4 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Shit, it's based on the BX100 design but performs better. Stays T3, but I might change it. It's discontinued, so keep that in mind. 

https://img.purch.com/r/600x450/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9PL1QvNjA3NDIxL29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDAxLnBuZw==

uhhhhhhhhh

https://img.purch.com/o/aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9QL0ovNjA3NDQ3L29yaWdpbmFsL2ltYWdlMDI4LnBuZw==

double uhhhhhh

keep in mind it's actually differing, some units can be very good whereas others can be different, this is because of a different bill of materials for each unit and each purchase date. 

got mine at the end of last summer and im pretty sure it preforms about on par with the equivlent MX300, or atleast did when i ran crystal disk mark when i got it. maybe the 240GB version just preforms way better or something. il see if i can find the benchmark runs when i get home

**edit*

either way i dont think it deservs to be the same teir as the V300

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Flavio hc 16 said:

the controller is a the  il controller Silicon Motion SM2256K  with TLC modules

from their sites

kingdian s280:These are SATA III SSDs with capacities of 120GB to 480GB  and maximum read/write speeds of 560/380 using the SMI2256 controller.

http://www.king-dian.com/sata

I found a Russian review on it, but due to the lack of reliable English-language reviews it will not be included. 

idk

put the SP550 down where it belongs - suffers from cell voltage drift just as 840EVO

no intel love? i have some old intel 520 that are solid but must be outdated now.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

put the SP550 down where it belongs - suffers from cell voltage drift just as 840EVO

just saw your comment on Anand, will correct it now. 

good proof by the way

idk

Great work!

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

9 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I found a Russian review on it, but due to the lack of reliable English-language reviews it will not be included. 

I will do the Russian translation for you 

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

http://www.3dnews.ru/937434

Thanks, komrad

I will read the conclusion only for now, too late and the site has no mobile aupport

Just like the PSU tier list, this suffers a lot because there's no viable way to rate any component on a linear scale. I suppose it's impossible to ever win the battle against one-size-fits-all lists, so I guess I'll just bring up a few specific issues.

The BP5E, Trion 150, SL308, and some others are very low-end for reliability (small lithography planar TLC) yet rank very highly.

Triactor above Reactor? CS2111 and CS1311 above the Reactor? The BX100 was a pretty good drive and so were its clones (not so much arguing for them to be elevated as for the PNY's and Triactor to go down... and the LE, and BP5e). Also seems like there's no appreciation for the endurance difference between TLC and MLC, with reliability heavily in favor of older large lithography MLC flash.

In general, I can't tell what the tiers indicate. Drives aren't really being ranked by reliability (no distinctions made for MLC vs TLC), and I can't tell what kinds of performance are being looked at (obviously not CDM in isolation). What are they being ranked based on?

The graphs translation (in order of appearance) unit mb/s unless state otherwise

Sequential read

Seq write

Seq write over time (sec) 

Random read

Random read (dafuq is qd i have to read) 

Random read (the line graph 4 commands) 

Random write (line graph) 

Random write

Randim write

Random write (line,  4KB) 

Random write (line 4 commands) 

Seq load

Random load

Random load (continuous operarions)

Random load (random op)

Random write (GB) the one with IOPS

Random write

Random write (new ssd - 2hr load - simpe 15mins - trim) 

Crystaldiskmark

Bunch of pcmark

After pcmark

File copying

Archiving file 

Unarchiving (extracting)  file

Game load FC4

Program load

17 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

http://www.3dnews.ru/937434

Thanks, komrad

Cinclusion: budget, still falls behind Ultra II and evo 750, made in china, TLC, single core controller sm2256

Article compares it to sp550 for similar performance but recommends it due to adata being a well known brand 

tells people to pay bit more for adata

7 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Just like the PSU tier list, this suffers a lot because there's no viable way to rate any component on a linear scale. I suppose it's impossible to ever win the battle against one-size-fits-all lists, so I guess I'll just bring up a few specific issues.

The BP5E, Trion 150, SL308, and some others are very low-end for reliability (small lithography planar TLC) yet rank very highly.

Triactor above Reactor? CS2111 and CS1311 above the Reactor? The BX100 was a pretty good drive and so were its clones (not so much arguing for them to be elevated as for the PNY's and Triactor to go down... and the LE, and BP5e). Also seems like there's no appreciation for the endurance difference between TLC and MLC, with reliability heavily in favor of older large lithography MLC flash.

In general, I can't tell what the tiers indicate. Drives aren't really being ranked by reliability (no distinctions made for MLC vs TLC), and I can't tell what kinds of performance are being looked at (obviously not CDM in isolation). What are they being ranked based on?

Fair point

Not too sure, but they're ranked on performance. They are reviewed by lots of places quite highly, and perform quite well. Will add remarks about the reliability. 

BX100 was a very good drive, and I heard that the Triactor was good, but I'm not sure about that, so corrected. The CS1311 has been hovering around as well, should probably take that down a little bit and seperate CS1311 and CS2111 since the 2111 appears higher in Anandtech's Destroyer benchmark. 

82039.png

Ranks are based on raw seq performance and extreme load performance, not sure about reliability for some of them. 

idk

the kingston V300's don't deserve to be that far down. This seems biased.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

the kingston V300's don't deserve to be that far down. This seems biased.

based on the shitty stuff that Kingston pulled it does deserve to be

idk

20 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I agree...my aunt bought a V300 SSD because it was on sale and she just learned that SSDs were all fast...but not that they weren't all created equal...the speeds dropped a lot over time for her.

Haha, I buy Sandisk Extreme Pro drives (Also have two Sandisk Extreme 2 SSDs) myself, mostly because I trust Sandisk pretty well. My cousin got burned by the 840 fiasco, even with the latest firmware. However, I've done several builds and have seen great things with the 850 Evo SSDs. I'll probably stick to Sandisk though.

I hope you managed to get pinned, the list looks pretty good to me.

Which tier of SSDs would you guys pick for my 5 year old laptop with an i7 2670qm processor and no gpu.He will be used for another 2-3 years for office stuff and watching streams. 

I thought about buying the samsung evo 850 used?

Just now, Teddy07 said:

Which tier of SSDs would you guys pick for my 5 year old laptop with an i7 2670qm processor and no gpu.He will be used for another 2-3 years for office stuff and watching streams. 

OCZ VX500 or Vector 180 or the SK Hynix one from OP

VX is lightweight and very power efficient = longer battery life

So is Vector

And so is the SK one

idk

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

there is literally no logic in that, i bet you have never even owned or used a V300. By your logic, macbooks are amongst the lowest performing laptops on the market, purely because Apple are a "shitty" company.

I hope you learn that a company's approach to business doesn't really have anything to do with the manufacturing quality of their products. Especially if you are posting a topic which aims to teach lay people about SSD quality. All you have done is spread misinformation based on your own personal opinions.

Professional Shitposter

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Just now, DnFx91 said:

there is literally no logic in that, i bet you have never even owned or used a V300. By your logic, macbooks are amongst the lowest performing laptops on the market, purely because Apple are a "shitty" company.

I hope you learn that a company's approach to business doesn't really have anything to do with the manufacturing quality of their products. Especially if you are posting a topic which aims to teach lay people about SSD quality. All you have done is spread misinformation based on your own personal opinions.

Professional Shitposter

i've used one

it was not ssd-feeling, felt like a bargain basement OEM SSD or a 10k rpm sata drive more than a proper consumer SSD in some tasks. i returned it and bought 840 EVO, which has the nand problem where it deteriorates quickly due to the flaws it has, and I recognise that. even with the problem it performs quite well, which is different to the v300 unit I had. while it felt fast in windows handling uncompressed files it choked like a bitch and I scrounged up enough money to upgrade to a samsung ssd anyway

switching to 20nm low-quality nand from 19nm high quality nand and hoping nobody would notice was a douche move on their part, and while it could have been a good quality part if they had known what they were doing when switching nand. that's what sandisk and other oems do all the time as prices fluctuate on nand and controller prices (why I put SSD PLUS at t4, as it has variation in performance, but it is good and cheap for standard use)  and Kingston has learned since then.

i didn't say enough in my first post - my fault - but please learn before flipping out at me 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

i've used one

it was not ssd-feeling, felt like a bargain basement OEM SSD or a 10k rpm sata drive more than a proper consumer SSD in some tasks. i returned it and bought 840 EVO, which has the nand problem where it deteriorates quickly due to the flaws it has, and I recognise that. even with the problem it performs quite well, which is different to the v300 unit I had. while it felt fast in windows handling uncompressed files it choked like a bitch and I scrounged up enough money to upgrade to a samsung ssd anyway

switching to 20nm low-quality nand from 19nm high quality nand and hoping nobody would notice was a douche move on their part, and while it could have been a good quality part if they had known what they were doing when switching nand. that's what sandisk and other oems do all the time as prices fluctuate on nand and controller prices (why I put SSD PLUS at t4, as it has variation in performance, but it is good and cheap for standard use)  and Kingston has learned since then.

i didn't say enough in my first post - my fault - but please learn before flipping out at me 

still bullshit, after 5 minutes of research i can see that V300's perform pretty much middle of the road, you must have had a bad one or something. 

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

still bullshit, after 5 minutes of research i can see that V300's perform pretty much middle of the road, you must have had a bad one or something. 

What reviews are you looking at?

Most of the review units were 19nm toshiba nand whereas the consumer units were 19nm for a short amount of time then they switched to 20nm micron nand which smashed the performance quite a bit..

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7763/an-update-to-kingston-ssdnow-v300-a-switch-to-slower-micron-nand

v300synch-bench2.jpg

blue was the original review units, red was the 2013+ units

idk

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Alternatively go for Reactor or BX100, if you can find one cheap

Germany has fucked up prices. All your recommended SSDs are more expensive than the Samsung Evo 850 except the Muskin Reactor which costs only 75% of it (500 GB)

5 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Germany has fucked up prices. All your recommended SSDs are more expensive than the Samsung Evo 850 except the Muskin Reactor which costs only 75% of it (500 GB)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8949/mushkin-reactor-1tb-ssd-review/3

go for the reactor

it's a very good unit for that price

idk