Apple admits that 2013 Mac Pro had problems, Promises a Radical new Modular Mac Pro for next year

11 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

I'm not saying they've always been the way they are, just that how they are now makes really user-serviceable products unlikely.

They really aren't different from the past 10-15 years about this. The iBooks were absolute shit to work on just like the powerbooks, macbooks, macbook pros, macbook airs, and iMacs. 

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

22 hours ago, Dash Lambda said:

Can't wait for the $1,200 top-end proprietary-connection unibody Apple D480, which will totally not be a slightly modified RX480 in an aluminum block.

wtf? They use FirePros. Don't make up shit.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of trouble seeing Apple as anything but a joke at this point. Who really thinks they're going to make the new Mac Pros truly user-serviceable?
And who else couldn't help but either cringe or laugh when they called the 5K iMac "incredibly powerful?"

You may not see Apple seriously but a lot of people do and for good reason instead of blind hatred. The Mac Pro was upgradable in the CPU, RAM and PCIe SSD side except for GPU. And at the time, Apple thought that the new form factor was really cool and a perfect representation of modern tech, they traded off GPU upgradeability and instead offered two GPUs. They probably thought they could update it every two years or so, but little did they realise they build themselves into a thermal corner and the industry was moving towards a single powerful GPU.

Now Apple has admitted this and they explicitly said their next Mac Pro is going to be upgradable. I doubt the form factor will be any bigger, but they'll probably go in the lines of the compact PCs that Linus have showcased on LTT

Can't wait for the $1,200 top-end proprietary-connection unibody Apple D480, which will totally not be a slightly modified RX480 in an aluminum block.

In all seriousness, I have a lot of trouble seeing Apple as anything but a joke at this point. Who really thinks they're going to make the new Mac Pros truly user-serviceable?
And who else couldn't help but either cringe or laugh when they called the 5K iMac "incredibly powerful?"

Every mac pro except the new one has been totally user serviceable. They'll probably go back to that, or at least closer, seeing as this time was such an expensive failure.

The 5k imac had a 4790k in it. It was pretty powerful.

Just now, potoooooooo said:

Every mac pro except the new one has been totally user serviceable. They'll probably go back to that, or at least closer, seeing as this time was such an expensive failure.

It came out after a major Update to FCPX as well, which heavily leveraged Intel Quick-Sync + OpenCL ( instead of just the latter )

It was embarrassing having the iMac beat the Mac Pro in FCPX workloads; even more so because you couldn't upgrade the GPUs to help the system, despite More cores of the Ivy-Bridge Xeons. :/

I really hope they go back to a design more inline with the pre-2013 Pro.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

3 hours ago, Hunter259 said:

They really aren't different from the past 10-15 years about this. The iBooks were absolute shit to work on just like the powerbooks, macbooks, macbook pros, macbook airs, and iMacs. 

My perspective is mostly focused on their mobile devices and AIOs, so I admit it might be limited. Doesn't change the fact that Apple is showing a tendency to make 'black boxes' nowadays, as well as disregarding user feedback, so I honestly don't know what to think. I'm just being pessimistic because good surprises are better than bad surprises.

50 minutes ago, RedRound2 said:

wtf? They use FirePros. Don't make up shit.

... I did not say the current Mac Pro uses an RX480. I was poking fun at the proprietary branding Apple used.
And hypothetical hyperbole is one of the places where you can't not make things up.

And as for the discussion of Apple, my response is the same as to Hunter.

20 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

I'm not very convinced with their responses to user feedback lately, especially with the USB-C debacle.
That, as well as their involvement in the right-to-repair stuff.
I'm fairly certain that it's not going to actually conform to a common standard for a lot of the parts, but I'm not going to seriously guess to what extent that will go.

27 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

And it had an M295X with a 5k display. That severely limited the actual usefulness of its resolution.
If I recall correctly, it was also plagued with thermal throttling under load.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

34 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

I did not say the current Mac Pro uses an RX480. I was poking fun at the proprietary branding Apple used.
And hypothetical hyperbole is one of the places where you can't not make things up.

They don't use proprietary branding for hardware they outsource especially when it comes to their Mac hardware. Yes, I understood that you were poking fun, but at the same time you give an impression that Apple used a very low end card for the Mac Pro which is far from true

1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

They don't use proprietary branding for hardware they outsource especially when it comes to their Mac hardware. Yes, I understood that you were poking fun, but at the same time you give an impression that Apple used a very low end card for the Mac Pro which is far from true

I actually have no idea where the chips used in the Mac Pro slot (W9000 on the top end, right?), but from what I've found they're mid-range (for the time) professional GPUs. Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's bloody impossible to find comparative information for non-gaming cards.

And their D-series branding is proprietary, it's only Apple.

According to most sources I've found, they actually pretty much just used existing Firepro chips and slapped an Apple name on them.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Someone made a concept video about it

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list