Apple admits that 2013 Mac Pro had problems, Promises a Radical new Modular Mac Pro for next year

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I hate to be like this, but we've already lived with "modular" Mac Pros since the late 90s, they're called (Desktop) Personal Computers and are something everyone at Apple should look into.

To be fair, the 2013 Mac Pro is modular. It's just that much of the parts aren't easily replaceable with COTS products.

How does it take a year to throw off the shelf components into a midtower aluminum case and slap OS X on it?

$20 says they're working on a way to make it "modular" but completely locked down so you can only buy the modules from them.  Oh sorry you'll need some proprietary docking connector for that 1080 gpu.  Bend over, bitches.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

Took them long enough... but at least they aknowledged it. I'm interested to see if by "modular" they mean what every other workstation ever built is like or if they have something special in mind.

in the 90/early 2000s when they werent making money they made modular laptops. They were awesome you could swap out the cd drive and hard drives for more drives or batteries. I think they had something like SCSI interfaces. They looked very industrial, this is before they made the cute bubbly looking macs. I imagine the new mac pro will be like old laptops with swappable drives.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

12 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

in the 90/early 2000s when they werent making money they made modular laptops. They were awesome you could swap out the cd drive and hard drives for more drives or batteries. I think they had something like SCSI interfaces. They looked very industrial, this is before they made the cute bubbly looking macs. I imagine the new mac pro will be like old laptops with swappable drives.

Hopefully it's more than just drives, I'd expect gpus to be more relevant in a high end workstation

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

6 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

What I find hilarious is that a "radical" rework is probably putting actual hardware into the thing. Thermal constraints my arse, Vortex did it fine Apple. 

Anandtech had an article on it this morning. While the Mac Pro could handle the 400W (total) dual GPUs, it had twice the surface area to dissipate the heat with. thermal constraints meant that Apple couldn't load in anything over a 200W GPU per side. The design of the GPU was also on a custom Apple PCB, so I guess they just got lazy here and the economics didn't stack up. Hope they just use reference PCBs moving forward, or MXM 1080s. 

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Hopefully it's more than just drives, I'd expect gpus to be more relevant in a high end workstation

that would be nice but i doubt they will be that generous to their customers. Its really vital they allow for drive expansion for professionals, its a real deal breaker. I'm planning to use a mac mini as a build server just because I have to have a mac. I cant see anything on the apple range ATM that would be suitable for development work which is why iv been calling for tim cook to get a kick in his arse

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I honestly wouldn't put too much high expectations on this as we are in the Post Jobs Apple environment.  Probably when they say modular, it will be factory modular for a CPU soldered onto Mobo, with user replacable SSD (maybe M.2), RAM and custom GPU PCB. All of which you will need to buy from or get upgraded at an Apple Certified Retailer in order to retain Apple support.

2 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Dell and IBM could do this too (in the 1999 era).  You could swap out the CD drive for an extra battery, or they would come with 2 battery ports so you could hotswap batteries without shutting down.  I miss those days.

EDIT: Should mention this was only on the Latitude and Precision laptops.  I don't think the "consumer" Inspiron stuff ever supported dual batteries or swapping parts.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

6 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

216.gif

Here comes my profile pic...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

22 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Here comes my profile pic...

Lmao

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

I really hope he correctly used the word 'radical' when it comes to modular. Going back to the old Mac Pros for modularity would not be ideal, it would be them publicly admitting they have done nothing for the Mac Pro lineup for the last decade or so.

I would like something radical; something different; something that has Apple's classic ease-of-use paired with incredible revolution. But personally, I just can't see what that's going to be.

I don't like not knowing things, this is gonna bug me all year.

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

7 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

To be fair, the 2013 Mac Pro is modular. It's just that much of the parts aren't easily replaceable with COTS products.

6 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

How does it take a year to throw off the shelf components into a midtower aluminum case and slap OS X on it?

$20 says they're working on a way to make it "modular" but completely locked down so you can only buy the modules from them.  Oh sorry you'll need some proprietary docking connector for that 1080 gpu.  Bend over, bitches.

4 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I honestly wouldn't put too much high expectations on this as we are in the Post Jobs Apple environment.  Probably when they say modular, it will be factory modular for a CPU soldered onto Mobo, with user replacable SSD (maybe M.2), RAM and custom GPU PCB. All of which you will need to buy from or get upgraded at an Apple Certified Retailer in order to retain Apple support.

1 hour ago, Macimoar said:

I really hope he correctly used the word 'radical' when it comes to modular. Going back to the old Mac Pros for modularity would not be ideal, it would be them publicly admitting they have done nothing for the Mac Pro lineup for the last decade or so.

I would like something radical; something different; something that has Apple's classic ease-of-use paired with incredible revolution. But personally, I just can't see what that's going to be.

I don't like not knowing things, this is gonna bug me all year.

I think what Apple really means about 'modular' is using standard form factor components for the GPU, CPU, RAM etc. Anandtech noted that their custon form factor Radeon cards really hurt them in the 2013 Pro. Likely it just means that we'll be back in the days where 'Apple' GPUs for the Mac Pro are just standard cards with a custom firmware. 

Though the hope is for them to fully leverage a 'modular system' where individual parts are interconnected via TB3. But again looking at the numbers Mac Pro is <1% of the total Mac sales which are in themselves ~10% of Apple's sales, so really not relevant in the grand scheme of things compared to something like the iPhone.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

14 hours ago, ashypanda said:

i find their reasoning a load of bull, as the CPU TDP has been the same since 2013 so heat nor power constraints are the issue, for the GPUs they could have used custom SKUs like they done before, the only minor issue could be the height of DDR4 modules, but they could have stretched the tin can a few centimetres, to fit them in, but a lot of it sounds like they are too lazy to bother updating it.

It was GPU issues. The design couldn't handle an uneven heat load. A dual GPU config didn't work for many. Instead a single powerful GPU would be much better but that introduced uneven heat loads making it not viable for the computer. 

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

12 minutes ago, wcreek said:

So basically back to the pre-2013 design :^ 

Or just a box with half volume of the current Mac Pro with 12 usb-c ports cause at apple "dongle=modularity"

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I wonder if they will use Ryzen for the mac pro this time or the new incoming dual socket LGA Cpus.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

19 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

2) am i stil an apple hater now 

4) now to wait for a proper replacement to my 2012 non retina macbook pro

Still an apple hater. Using a 2012 MacBook Pro. 

:/

/s

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

If Apple made a computer which fit all budgets, I think the internet would collapse from shock. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

I think when apple said "modular" they meant the new Mac pros will have swappable parts in it. (probably GPU). But you have to buy those GPUs in Apple Store and no where else. And it is gonna be expensive. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

And now all the Apple fanboys that wasted all that time damage controlling the 2013 Mac Pro are beside themselves. Not even Apple is gonna defend it. xD

But really, can Apple just go back to the previous Mac Pro design?

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Well to be honest I always thought of the 2013 Mac Pro to be more of a Mac Mini Pro instead if I am honest it was a load of S*#t for professionals.

Apple take a look at the high end of PC Workstations, slap it on a photo copier, add apple logo = Job Done.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Leaked image of the new Mac Pro 

Revolutionary new cooling system. The Mini Fridge. Fully modular design

IMG_1953.JPG

/s

21 hours ago, RedRound2 said:

So you're saying that instead of updating the current Mac Pro which cost say 'x' in R&D, they decided to spend 10-50 times more for a completely reworked version because they were 'lazy'.  That seems counterintuitive

Didn't they literally JUST say it was too hard for them to update it? If there was anything other than laziness or incompetence behind the whole thing they wouldn't have waited 4 years before even hinting at a new model. This is how it probably went down:

"Hey, we spend a whack ton of money to engineer this new mac pro!"

"Great!"

-2 months later-

"pros hate it and we have no way to update it!"

"well, we invested a lot of money into the design so since we don't really care about pros we'll just let it stagnate for 5 years until it's paid for itself and then design something that makes sense"

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Didn't they literally JUST say it was too hard for them to update it? If there was anything other than laziness or incompetence behind the whole thing they wouldn't have waited 4 years before even hinting at a new model. This is how it probably went down:

"Hey, we spend a whack ton of money to engineer this new mac pro!"

"Great!"

-2 months later-

"pros hate it and we have no way to update it!"

"well, we invested a lot of money into the design so since we don't really care about pros we'll just let it stagnate for 5 years until it's paid for itself and then design something that makes sense"

Maybe, but it would've been much easier to drop the Mac Pro entirely as it represents less than 10% of Mac users and I doubt the lack of product would even make a dent in their revenue.

Also, you make it sound like the consumers were being scammed or losing here when it's not the case. They released the Mac Pro, people who wanted it, bought it, others didn't. They didn't update, which didn't affect the current owners in any way, but they themselves removed them as an option for potential buyers when they didn't update the model. And yes, it may have taken two-three years to realise they had a problem because they probably had to wait for the industry to adapt into what they thought would settle TB peripherals and dual GPU config but it took a different route and Apple themselves admitted that they should've realised this earlier