Intel X299 Skylake W

NumLock21

Intel enthusiast platform is going to get another set of processor based on Skylake W, along with Skylake X and KabyLake X. Skylake W will run on socket 2066 and there will be 3 SkUs to choose from. The entry model will have have 4 cores, with a official ram speed of DDR4 2133MHz, and up to 16 gen 3 PCIe lanes. Next up we got a 6 cores and top of the line model is a 10 core. Both of these will have official support for DDR4 2666MHz and other features such as Intel Turbo Boost, Hyper Thread, but no info on how many gen 3 lanes these 2 cpus will have, although previous gen X99 have 40 lanes (except for 5820K and 6800K). It's odd that the 4 core model lacks any of these features, even though it might cost more than any mainstream cpus Intel has. Now if that 4 cores comes at Core i3's price then maybe, it might have its place, in a enthusiast build. All of them have a TDP of 140w and as of now, it's still in the engineering sample stages. No additional info has been revealed about them, probably more info will become available as we get closer to launch.

skylake-w.jpg

https://benchlife.info/intel-skylake-w-have-three-cpu-03272017/

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbenchlife.info%2Fintel-skylake-w-have-three-cpu-03272017%2F&edit-text=

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

A 140W i5? Guess we can't pick on AMD for hellfire TDP anymore.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

That train left the station ages ago, it aint coming back.

But i am really interested in why the hell the stock TDP is that high. I didnt think that there was a point to shoving that much voltage through the i5 k chips to even bother?

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

11 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

It's odd that the 4 core model lacks any of these features, even though it might cost more than any mainstream cpus Intel has. 

Why sell someone something they will pay the same money for without it :P 

first we get is "i5" for X amount than later they enable the HypeT and turbo boost and we have a "i5-K/Extreme" and double your profits :P 

I'll keep a eye on the x299 stuff

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

5 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

But i am really interested in why the hell the stock TDP is that high. I didnt think that there was a point to shoving that much voltage through the i5 k chips to even bother?

Yeah it's really weird, Intel's i5's don't respond that well to more voltage, so unless they have it at like 6GHz, or X299 offers way more benefits than it ever would, I can't see any reason for this to even exist.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Skylake-W.  It stands for Skylake-Why.
I mean I get the Kabylake-X, but why the Skylake-W to go along with the Skylake-X?

The only thing I can guess is that the W stands for workstation and the CPUs will be similar to Xeons but without the Xeon extras and it's basically going to be a cheaper way to get a workstation when you don't have a mission critical need for ECC RAM.

Also, regarding TDP; I believe Intel rates their Enthusiast platform CPUs at an overclocked value and not a stock clocked value.  Although it makes no sense for this W line to be so high if it is actually a locked sku.  It also makes no sense for the Enthusiast platform if it doesn't have quad channel and at least 32 PCIE lanes.
This not making sense stuff leads me to wonder if maybe Intel is phasing out their consumer line entirely and future CPUs will be Enthusiast platform only.

Also - I suspect the - through boost and hyperthreading is just unknown or misinformed.  It doesn't make much sense to jump from 4 threads to 12.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

6 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Yeah it's really weird, Intel's i5's don't respond that well to more voltage, so unless they have it at like 6GHz, or X299 offers way more benefits than it ever would, I can't see any reason for this to even exist.

12 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Wait what? A 140W quad core? WITHOUT hyperthreading? When AMD has 16 threads at 95W?

Jesus Intel... Is there actually any point to this chips?

TDP can be measured in a variety of ways, based on the 4 core having the same as the larger cores I'd say that it is using theoretical maximum which would be the same since it is a cut down chip of the others

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

22 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Is Intel like "Well, this family of processors has a lot of TDP variety, let's just call all of them 140TDP according to the highest TDP model", or do they really all have 140TDP?

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

TDP can be measured in a variety of ways, based on the 4 core having the same as the larger cores I'd say that it is using theoretical maximum which would be the same since it is a cut down chip of the others

But TDP is normally (with Intel at least) used as the amount of heat energy the chip is designed to produce, which is odd given it's only needing to power 4 cores. Plus this suggests that you would need to supply 140W to a quad core, non-HT CPU which is pretty unreasonable for a modern chip. Once again, Ryzen is using a third less power to run a CPU 4x the size (I know that's not quite how that works, but you have to admit it's weird).

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

Is Intel like "Well, this family of processors has a lot of TDP variety, let's just call all of them 140TDP according to the highest TDP model", or do they really all have 140TDP?

It varies in actuality so I feel like they decided to just go with the highest TDP model.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

5 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

(I know that's not quite how that works, but you have to admit it's weird).

Its not really that weird if the clock speeds are higher and the ipc is higher, there is a exponential factor to energy use and consequently thermal output as clocks and instructions increase, there is a reason why you need liquid nitrogen to increase the processor speeds by 25+% afterall

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Its not really that weird if the clock speeds are higher and the ipc is higher, there is a exponential factor to energy use and consequently thermal output as clocks in instructions increase, there is a reason why you need liquid nitrogen to increase the processor speeds by 25+% afterall

If it's really fast, I guess that's okay, but I still can't see a reason to have a crazy fast, super hot quad core with limited PCIe lanes and slower RAM compatibility, when you may as well just go with a mainstream chipset and enjoy HT...

1 minute ago, Rangaman42 said:

If it's really fast, I guess that's okay, but I still can't see a reason to have a crazy fast, super hot quad core with limited PCIe lanes and slower RAM compatibility, when you may as well just go with a mainstream chipset and enjoy HT...

The quad core won't get 140 TPD fyi, as I said the chip is the same as the others so it can accept those levels of power but that is just not going to happen in actuality, intel is using what the processor could have as a TDP based on the larger chip, they don't actually measure it.

32 minutes ago, Rangaman42 said:

Wait what? A 140W quad core? WITHOUT hyperthreading? When AMD has 16 threads at 95W?

Jesus Intel... Is there actually any point to this chips?

yes. space heating

Just now, AresKrieger said:

The quad core won't get 140 TPD fyi, as I said the chip is the same as the others so it can accept those levels of power but that is just not going to happen in actuality, intel is using what the processor could have as a TDP based on the larger chip, they don't actually measure it.

Yeah I think that's the most likely thing. They'll just quote a generic figure across the board. But even regardless of power and heat, I don't think the enthusiast community is screaming out for a quad core that can't take multi-GPU properly or whatever.

Just now, Belgarathian said:

That 140W i5 better be KabyLake IPC at 6GHz or I'm going to pass. 

Even if it was, I still wouldn't want it. What am I meant to do with it? Other than get really high quad core benchmark scores... 

Just now, Rangaman42 said:

Even if it was, I still wouldn't want it. What am I meant to do with it? Other than get really high quad core benchmark scores... 

It would give you great FPS in games, and be useless for most other things.

Just now, Belgarathian said:

It would give you great FPS in games, and be useless for most other things.

Only ones held up by CPU clock speeds, but that kind of bottleneck is going to need like 2x 1080Ti or whatever, but then you'll be held up by the PCIe lane restrictions.

#worsethanprescott

jk :P

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

inb4 Intel is the subject of CPU toaster jokes.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

2 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

Look at the Power 8 chips to find your answer. There are a number of problems which just do not scale out to more than a handful of threads, so you build a scale-up chip to compensate. This, in turn, actually makes horizontal scaling better at the same time.

48 minutes ago, MandelFrac said:

Look at the Power 8 chips to find your answer. There are a number of problems which just do not scale out to more than a handful of threads, so you build a scale-up chip to compensate. This, in turn, actually makes horizontal scaling better at the same time.

If you're exclusively doing something that is being handed of to an accelerator card then a 4 core CPU that is clocked extremely, high hence the TDP, would make sense. Faster you can dispatch jobs the better and that is currently frequency constrained rather than more cores helping.

You would need a ton of accelerator cards that are also very powerful to overload 4 cores.

Might see this CPU being used in the comms/networking space where everything is offloaded from CPU.

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

If you're exclusively doing something that is being handed of to an accelerator card then a 4 core CPU that is clocked extremely, high hence the TDP, would make sense. Faster you can dispatch jobs the better and that is currently frequency constrained rather than more cores helping.

You would need a ton of accelerator cards that are also very powerful to overload 4 cores.

Might see this CPU being used in the comms/networking space where everything is offloaded from CPU.

The Power 8s do a lot of the heavy lifting, believe it or not. Those analytics and DB workloads really don't get offloaded to any accelerators.

But yes, it would make sense for that sort of workload to have 4 high-speed cores.