i7 7700k and Dark Rock 3 - 95C+ @stock

Nubium

Hey guys,

I bought i7 7700K and Dark Rock 3 last week but the temps I get are a bit concerning - I get ~40-42C at idle and ~60-65C in games. What concerns me most is that when I run Prime95 the temperature goes up to 80C for about 10 minutes and then it starts raising to 95C+. I tried to touch the cooler and it was not even warm. I used the thermal paste that was shipped with the Dark Rock 3 - I don't know how good it was, but it shouldn't be that bad, right? I don't know if that matters much in my case but the temperature in my room is between 20-25C.

I haven't used a K processor before, but the temps doesn't seem to be ok. Can you tell me what temps should I be getting with this CPU and this(or similar) cooler?

temps.png

i7 7700k | MSI Z720 SLI PLUS | Asus ENGTX 470 | 2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Samsung Evo 850 120GB & WD Black 640GB | FD Define C | Corsair RM650x

Did you take off the sticker on the bottom of the cooler?

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

1 minute ago, Bob116 said:

the 7th gen i7 has crap-tastic thermal compound between the die and the heatspreader

Very true, it was hitting 100c+ at 5ghz and after they changed it for something better like ic diamond it went to the regular 70-80c

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Try to reseat the cooler and reapply thermal paste, making sure the cooler has contact with the heatspreader on the CPU

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

the 7th gen i7 has crap-tastic thermal compound between the die and the heatspreader

even still, it should perform better than THAT...

2 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Your cooler is probably not making contact with the chip.

@Nubium i think @raphidy is correct. the DR3 should perform a HELL of a lot better than that.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Did you take off the sticker on the bottom of the cooler?

Yes, I have.

3 minutes ago, raphidy said:

Your cooler is probably not making contact with the chip.

I also tried to use stock cooler from 6700, but it was also hitting 95C+

5 minutes ago, Bob116 said:

Any chance of getting better results if I ask for replacement?

i7 7700k | MSI Z720 SLI PLUS | Asus ENGTX 470 | 2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Samsung Evo 850 120GB & WD Black 640GB | FD Define C | Corsair RM650x

6 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

even still, it should perform better than THAT...

@Nubium i think @raphidy is correct. the DR3 should perform a HELL of a lot better than that.

When I stop Prime, it cools down to 40ish for about a seconds. At least I confirmed these temperatures are way above normal :) I'll try to reinstall it and if I get the same results I'll probably try to replace it.

if they don't give a  replacement you can try delidding your 7700k and putting on some luquid pro

10 minutes ago, Nubium said:

Yes, I have.

I also tried to use stock cooler from 6700, but it was also hitting 95C+

Any chance of getting better results if I ask for replacement?

You should ask for a refund/replacement. Try other monitoring programs also just to have multiple values.

if they don't give a  replacement you can try delidding your 7700k and putting on some luquid pro

It's less than 10 days since I bought it, so I can just return it :)

2 minutes ago, raphidy said:

You should ask for a refund/replacement. Try other monitoring programs also just to have multiple values.

I get the same results with HWMonitor, AIDA64 and MSI's Command Center.

Just get a 6700k. they run WAAAAAY cooler.  

64'C @4.5ghz with a hyper 212 plus

To be honest it sounds like something is wrong with your heatspreader or the contact between it and the die. Talk to your retailer and have them send you a new one

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

I just ran another Prime95 stress test and after 20 min, the radiator of DR3 was not even warm :/

FTR: I am not a fan of using P95 for stress testing.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

I've heard 7700K is hot CPU, even with Intels line-up. But bigger issue might be voltages. Idle and gaming temps are normal, within normal range (since we don't know your room temp and idle rarely is true idle). P95 is also ancient stress test. Aida64, RealBench and OCCT would be ones to trust more. But above all, set manual voltage, maybe 1.2V and test again.

I'm not sure/don't know what are normal voltages for that CPU, or which voltage reading I should check on HWmonitor readings. But CPU VCORE at 1.336V and VID at 1.342V are something I would say are way too high for stock clocks.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Try reseating your cooler. 

The temps don't seem that far off considering your core voltage.

P95 is unrealistically heavy and will usually result in drastically higher temps than normal. I usually use OCCT instead.

2 hours ago, Bob116 said:

The gap caused by the adhesive around the die is what causes the relatively high temps compared to soldered chips.

The thermal compound is actually very good.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

36 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

I've heard 7700K is hot CPU, even with Intels line-up. But bigger issue might be voltages. Idle and gaming temps are normal, within normal range (since we don't know your room temp and idle rarely is true idle). P95 is also ancient stress test. Aida64, RealBench and OCCT would be ones to trust more. But above all, set manual voltage, maybe 1.2V and test again.

I'm not sure/don't know what are normal voltages for that CPU, or which voltage reading I should check on HWmonitor readings. But CPU VCORE at 1.336V and VID at 1.342V are something I would say are way too high for stock clocks.

I don't know why it's so high, it was set to auto. I set it to 1.2V and tried OCCT, but it failed after ~30sec due to "Error detected on Core #2".

I'll do the cooler reseating, but I'm currently out of thermal paste and it's late evening in my country so I'll be doing this tomorrow. I'll get back to you with the results. Thank you all for helping :)

Just now, Nubium said:

I don't know why it's so high, it was set to auto. I set it to 1.2V and tried OCCT, but it failed after ~30sec due to "Error detected on Core #2".

I'll do the cooler reseating, but I'm currently out of thermal paste and it's late evening in my country so I'll be doing this tomorrow. I'll get back to you with the results. Thank you all for helping :)

Its high because stress tests demand more voltages than normal use. When you leave it at auto, voltages raise uncontrolled.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 minutes ago, Nubium said:

What are your temps with OCCT when voltage is left at Auto? 1.2v is probably too low for stock clocks.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

@Nubium Can you upload a few pictures of how the CPU cooler is mounted in the computer, and picture with the heatsink removed?

Also, HOW MUCH thermal paste did you use?

Did you clean off the old thermal paste left by the stock cooler before mounting the BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

23 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What are your temps with OCCT when voltage is left at Auto? 1.2v is probably too low for stock clocks.

I was guessing with 1.2V since it overheats with 1.34V.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

23 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It stops after 45s because "Core #0 over maximum value !".

17 hours ago, -rascal- said:

@Nubium Can you upload a few pictures of how the CPU cooler is mounted in the computer, and picture with the heatsink removed?

Also, HOW MUCH thermal paste did you use?

Did you clean off the old thermal paste left by the stock cooler before mounting the BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3?

I used about 80% of the syringe that was shipped with Dark Rock 3. I'll post pictures of both CPU and Cooler surfaces when I remove the cooler tomorrow. I have to wait until tomorrow to get a restock of the thermal paste in a local store, because they had only some crappy left. Btw, I'll be using Arctic Silver 5, I've read in the forums that it's a decent one, I guess it will do the job.

On 4/3/2017 at 11:51 AM, Nubium said:

Hey guys,

I bought i7 7700K and Dark Rock 3 last week but the temps I get are a bit concerning - I get ~40-42C at idle and ~60-65C in games. What concerns me most is that when I run Prime95 the temperature goes up to 80C for about 10 minutes and then it starts raising to 95C+. I tried to touch the cooler and it was not even warm. I used the thermal paste that was shipped with the Dark Rock 3 - I don't know how good it was, but it shouldn't be that bad, right? I don't know if that matters much in my case but the temperature in my room is between 20-25C.

I haven't used a K processor before, but the temps doesn't seem to be ok. Can you tell me what temps should I be getting with this CPU and this(or similar) cooler?

It's pretty normal for the 7700k to exceed 90c. I hit 89c on that chip with a X3fan Radiator setup. The tim they used on the 7700k is crap which is why many (including me) have decided to delid and replace the tim.

CPU: Ryzen 5950X Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 | Graphics: GIGABYTE GAMING OC RTX 3090 |  Mobo: GIGABYTE B550 AORUS MASTER | Storage: SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 2TB PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 - 1500W | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU & LG C1