Extending the C: drive?

Go to solution Solved by DnFx91,

thats pretty funny, but seriously, you can boot partedmagic or any live linux distro that has gparted, use it to move the hilarious F partition to the right, and then expand C into the gap.

assuming you want that backup partition

The title really captures the question well. I want to expand my C: driveCapture.thumb.PNG.1f1d8e02741e988e416eb2bcdc63560a.PNG

But Windows is a ass, what can I do?

3rd party app? 

What have you done so far? 

oh god, oh jesus

your partition layout

what have you done ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Gparted and Rufus. Use that if you have space

you've backed up your drive............ onto the same physical drive :D

fantastic

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

3rd party app? 

What have you done so far? 

I only tried this Windows tool, so I haven't done much. 

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

fantastic

It was worth it, I needed a 64-Bit version of Window. :/

3 minutes ago, Jskn said:

Gparted and Rufus. Use that if you have space

Sure, my C partition is huge. I luckily already have Rufus. Thank, I'm going to try it after the download.

thats pretty funny, but seriously, you can boot partedmagic or any live linux distro that has gparted, use it to move the hilarious F partition to the right, and then expand C into the gap.

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 hour ago, DnFx91 said:

you can do it from inside that window he has open. Why boot another tool? delete the backup partition and then extent it to fill the drive.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, vorticalbox said:

you can do it from inside that window he has open. Why boot another tool? delete the backup partition and then extent it to fill the drive.

One problem, I would like to keep the backup partition.

as i said i assumed he wanted to keep that F partition. in which case i dont think windows lets you expand a partition if it doesnt have empty space directly following the partition you want to extent, in which case you would need to use gparted to "move" F to the end of the drive, so you could then extend C into the resulting middle space

Home PC:

Work PC:

6 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

fantastic

I have a new signature quote.

3 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

Thank you for the explanation. Now that I think about it, this was the most hilarious thing I have ever donexD...

Just now, fpo said:

i would be honored 

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, fpo said:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

i would be honored 

You get a extra one. My mistake must be shared with the world:P.

Just now, Factory OC said:

Thank you for the explanation. Now that I think about it, this was the most hilarious thing I have ever donexD...

yeah ive done some stupid shit before man, but this is pretty good, it's up there :D

try gparted and keep us posted. if you expand C from gparted, windows might spazz out a bit and want to run a checkdisk, but do what u want and see how it goes

Home PC:

Work PC:

2 minutes ago, DnFx91 said:

yeah ive done some stupid shit before man, but this is pretty good, it's up there :D

try gparted and keep us posted. if you expand C from gparted, windows might spazz out a bit and want to run a checkdisk, but do what u want and see how it goes

Sure, I wont freak out. I'm downloading it right now.

Just now, Factory OC said:

Sure, I wont freak out. 

make sure you backup that F partition (to an external drive this time lol) 

Gparted Giveth and Gparted Taketh Away

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

make sure you backup that F partition (to an external drive this time lol) 

Sure, I willxD.

OH, OH NO! Now I am triggered 

1 minute ago, DnFx91 said:

HOLY CRAP THE CRINGExD... Jk

3 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Sure, I willxD.

OH, OH NO! Now I am triggered 

HOLY CRAP THE CRINGExD... Jk

it seemed fitting, I have a special level of Concentration that's reserved for when im using Gparted, as it's an every day occurence that i use it.

Destroying an installation is only ever one click away.

Home PC:

Work PC:

1 hour ago, DnFx91 said:

You say that but for places like PC world here in the UK this is pretty much standard way of doing it. You windows recovery aka windows installer is stored on a partition on your c drive.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Just now, DnFx91 said:

it seemed fitting, I have a special level of Concentration that's reserved for when im using Gparted, as it's an every day occurence that i use it.

Destroying an installation is only ever one click away.

I would think, it looks like a powerful tool...

You say that but for places like PC world here in the UK this is pretty much standard way of doing it. You windows recovery aka windows installer is stored on a partition on your c drive.

Yeah, I have the install files, but I'm not up for booting that up...

1 minute ago, vorticalbox said:

makes sense for OEM builds, but they are useless, speaking of recovery partitions, i once bought a brand new dell inspiron, years ago, and out of the box it had a drive letter assigned to my recovery partition, why ?? anyway i digress.

Home PC:

Work PC:

Just now, DnFx91 said:

makes sense for OEM builds, but they are useless, speaking of recovery partitions, i once bought a brand new dell inspiron, years ago, and out of the box it had a drive letter assigned to my recovery partition, why ?? anyway i digress.

OEM's are weird. I didn't even get a recovery partition from the factory on my Acer laptop...