Intel KabyLake G

NumLock21

Speculation has been going about the web, that Intel is making a new processor called KabyLake G. The new cpu will be different, where it has a cpu, discrete gpu, communications, and other chips, all in bundled into a single package. Each of the individual chips will be communicating with each other through Intel's Embedded Multi-die Interconnect Bridge or EMIB for short. The new "bridge" design is a improvement to what Intel was trying to achieve with the same cpu idea, back during the 32nm process days with Clarkdale, Intel says this new bridge is

"more elegant interconnect for a more civilized age."

For now it's said that KabyLake G will be a BGA package with a TDP of 65w to 100w, which is well above the mobile KabyLake-H with a TDP of just 45w. This could possibility mean that Intel might have discrete AMD graphics and with use of HBM2, even though no concrete information has been found on this. Package size for KabyLake G measures in at 58.5 x 31 mm , which is larger, than current LGA socket desktop KabyLake S that measures in at 37.5 x 37.5mm.

The heterogeneous, modular approach to CPU development here would really benefit Intel thusly: it would allow it to integrate such external graphics solutions that could be produced in other factories entirely and then fitted onto the package; would allow Intel to save die space on their 10 nm dies for actual cores, increasing yields from their 10 nm process; and would allow Intel to recycle old processes with new logic inside the CPU package, permitting the company to better distribute production load across different processes, better utilizing (and extracting value from) their not-so-state-of-the-art processes.

If Intel advances with this modular approach, we stand to see some really interesting designs, with multiple manufacturing processes working in tandem inside a single package, giving Intel more flexibility in developing and implementing its fabrication processes.

482663cf36c6.jpg

e0bbb9a96ace.jpg

74972553aab5.jpg

db0dc4e52a6c.jpg

23ab87ead0ef.jpg

677a205fe3d4.jpg

https://www.techpowerup.com/232067/rumored-intel-kaby-lake-g-series-modular-multi-die-hbm-2-amd-graphics-ip

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So is this something like an APU? 

Alright I'm now 99% sure those rumors about Intel dropping Nvidia for AMD and then designing an MCM from their IP are correct.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Just now, Citadelen said:

Alright I'm now 99% sure those rumors about Intel dropping Nvidia for AMD and then designing an MCM from their IP are correct.

Intel dropped Nvidia a long time ago since the dawn of Core processing. Well for their chipsets, like socket 775 you still see nvidia chipset boards. After that, it's only Intel chipsets. SLI is still supported on Intel chipsets, I'm guessing through some licensing term or something?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

Intel dropped Nvidia a long time ago since the dawn of Core processing. Well for their chipsets, like socket 775 you still see nvidia chipset boards. After that, it's only Intel chipsets. SLI is still supported on Intel chipsets, I'm guessing through some licensing term or something?

Intel licenses certain graphics IP from Nvidia for their iGPUs. For the past half year there have been recurring rumors about Intel dropping Nvidia and using AMDs IP, some say they're designing an MCM combining an Intel CPU and an AMD GPU.

1 minute ago, NumLock21 said:

they recently dropped their license for some GPU patients.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

interesting but i won't buy a new laptop anytime soon.

Just upgraded my laptop with a used i7 2670qm.  New laptops in my price category won't provide a significant performance boost.

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

interesting but i won't buy a new laptop anytime soon.

Just upgraded my laptop with a used i7 2670qm.  New laptops in my price category won't provide a significant performance boost.

And how is that relevant?

Sweet, I wonder when this will arrive? Before or after AMD's Raven Ridge?

isn't this literally a SoC like we see with phone processors?

Intel has partnered with Nvidia in the past, so its possible an Nvidia GPU could be used if a new agreement is reached.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

14 hours ago, Citadelen said:

They could just be dropping Nvidia and going it alone. Intel giving AMD money apart from lawsuit settlements seems pretty unlikely.

13 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Intel licenses certain graphics IP from Nvidia for their iGPUs. For the past half year there have been recurring rumors about Intel dropping Nvidia and using AMDs IP, some say they're designing an MCM combining an Intel CPU and an AMD GPU.

There's been exactly 1 rumor from 1 editor of 1 blog that's been echo'ed up and down the interwebz, but no one has a single source for it.

13 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

Just upgraded my laptop with a used i7 2670qm.

I see mobile performance this way. A faster processor at the same power consumption or a just as fast processor but less power usage. It's not all about how fast it goes but how efficient it is at doing it.

Main System - 2016 13"nTB MBP 256GB

Gaming Rig - 4790K, 16GB RAM, 1080Ti
Monitor - Dell 25" U2515H

K/B & M - Ducky One TKL, Logitech MX Master & G900

Audio - JDS Labs The Element, Aktimate Mini B+, Krix Seismix 3 Mk6, Ultrasone Pro 900

6 hours ago, MandelFrac said:

They could just be dropping Nvidia and going it alone. Intel giving AMD money apart from lawsuit settlements seems pretty unlikely.

No, that simply isn't practical, try designing a viable alternative to the unified shader model for example, it isn't worth the R&D. Intel and AMD don't hate each other as much as you'd expect, they even collaborated this Christmas with Intel CPU and AMD GPU bundles, not to mention Intel adopted AMD's FreeSync.

6 hours ago, MandelFrac said:

There's been exactly 1 rumor from 1 editor of 1 blog that's been echo'ed up and down the interwebz, but no one has a single source for it.

CanardPC also says they have sources on it now, in fact they did an entire section in their magazine about Intel a while ago using their insider sources, saying how much of an incompetent CEO Kaznaich is among other things, not to mention we now actually have rumors of Kaby Lake G which is an MCM.

That's really interesting. Might make overclocking a nightmare, but if yields improve and they can send the saved costs onto the consumer (instead of just being greedy INTEL), then cool.

Now the rumours state that AMD's Navi GPU's will also be stitched together with several parts. Intel doing something similar should prove that it is possible and practical.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

8 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

No, that simply isn't practical, try designing a viable alternative to the unified shader model for example, it isn't worth the R&D. Intel and AMD don't hate each other as much as you'd expect, they even collaborated this Christmas with Intel CPU and AMD GPU bundles, not to mention Intel adopted AMD's FreeSync.

CanardPC also says they have sources on it now, in fact they did an entire section in their magazine about Intel a while ago using their insider sources, saying how much of an incompetent CEO Kaznaich is among other things, not to mention we now actually have rumors of Kaby Lake G which is an MCM.

As if to say Intel hasn't been researching how to do that since Nehalem... Come on, do you think the 21 billion not spent on foundry equipment just vanishes into CPU architecture?

Actually that was purely AMD. They bought 1000s of Intel CPUs at a discount and then sold their GPUs in tandem to make the small discount still turn good profit.

Canard has provided no such sources, and it wouldn't be the first time Canard made up crap to get clicks. By raw numbers, Kirzanich is more successful even than Otellini. Kaby Lake G is also not an MCM. It's all on one interposer, similar to the Fury X, just more heterogeneous. I forget the acronym, but it's not an MCM. It's a much more compact, power-efficient packaging.

20 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I used to have an Nvidia board, it's dead now but I remember it had some feature that other boards didn't have at the time. 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

7 minutes ago, MandelFrac said:

As if to say Intel hasn't been researching how to do that since Nehalem... Come on, do you think the 21 billion not spent on foundry equipment just vanishes into CPU architecture?

Actually that was purely AMD. They bought 1000s of Intel CPUs at a discount and then sold their GPUs in tandem to make the small discount still turn good profit.

Canard has provided no such sources, and it wouldn't be the first time Canard made up crap to get clicks. By raw numbers, Kirzanich is more successful even than Otellini. Kaby Lake G is also not an MCM. It's all on one interposer, similar to the Fury X, just more heterogeneous. I forget the acronym, but it's not an MCM. It's a much more compact, power-efficient packaging.

Oh come on, you can't deduce that Kazanich is successfully purely from the fact that their company is doing well, that tends to happen when you have no competition. He's incompetence comes in the form of wasted money and fickle focus. Remember contra-revenue? Not only was I paraphrasing on the MCM, but people tend to only have loose changeable information that early on. On the topic of Intel designing their own GPU, one does not lay off thousands of GPU department if they are designing something as radicle as an alternative to the unified shader model. Your trust in Intel is quite something, has it ever occurred to you that Intel is wasting billions each year? There is a reason why they layed of 11% of their work force and are aggressively slashing R&D now.

• 2 weeks later...

Leak pic!

KabyLakeg.jpg.d985f278ce3a48e9ae343bc609657dad.jpg

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

6 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Leak pic!

KabyLakeg.jpg.d985f278ce3a48e9ae343bc609657dad.jpg

omg and they blocked it. looks like a rectangle shaped cpu 

So these are meant for mobile? Given the size I'd wager they're going to be for Ultrabooks.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

3 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Leak pic!

snip

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

omg and they blocked it. looks like a rectangle shaped cpu 

Looks to me like a dual-core Iris Pro chip honestly.