Apple to build in-house GPU. Dropping Imagination Technologies PowerVR

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39476898

Well this is awkward.

You'll know Imagination Technologies PLC as the company behind the designs for the powerhouse GPUs that every Apple iDevice has included since the iPhone. Based on their IP Apple customised the GPUs to achieve the class leading performance in recent years.

PowerVR_DwarfHall_demo.gif

Imagination released a press release today stating that Apple has told them of their intent to switch to an in-house GPU architecture in the next 15 months to 2 years. 

Apple has told Imagination that it is "working on a separate, independent graphics design in order to control its products and will be reducing its future reliance on Imagination's technology".

Apple already only licenses the technology from Imagination Technologies plc. Specifically they license the GPU core IP with all implementation and testing being done in house. This move means that they will no longer pay royalties to Imagination as they are designing their own architecture.

Last year, Apple paid about £60.7m in royalties to Imagination and it is forecast to pay about £65m for the current financial year.

Apple represents more than half the revenue source for the company, in light of the announcement shares have dropped more than 60%

Shares fell 180p to 88p, valuing the company at less than £250m. It was worth about £765m before the plunge.

Imagination has hit back at Apple saying that they are dubious they can design a GPU without needing Imagination patents.

"Further, Imagination believes that it would be extremely challenging to design a brand new GPU architecture from basics without infringing its intellectual property rights, accordingly Imagination does not accept Apple's assertions."

However Apple certainly has the engineering talent as Apple Insider reports

According to AppleInsider, at least 25 engineers and managers have quit Imagination and gone on to work at Apple over the past two years.

DISCLAIMER: I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH EITHER IMAGINATION TECHNOLOGIES OR APPLE SINCE LEAVING THE FORMER LAST YEAR

Anecdotally this was a big source of contention within the company when I was there. The hire/fire cycle is extremely high for a UK company due to relatively lower salaries and cost cutting measures. I feel sorry for all the peeps I know who took equity.

Edit: As always Anandtech has a great technical piece.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11243/apple-developing-custom-gpu-dropping-imagination/2

They mention that the patents may be more of just an architectural problem:

• PowerVR Texture Compress (PVRTC) - Used extensively
  • Patents associated with maintaining backwards comparability - Build into the core of iOS

They also speculate that we could see an Apple GPU as early as the upcoming iPhone 8. Also this 15-24month timeframe means Apple will likely have to release low and high end parts containing new GPUs.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

Let them rot. After the Poulsbo incident I stay away from PowerVR mobile GPUs

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Let them rot. After the Poulsbo incident I stay away from PowerVR mobile GPUs

Yeah the Windows graphics implementations were always a mistake.

16 minutes ago, randomhkkid said:

Yeah the Windows graphics implementations were always a mistake.

Not only that, but the lack of 64bit Windows drivers and no Linux drivers whatsoever killed that platform

idk

If apple did came up with their own GPU solution, it might explained why Macs are not getting an upgrade for so long. 

But I do not know whether they are talking about gpus that are in mobile devices or desktop/laptop GPU. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

If apple did came up with their own GPU solution, it might explained why Macs are not getting an upgrade for so long. 

But I do not know whether they are talking about gpus that are in mobile devices or desktop/laptop GPU. 

It's mobile GPUs, though I predict the two will begin to converge more architecturally in the next couple years.

I'm sure apple can do without Imadination's IP rights. What apple cannot do however, is make GPU's without ip rights from AMD/NVidia/Qualcomm.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Fix for night theme users

Untitled.png

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Fix for night theme users

Untitled.png

A please would do nicely :P

Did that work? No idea how to enable night theme to check.

Just now, randomhkkid said:

A please would do nicely :P

Did that work? No idea how to enable night theme to check.

At the very bottom of this page, it says THEME. You can pick between day and night theme there.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Imagination Technologies Share price has dropped 70% because of Apple dropping them.

Damn rough if you were invested in them and didn't pay attention to rumors.

http://www.cbronline.com/news/mobility/devices/shares-imagination-technologies-crash-70-uk-chip-firm-loses-biggest-customer-apple/

UK chip designer Imagination Technologies has seen its shares plunge 70% after news that its biggest customer – Apple – will no longer use the company’s tech for upcoming products.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

*spill in aisle 3*

Thread cleaned, please keep it on-topic and stay within the Community Standards when interacting with others.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

That's a surprise considering how well Imagine has worked out for Apple so far. I am also surprised that not more manufacturers such as MediaTek has picked them up for their high end SKUs. Their GPUs are really good.

Maybe this will cause them do drop prices, and then start appearing in more SoCs.

12 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Imagination Technologies Share price has dropped 70% because of Apple dropping them.

Damn rough if you were invested in them and didn't pay attention to rumors.

http://www.cbronline.com/news/mobility/devices/shares-imagination-technologies-crash-70-uk-chip-firm-loses-biggest-customer-apple/

Yeah it was bound to happen eventually but that timeframe is crazy short considering the lifecycle of GPU IP.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That's a surprise considering how well Imagine has worked out for Apple so far. I am also surprised that not more manufacturers such as MediaTek has picked them up for their high end SKUs. Their GPUs are really good.

Maybe this will cause them do drop prices, and then start appearing in more SoCs.

Mediatek actually do utilise the IP IIRC, Imagination cores tend to be a little expensive for more budget focussed SoC makers.

I'm curious to see how they'll be able to design a gpu from scratch, without using anyone else's patents, while still maintaining retrocompatibility (I guess you could compile stuff twice if the libraries are all ported...? But then who's going to force devs to do that with old apps?) and without the bugs that take decades of experience and development on an architecture to iron out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Normally I'd say it's foolish for any company to invest so much to do something in-house where specialized companies are so far ahead but if anyone has the cash it certainly is Apple.

Though it also means you're shit out of luck as an Apple gamer.

-------

Current Rig

-------

11 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Normally I'd say it's foolish for any company to invest so much to do something in-house where specialized companies are so far ahead but if anyone has the cash it certainly is Apple.

Though it also means you're shit out of luck as an Apple gamer.

Are you sure? Stuff apple designs in house tends to actually seem to be powerful (processors in all the iphones). I think they might have a chance to make something good here.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

Damn... This is so soon after Imagination announced their next generation GPU architecture, Furion, too...

Then again, we know how good Apple can be at designing this stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if soon enough we'll see an Apple GPU that is like a repeat of Cyclone.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

41 minutes ago, sazrocks said:

Are you sure? Stuff apple designs in house tends to actually seem to be powerful (processors in all the iphones). I think they might have a chance to make something good here.

Yes I am sure: there's more to in house designing for Apple to master: AMD Radeon cards are almost always more powerful than Nvidia counterparts in terms of hardware yet the Nvidia cards are usually equal with less compute units and speed or even faster in real world applications (games) It's all because optimization and working closely with everybody in the chain: The OS, API designers, Game Engine designers and Game Asset designers.

So Apple would have to basically invest not only in the hardware but also in an entire ecosystem so their games would work well with their in house GPU. That is definitively not gonna happen anytime soon.

Rather Apple will focus on just like a handful of apps oriented towards workstation and design work to work really well with it and that's about it really. There is currently almost no market for games on Apple desktops. The mobile games are very simple games that require no optimization to run ok so it wouldn't take that much to get the mobile games working just fine on it. Desktop games however, that's another thing and I don't see any indication they'll go balls deep into gaming and if they where, it wouldn't be for desktop games they'd make a console or portable console that's more dedicated than iphones instead.

-------

Current Rig

-------

only £60odd million in royalties, holy fudge knuckles apple was screwing the crap out of them.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

27 minutes ago, ashypanda said:

only £60odd million in royalties, holy fudge knuckles apple was screwing the crap out of them.

I agree. I scratched my head at that. I would have thought Imagination made at least a billion from this deal given how many units Apple are moving and how much revenue they have. For them to only making some 60 million a year is laughable.

If Apple manages to design a GPU which has the same dank performance as the CPUs, I feel like this might be a good thing. But I have my doubts.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)