setting up home VPN with Raspberry Pi

Techicolors
Just now, KuJoe said:

I would recommend L2TP w/IPSEC over OpenVPN. The encryption is the same, the performance is better, it's easier to install than OpenVPN, and it is supported by ever OS I can think of out of the box (including all mobile OS options). OpenVPN requires software to install and can be tricky to install..

Another option which is incredibly easy to install is Pritunl. Has an awesome interface and manages all the backend for you automatically.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

OK then L2TP

Havent tried OpenVPN on my Linux sys, trying to think of what I was trying to do on it a month ago.

Ah oh well. Oh it was NAS.

Just now, jakkuh_t said:

Yeah, I ended up canceling for a refund because they didn't perform as good as I wanted for the cost.

Fair enough. :) I just noticed I only have 2 services left with them (NYC and NTL).

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Fair enough. :) I just noticed I only have 2 services left with them (NYC and NTL).

Not sure what it is with SSDNode but they perform really well, at least for me. They probably just don't oversell the servers (crazy concept I know). 

EDIT: And you can email the owner directly for support which is awesome. (BuyVM you can get the same if you submit a ticket)

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Just now, jakkuh_t said:

Not sure what it is with SSDNode but they perform really well, at least for me. They probably just don't oversell the servers (crazy concept I know). 

Looks like I need to pick up some more VPSs to add to my collection. :D

-KuJoe

i'm still pretty confused about this. like i said this is a home VPN server with only a couple of concurrently connected devices 

is there a significant advantage to using a VPS rather than the Raspberry Pi way i described? 

17 minutes ago, yathis said:

Alright so I figure I need OpenVPN on a dedicated pc using Linux in my house, then I buy SSDNode or BuyVM KVM on a monthly/yearly service and this will kick ass from VPN Unlimited or the like.

I want to use it for Netflix and P2P, so unlimited data on BuyVM with its lower RAM and lower CPU core.

Plus the usual surfing the web, and privacy.

this sounds like the sort of setup i would undergo with the VPS route. but perhaps replacing the dedicated pc with a raspberry pi? 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

-

Yes exactly the same I'd ASSume

1 minute ago, yathis said:

Yes exactly the same I'd ASSume

so will it work lol 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

so will it work lol 

I am out in the woods just as far as you.

We can hear the frogs belch from where we stand. Though I see a path, and a search engine/forums.

How does this Raspberry Pi VPN thing even work?  The VPN Server will not let you pirate content without the government knowing.  You need to have it somewhere else with a different IP (but no a friend's house, they will just get in trouble instead).  For pirating, just use a paid service like ExpressVPN (it's really fast).  There is really no point of doing this, no offense, if the VPN is in your own house.

Cool project though.  Also, unless you are REALLY advanced (which you aren't since you are asking this on the forums, no offense though dude) you wouldn't be able to access it from other countries.  I know quite a bit about VPNs myself.  I live in China so I need to use a VPN to bypass the CRAZY internet censorship to watch YouTube, and obviously, pirate stuff (who doesn't).

11 hours ago, Technicolors said:

so will it work lol 

depends what you mean by work.....

5 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

How does this Raspberry Pi VPN thing even work?  The VPN Server will not let you pirate content without the government knowing.  You need to have it somewhere else with a different IP (but no a friend's house, they will just get in trouble instead).  For pirating, just use a paid service like ExpressVPN (it's really fast).  There is really no point of doing this, no offense, if the VPN is in your own house.

i just thought this would be a nicer way to arrange my own VPN server, to save a bit of money. yes there is the upfront costs but the Pi setup will be pretty long-term 

5 hours ago, ArduinoBen said:

depends what you mean by work.....

well OpenVPN will handle most of the work on the Pi, while a remote SSH will do the managing 

But what I mean is why are you doing this?

It won't give you MUCH more privacy, and wont let you pirate content freely because your address and IP will still be easy to get tracked.

Sorry, but, I don't really see the point right now......

This IS how VPNs work.  However, this option wont do what the paid options do because it will be hosted in your won home and is less advanced, meaning it wont really hide you IP, at least not nearly as well.