Glorious PCMR - Crystal 570X Build Log

NavyChief

JfYf4pG.png

The past few years I have completed one full tower (Corsair 800D) and three super tower (two Corsair 900D and one CaseLabs STH-10) builds. These builds have won their fair share of case modding contests at Dreamhack Austin, QuakeCon and most recently the Gigabyte Mod2Win event. 

Although these full size cases are excellent for building extreme rigs, they are difficult to move to the various LANs that I attend (Dreamhack Austin and QuakeCon). Their sheer size and weight are prohibitive for transporting easily. My latest build in a Corsair 900D case weighed in at just over 80 pounds!

Many people have also commented that case modding is too expensive and requires too many specialized tools to fabricate the mods. Although some of the more extreme builds do utilize advanced tools (i.e. laser cutters, CNC machines, etc), it is possible to pull off a successful case mod with minimal tools. This build will be completed with normal hand tools, with the exception of a dremel for minor cutting.

After carefully contemplating various designs, I have settled on the PC Master Race (PCMR) theme. The yellow, white and black theme goes perfectly with the Corsair color scheme of yellow and black. I have also decided to use a mid-tower case since it would be easier and lighter to transport. Instead of a full watercooled build consisting of reservoirs, pumps, radiators, fittings and tubing, I wanted to try an All-In-One (AIO) unit due to the simplicity in installation and lower overall cost.

Corsair was gracious enough to sponsor me again for this new build and I look forward to highlighting their new Crystal 570X case and showcase a lot of their parts.

Now let's get started with the components...

Main Components:
CSE: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB ATX Mid-Tower
MBD: ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero Z270
CPU: Intel i7-7700K Kaby Lake
AIO: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance
MEM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000MHz (4x8GB)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2
PSU: Corsair HX850i Platinum Modular
SSD: 2 x 480GB Corsair Force MP500 M.2
SSD: 2 x 480GB Corsair Neutron XT SATA 3
HDD: 2TB Western Digital Black
FAN: 6 x Corsair HD120 RGB LED High Performance 120mm PWM
RGB: Corsair Lighting Node PRO

Peripherals:
MON: ASUS ROG PG279Q 27" 165Hz IPS
KBD: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Mechanical - Cherry MX Speed
MSE: Corsair M65 PRO RGB FPS
MPD: Corsair MM800 RGB POLARIS

I will keep this build log updated as the assembly commences and it starts to take shape.

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Apeiro - Fan Favorite Gigabyte Mod2Win 2016
BAWLS - 1st Place Dreamhack Austin 2016, 2nd Place QuakeCon 2016
Toxic Envi - 1st Place QuakeCon 2014
QuakeCon 800D - 1st Place QuakeCon 2012
Black and Blue 800D

Followed, I'd love to hear comment on the K95 Plat eventually:P

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Definitely! Currently use the Razer Blackwidow Chroma and really looking forward to the Corsair K95!!

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

Just now, NavyChief said:

Definitely! Currently use the Razer Blackwidow Chroma and really looking forward to the Corsair K95!!

Awesome, its such a gorgeous key board and TBF its the only one I'm really considering for upgrade (I have a  K70 RGB lol)

NAVY!!!!!!

I didn't know you were on the LTT forums.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

NAVY!!!!!!

I didn't know you were on the LTT forums.

Do you two like... know eachother?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Do you two like... know eachother?

Yeah, we are both members of the gaming community The Art of Warfare.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

DeadEye, nice to hear from you again!

I am semi-active on many different forums and have been busy with modding over the past 6 years or so. Been doing well so far and enjoy building custom PC mods.

Still active in TAW (The Art of Warfare) also. Member of the BF1 unit and having fun.

This build will be a more relaxing one in that I am not going full-tilt with watercooling and such. Want to build a more mobile PC, yet still have some customization that most anyone can accomplish.

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

The 460x and 570x look super nice IMO. Now if only I could get my hands on one *rubs hands together with an evil maniacal laugh*...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

I have received most of the components over the last few days.

Here is a shot of them all ready for action.

ZRX5g2b.jpg

Here is the Corsair 570X carton. I am used to cases standing upright in the box and this is the first where it is laying sideways.

95RTR0u.jpg

Love the protective wrapping they used to cover the case in the packaging. Will definitely be keeping it for use whenever I have to transport the case.

Ae4ERt1.jpg

The case is absolutely stunning! All that tempered glass is just screaming for some color to be applied to the interior. The protective glass film is still in place.

yeuS36j.jpg

Everything that could easily be removed has been taken out. Was thinking of cutting a pass-through opening in the PSU cover but decided against it so that the case could remain stock.

G8jOVE5.jpg

Wow! This case has a lot of rivets to remove!! Here is pile when all the panels were de-riveted.

jdA0B4A.jpg

Panels all ready for painting.

2ceGNOp.jpg

I will be using Rust-oleum 2X Ultra Cover Flat White Primer as a base so that the yellow color stands out easily. The yellow paint is Rust-oleum 2X Ultra Cover Gloss Sun Yellow. I wanted to use the same brand to ensure compatibility with the paints and the gloss yellow should stand out nicely.

fuEJAdl.jpg

This afternoon I was able to get the 2 coats of flat white primer applied. They are now hanging in my garage. Tomorrow they will get their yellow coatings.

PX23PWD.jpg

MnkixTC.jpg

There are the little corner pieces that hold the glass panels in place.

qc14lxp.jpg

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

Looks awesome, love this setup

This morning I applied the 2 coats of Gloss Sun Yellow to the pieces. One full day to dry and I should be able to start re-assembling the case tomorrow.

yRFJKbx.jpg

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

The motherboard for this build is the ASUS Maximus IX HERO. It utilizes the LGA 1151 CPU socket and the Intel Z270 chipset.

thn1HjY.jpg

The motherboard is a beautiful blend of black and gunmetal gray. The large metal heatsinks provide cover for all the important parts and the motherboard backplate area.

GqWFcHd.jpg

The CPU to be used is the Intel i7 7th Generation Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake unlocked version.

227uf4c.jpg

This processor uses the LGA 1151 socket and an operating frequency of 4.2 GHz.

4QkeG4N.jpg

As for memory, I am using the Corsair Vengeance RGB modules.

J74zHAF.jpg

This kit consists of four 8GB modules, for a total of 32GB of available memory. The speed of the modules is rated at 3000MHz. The key feature for this kit is that they contain RGB lighting on the top of each module.

zfrU6U5.jpg

Here are two shots of the CPU and memory modules installed on the motherboard.

5pmFe0X.jpg

prq1nl8.jpg

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

Almost forgot about the NVMe M.2 SSD drives. These are the 480GB version and are about the size of a stick of gum.

0dxZghh.jpg

b1sT9rO.jpg

One is mounted above PCIe slot 1 and the other is mounted near the bottom of the chipset heatsink. I intend for one to be the boot drive holding Windows 10 and other non-gaming programs, while the other will be used for my frequently played games. The speed of these units will ensure minimal loading times.

uSJGs7v.jpg

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

I approve... This looks awesome. how are you going to put the case back together? New rivets? 

Just out of curiosity, how did you get into PC modding?

5 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

I approve... This looks awesome. how are you going to put the case back together? New rivets? 

Yes, I have a whole batch of black rivets for re-assembly.

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

3 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Just out of curiosity, how did you get into PC modding?

It started out small - putting a window in an Antec case that didn't have one. Then I saw the case modding event at QuakeCon 2011 and thought that modding didn't look too difficult. From there it grew. Each case has grown in complexity as I have learned new skills. My previous mods have included vinyl tubing, acrylic tubing and copper tubing. For painting, I have done powdercoating and automotive paint.

I always do a build log for each mod and that has helped gather attention to my efforts. As I started winning modding competitions, I was able to meet corporate sponsors that attended and talk with them. Sponsors really do look at build logs and past performance at these events. One of the more important aspects of any build is to have a theme and follow it!

For this build I am going low-tech with no massive watercooling setup. The CPU will be cooled with an AIO cooler and the GPU will remain stock. The only real change in this case is the color.

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

2 minutes ago, NavyChief said:

I always do a build log for each mod

I noticed you have them on LTT as well, you go over everything in great detail.  The copper looked very cool

20 minutes ago, Damascus said:

I noticed you have them on LTT as well, you go over everything in great detail.  The copper looked very cool

Thanks. I post build logs on about 8 different sites. Some sponsors like posting in a wide variety of sites to reach a larger audience.

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

This is really awesome!

I have a 570x i wanted to spray white but it scares the shit out of me because I'm an amateur. plus I wouldn't know how to put the case back together after spraying it.

Looking good so far

12 hours ago, Strike1st said:

This is really awesome!

I have a 570x i wanted to spray white but it scares the shit out of me because I'm an amateur. plus I wouldn't know how to put the case back together after spraying it.

Don't be afraid to disassemble the case. It is not as difficult as you would imagine.

Painting is fairly straight forward - sand the surface, primer and then paint. If you are doing a white build, you can use Rust-oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint & Primer. This one can has primer and paint together so you don't have to purchase them separately.

The disassembly is easy... remove all parts that you can with a screwdriver, then use a drill with a 1/8" bit to drill out all the rivets. The case can easily be disassembled in about 30 minutes.

If you are unsure of anything, then take photos before taking anything apart. I will normally take photos of corners and such to show me how the parts fit together. Here are two photos that I took of the corner pieces. 

wqn7lLh.jpg

eWiP5Kd.jpg

As you can see, they show the majority of how the corners are assembled and fit together. Just take a lot of photos all around the case. Visual references can go a long way.

You will need a rivet gun and of course some rivets for reassembly. I will be using black rivets to complement this build. Most home improvement stores have the rivet guns and a good supply of aluminum rivets.

Monolithic 500D

Glorious PCMR

Black and Blue 800D

10 hours ago, NavyChief said:

Don't be afraid to disassemble the case. It is not as difficult as you would imagine.

Painting is fairly straight forward - sand the surface, primer and then paint. If you are doing a white build, you can use Rust-oleum 2X Ultra Cover Paint & Primer. This one can has primer and paint together so you don't have to purchase them separately.

The disassembly is easy... remove all parts that you can with a screwdriver, then use a drill with a 1/8" bit to drill out all the rivets. The case can easily be disassembled in about 30 minutes.

If you are unsure of anything, then take photos before taking anything apart. I will normally take photos of corners and such to show me how the parts fit together. Here are two photos that I took of the corner pieces. 

As you can see, they show the majority of how the corners are assembled and fit together. Just take a lot of photos all around the case. Visual references can go a long way.

You will need a rivet gun and of course some rivets for reassembly. I will be using black rivets to complement this build. Most home improvement stores have the rivet guns and a good supply of aluminum rivets.

Cool. One simple question though. Do you paint the screws as well? do you deal with it the same way as spraying the case itself?