migrate boot drive from on PC to another?

LOUOS
Go to solution Solved by toasty6776,
6 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

Hey so will he be able to migrate his data too then,i.e., getting from his old to new pc?

You could easily do a fresh install of Windows on another drive (like an SSD) and then connect the laptop drive in addition to that boot drive. Then he could either pull off all his data onto his new boot drive or just use the laptop drive as additional storage and leave it in the new system permanently (a format of the drive would be recommended in this case though, so you don't have to waste the space on the Windows install that's already on the laptop HDD).

So my friends laptop is pretty much dead and wanted to build a new PC. I just wanted to know if I could just take to hard drive from the laptop and plug the dive into the new PC? are there any specific programs or precautions I need to take?

temporary solution - someone else's problem

Technically it will work, but you will have numerous issues with drivers because of it. It is always recommended that when changing a motherboard or moving form one to another, unless they are the exact same model, you should do a fresh install of windows. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, LOUOS said:

So my friends laptop is pretty much dead and wanted to build a new PC. I just wanted to know if I could just take to hard drive from the laptop and plug the dive into the new PC? are there any specific programs or precautions I need to take?

It wouldn't work too great. It's doable but there would be issues. I have a guide in my sig showing you how to do it.

But laptop drives are slow and highly recommend to install Windows fresh on a new drive, preferably a SSD

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

You should do a clean install.

Chances are it will not boot at all.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

16 minutes ago, ttam said:

It wouldn't work too great. It's doable but there would be issues. I have a guide in my sig showing you how to do it.

But laptop drives are slow and highly recommend to install Windows fresh on a new drive, preferably a SSD

Hey so will he be able to migrate his data too then,i.e., getting from his old to new pc?

6 minutes ago, ArkTheYO said:

You could easily do a fresh install of Windows on another drive (like an SSD) and then connect the laptop drive in addition to that boot drive. Then he could either pull off all his data onto his new boot drive or just use the laptop drive as additional storage and leave it in the new system permanently (a format of the drive would be recommended in this case though, so you don't have to waste the space on the Windows install that's already on the laptop HDD).

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

I think your best option is to copy all important data onto another drive, like an external drive, then format your boot drive (if you really want to keep it, because a better option would be to simply buy a desktop drive) and then copy back all the data you saved.

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |