Partition File Format for Linux

Go to solution Solved by DaemonWarrior44,
11 hours ago, noahdvs said:

If you use NTFS for your Linux partition instead of something like EXT4, Linux will be slower than it would normally be. I use an EXT4 partition for Linux that holds the OS and programs, an NTFS partition for Windows that holds the OS and programs and a separate harddrive formatted for NTFS for my files and steam games. That allows me to share files between operating systems. It also means that reinstalling an operating system or installing a new one is less of a big deal. I still have to copy settings to my personal files drive if I want to keep them when I reinstall, but it's better than having to copy every file of mine every time.

Yeah, I read that Ext4 files aren't quite compatible with NTFS or any other file format. But I've already installed it, I just did it with the default config (no custom partitions or anything like that). Thanks to all of you who helped me out with this.

6 hours ago, DaemonWarrior44 said:

Yeah, I read that Ext4 files aren't quite compatible with NTFS or any other file format. But I've already installed it, I just did it with the default config (no custom partitions or anything like that). Thanks to all of you who helped me out with this.

Like Captain Chaos says, it's not the files that are the problem, it's that Windows can't read EXT4 partitions. The files are still basically the same in both file systems, so you can copy files between partitions with different files systems as long as your OS can read them. I have an idea for getting around this limitation, but I'm not sure if it will work. It involves using the Linux Subsystem for Windows to copy files from EXT4 partitions to a partition with a file system that is compatible with Windows or reading the files directly with the Linux Subsystem, but only cli programs will work.