Best GPU+CPU combo?

>_Raccoon

So I'm making a new build and I have come up with these few possible combinations of GPU and CPU:

G4560+RX480

G4560+GTX1060

i5-7400+RX480

i5-7400+RX470

(i5-7400+GTX1060 is not an option as it becomes way to expensive in my country)

Which do you think is the best for the money and which do you think will be the most consistent throughout all games. It would be nice to have the G4560 combos as they are cheap, but I would like to know if the i5-7400 combos can give me better value for money.

11 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

G4560+RX480

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

So I'm making a new build and I have come up with these few possible combinations of GPU and CPU:

G4560+RX480

G4560+GTX1060

i5-7400+RX480

i5-7400+RX470

(i5-7400+GTX1060 is not an option as it becomes way to expensive in my country)

Which do you think is the best for the money and which do you think will be the most consistent throughout all games. It would be nice to have the G4560 combos as they are cheap, but I would like to know if the i5-7400 combos can give me better value for money.

i5-7400+RX480 No doubt

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

Just now, ZM Fong said:

I saw in a benchmarking video that RX480 drops significantly when a lot of action is packed however 1060 stays more consistent.

29 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

I saw in a benchmarking video that RX480 drops significantly when a lot of action is packed however 1060 stays more consistent.

The 1060 is better than the 480, but it's also a bit more expensive from what I've seen. Likewise, the G4560 is a very good CPU and in a lot of cases will match an i7 -- but there will be cases where it won't and you'll notice it badly. But that comes with it being a £60 CPU. Do you want pure value for money, or do you want a minimum threshold of performance above that?

2 hours ago, othertomperson said:

The 1060 is better than the 480, but it's also a bit more expensive from what I've seen. Likewise, the G4560 is a very good CPU and in a lot of cases will match an i7 -- but there will be cases where it won't and you'll notice it badly. But that comes with it being a £60 CPU. Do you want pure value for money, or do you want a minimum threshold of performance above that?

The latter, but also, note that I am okay with buying a 1060 with the G4560 but not with an i5-7400

Also, I don't edit/animate most of the time. I just program and game mostly(about 95% of the time on the computer).

5 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

The latter, but also, note that I am okay with buying a 1060 with the G4560

Personally I'd hold off on the CPU what with cheap Ryzen literally being 10 days away. It's not going to be cheaper than the Pentium, and it's highly unlikely to be better than the i5, but it will be near i5 for closer to i3 prices, which is nice. And if more games follow the AotS example and magically pull some extra performance out of their arse, then great (I would not gamble on this alone, however).

Your comment about consistency in games is the big problem with the Pentium. It's fantastic for the price, it really is, but there is variance in a lot of titles in how it performs.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

Personally I'd hold off on the CPU what with cheap Ryzen literally being 10 days away. It's not going to be cheaper than the Pentium, and it's highly unlikely to be better than the i5, but it will be near i5 for closer to i3 prices, which is nice. And if more games follow the AotS example and magically pull some extra performance out of their arse, then great (I would not gamble on this alone, however).

But thing is, I live in Bangladesh and Ryzen 5 isn't coming here anytime soon. I might have to ship it here somehow. Plus, i5-7400 doesn't show a ton of difference in gaming from the G4560 anyways does it. I mean in some cases it does, but not most. If Ryzen 5 is unlikely to be better than i5 then I would just get the G4560. But how many cores does the Ryzen 5 bring?

Just now, >_Raccoon said:

But thing is, I live in Bangladesh and Ryzen 5 isn't coming here anytime soon. I might have to ship it here somehow. Plus, i5-7400 doesn't show a ton of difference in gaming from the G4560 anyways does it. I mean in some cases it does, but not most. If Ryzen 5 is unlikely to be better than i5 then I would just get the G4560. But how many cores does the Ryzen 5 bring?

Ah ok then. I wouldn't ship it, it'll cost more than the price difference anyway. If you're still interested Ryzen 5 will have three SKUs -- one six core 12 thread, and two 4 core 8 thread.

Again, the real problem with the G4560 is consistency. Its average framerates are brilliant, especially considering its price. However, it's going to be pegged at max more often than other CPUs (this is where you get stuttering), and some games (especially Dx12, but most new Dx11 ones too) do like lots of cores (they do benefit from 6 cores over 4 now) so these are going to deliver much more consistent framerates over the Pentium.

You need to look at the games you actually want to play and see how it does. I would look at the i5 just for the 4 cores at this point unless you're really on a budget. And if you can get Ryzen at a sane price where you are then its 4 cores with SMT is worth looking at when we know how it performs, and its value against the i5 can be ascertained.

8 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Ah ok then. I wouldn't ship it, it'll cost more than the price difference anyway. If you're still interested Ryzen 5 will have three SKUs -- one six core 12 thread, and two 4 core 8 thread.

Again, the real problem with the G4560 is consistency. Its average framerates are brilliant, especially considering its price. However, it's going to be pegged at max more often than other CPUs (this is where you get stuttering), and some games (especially Dx12, but most new Dx11 ones too) do like lots of cores (they do benefit from 6 cores over 4 now) so these are going to deliver much more consistent framerates over the Pentium.

You need to look at the games you actually want to play and see how it does. I would look at the i5 just for the 4 cores at this point unless you're really on a budget. And if you can get Ryzen at a sane price where you are then its 4 cores with SMT is worth looking at when we know how it performs, and its value against the i5 can be ascertained.

Would I be able to run the G4560 comfortably for about 5 more years? I mean can I play the newer games with it

5 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

Would I be able to run the G4560 comfortably for about 5 more years? I mean can I play the newer games with it

No. You want a R7 or 6800K if you want something to run into the ground for that long, not a £60 dual core.

No.

Yeah that's the problem then. I think the quad-core i5-7400 will do better In that case?

15 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

Yeah that's the problem then. I think the quad-core i5-7400 will do better In that case?

Certainly, but I still wouldn't bank on keeping it for 5 years and expecting it to stay relevant. People only managed that with Sandy Bridge because they were K-series CPUs and overclocked like a beast, and also APIs didn't make much use out of more than 4 cores/8 threads in that product's lifetime either.

Ryzen 7 may be a crap gaming CPU compared with the 7700K right now, but it's almost certainly not going to stay that way over the course of the next few years.

Certainly, but I still wouldn't bank on keeping it for 5 years and expecting it to stay relevant. People only managed that with Sandy Bridge because they were K-series CPUs and overclocked like a beast, and also APIs didn't make much use out of more than 4 cores/8 threads in that product's lifetime either.

But the 7400 would be more consistent right?

3 minutes ago, >_Raccoon said:

But the 7400 would be more consistent right?

Yes. I would expect it to have higher minimums and more consistency across a variety of games than the G4560, even if its average framerate itself isn't better.

On the other hand, it's also the same price as the R5 1500X.*

*Uhh pricing conversions and stuff were involved in this assertion so ymmv

5 minutes ago, othertomperson said:

Yes. I would expect it to have higher minimums and more consistency across a variety of games than the G4560, even if its average framerate itself isn't better.

Would you consider it to be a better choice if I paired a G4560 with a GTX1060 now and kept the saved money for a future CPU upgrade? I don't play big AAA titles all that much anyways, and also I don't game 1440p or Ultra or like that, I like 1080p High-Very High Settings

Because the 1060 can work fine with the i5s without bottlenecking.

1 hour ago, >_Raccoon said:

Would you consider it to be a better choice if I paired a G4560 with a GTX1060 now and kept the saved money for a future CPU upgrade? I don't play big AAA titles all that much anyways, and also I don't game 1440p or Ultra or like that, I like 1080p High-Very High Settings

Because the 1060 can work fine with the i5s without bottlenecking.

I mean how much do you care about not upgrading for 5 years? That's a really long time.