Best fans for watercooling and airflow

Paperchaser

Hi All

This is my first post, so just a little introduction. My name is Robert, 24 and I'm from Amsterdam, The Netherlands

I need some help with my build linustechtippers and I hope you guys can help me out.

Before I start, please see below my system and specifications:

• Phanteks Evolv ATX
  • i5-6600K overclocked 4.2Ghz , 1.3volt
  • MSI Z170A Gaming Pro
  • Corsair Hydro H100i V2
  • MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB HX424C15FBK2
  • NZXT HUE+
  • Corsair RM500x
  • Asus MG279Q @ 165Hz

2v2t9uu.jpg

As you can see I have replaced only one fan for an AF140.. the other fans are all stock fans.

Its time now to replace all my fans, because I need a better airflow in my case.. when my CPU's are on 100% load the fans are starting to make to much noise.

The tempatures are great as you can see below, I did a stress test for 5,5 hours,

vwtnjo.png

I have done alot of reading, but my knowledge about CFM is not that great, that's why I hope you guys can help me out.

Now I'm using , 2x 120MM Corsair stock fans for my H100i V2 (Intake), 2x 140MM Phanteks stock fans above (outtake), 1x 140MM AF140(outtake). This all got the go and I want to replace for new fans.

You can see my airflow at this moment below.

1060leo.jpg

Which fans would you guys recommend?, My budget is around 20 ~ 35euro each fan.

What is the best thing to do? 3x 120MM intake and move my radiator to the top? Or 2x 120mm intake and leave my radiator where it is right now.

Howmany intake fans and howmany outtake fans is the best thing to do? I was thinking about 3x 120MM in the front (Intake), 2x 120MM at the top with my H100i V2(outtake), and 1x 140MM at the back(outtake).

This will make the intake and outtake equal, but is that smart to do?

What are the best places to connect my fans? I'm using MSI Z170A Gaming Pro and I also have the below at the back of my PC.

rsvbit.jpg

If you need any further information to help me out, please let me know.. I will reply within 5 minutes.

I hope you guys want to help me out!

Thanks in advance.

p.s Sorry for my bad english, If i'm unclear please let me know.

This pc build is way better then what I've got, but I do have a keyboard I can bash, so here are my toughts.

I would put the radiator on top, not in the front. Your radiator will take in "cold air", and blow out "warm air" due to the heat exchange. This means you pull in warm air into your case. So your GPU needs to be cooled with warmer air. Also your motherboard components are being cooled with warmer air.

Yes, your CPU radiator will now be cooled with warmer air, since the motherboard/GPU will warm up the air inside your case. I would still do it this way.

I would also keep the current layout of the fans/airflow. So 2 intakes in the front, and the other 3 fans blowing out.

You might want to look for some vids on youtube made by Jayz2cents. He talks alot about water cooling, and he has got some great vids where he talks about airflow, push-pull and fan speeds. Moar fans doesn't mean you have to run all them fans at a 100%.

Also: hoi.

I know I didn't ask for any further information, but still...

34 minutes ago, Paperchaser said:

I will reply within 5 minutes.

1 hour ago, Dutch-stoner said:

This pc build is way better then what I've got, but I do have a keyboard I can bash, so here are my toughts.

I would put the radiator on top, not in the front. Your radiator will take in "cold air", and blow out "warm air" due to the heat exchange. This means you pull in warm air into your case. So your GPU needs to be cooled with warmer air. Also your motherboard components are being cooled with warmer air.

Yes, your CPU radiator will now be cooled with warmer air, since the motherboard/GPU will warm up the air inside your case. I would still do it this way.

I would also keep the current layout of the fans/airflow. So 2 intakes in the front, and the other 3 fans blowing out.

You might want to look for some vids on youtube made by Jayz2cents. He talks alot about water cooling, and he has got some great vids where he talks about airflow, push-pull and fan speeds. Moar fans doesn't mean you have to run all them fans at a 100%.

Thanks for your input.

The strange part is that 3 days ago I had my radiator at the top and the temps of my CPU went UP.. Now I have it at the front again and the temps are lower..

Excuse me if i'm wrong, but if i have my radiator at the front doenst it pull cold air inside through my radiator.. that turns into warm air when its in the case.. and my fans at the top pull the hot air out?

Another question, which fans do you recommend me to buy if i'm going to change the 2 front into 2x 120MM , the 2X 140mm tops and the 1X 140MM at the end?

1 minute ago, Paperchaser said:

The strange part is that 3 days ago I had my radiator at the top and the temps of my CPU went UP.. Now I have it at the front again and the temps are lower..

Yes, that can be correct. You were pulling/pushing pre-heated (mobo chipset, ram, GPU) trough your rad when it was up top. This means the air had less room for moar heat. But my point is...

Your CPU might run moar cool. Your motherboard/ram/GPU had pre-heated air coming in the case. So your motherboard/GPU and ram were heating up moar. (in exchange for a lowered CPU temp) I personaly would prefer them other components to run cooler, unless you need the high CPU OC for some reason. I personaly think that your CPU can feed enough data to your GPU, so that your GPU would run at 100% and your CPU (for example) just on 60%. If that would be the case, it would be better to cool your GPU a bit moar, then a lowered temp on your CPU.

*would be way moar easy if we could just speak dutch, but me thinks there are forum rules against it*

On the subject of fans... I am not an expert, and I have a very noisy room so I don't care when my 5 euro fans spin up to 100% non-stop. But a while ago, Linus (and other tech youtubers) were all like: GET NOCTUA FANS!!! THEY ARE THE BEST!!! I think this is still true. But them fans were ugly as hell and not RGB at all. And I think you would want that...

Hmm okay. I will take a look.

Any others that can help me with picking the best fans, Noctua best chose?

Noctua is truly the top of line, made my old Corsair AF/SP series fans look like a kids' play.

6 years warranty is no joke. Their bearings makes no noise at all.

Just now, ottoyu34 said:

Noctua is truly the top of line, made my old Corsair AF/SP series fans look like a kids' play.

6 years warranty is no joke. Their bearings makes no noise at all.

Oke. But what do you recommend? 2x 140MM in front and H100i V2 in the top with 2x120MM.. or 2x 120MM in front with H100i V2 and 3x 120MM in top?

Your temps are low. Just lower your fan speeds.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 01/04/2017 at 0:26 PM, Dutch-stoner said:

Have you ever placed your hand behind the CPU radiator? The CPU doesn't generate that much heat, unlike a powerful GPU. The air coming out of an CPU radiator is barely warm. Putting the rad in front as intake is perfectly fine.

Second, two intakes and three exhaust fans will create negative pressure...doesn't sound like a good idea.

1 minute ago, Deli said:

Second, two intakes and three exhaust fans will create negative pressure...doesn't sound like a good idea

It all depends on fan speeds and type of fans. Jayz2cents had a great vid about this, might edit this post later on with that vid.

First of all. The best 120mm radiator fans is Gentle Typhoon. I used to have Noctua NF-F12(four of them). And now using the Gentle Typhoon. That speaks for itself. The best 140mm rad/airflow fans is Noctua P14(the brown older model, or the newer redux version). Best 120mm airflow fan is Noctua NF-S12A, if you can bear the color.

I know it sounds strange, but flip the rear 140mm around as intake. Keep the top ones as exhaust. Don't believe me? You can try and see if the temp of your GPU and mobo components improve. Oh, don't forget to add a dust filter for the 140mm fan if indeed you decide to run that set up.

18 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

It all depends on fan speeds and type of fans. Jayz2cents had a great vid about this, might edit this post later on with that vid.

Front intake has dust filter, plus the radiator has resistance for air flow. The air draws from the front is somewhat limited. On the other hand airflow fan can draw ton more air compares to pressure optimize fan at the same noise level. Especially if placed as exhaust, as there is nothing to obstruct the air flow. One good air flow fan as exhaust can easily compensate three pressure optimized fans as intakes.

@Deli Kijk dit. Dit is het concept waar ik naar verwees qua fan indeling. Al is het aan TS om zijn/haar keuze te maken.

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

@Deli Kijk dit. Dit is het concept waar ik naar verwees qua fan indeling. Al is het aan TS om zijn/haar keuze te maken.

I know this video.

Have you noticed Jay isn't using any dust filter on intake fans? Dust filter reduces air flow a lot. I mean a lot. Second, his intake fans are 140mm, while exhaust fans are 120mm. Fans of same type(pressure-optimized vs air-flow), 140mm fan draws almost 50% more air at the same noise level.

Three 140mm intakes without dust filter can generate positive pressure, even though there are five 120mm exhaust.

@Deli While again ignoring fan speeds...

4 minutes ago, Dutch-stoner said:

@Deli While again ignoring fan speeds...

Fan speed/rpm means nothing. What really matters is air flow vs noise level.

1 hour ago, Deli said:

I know this video.

Have you noticed Jay isn't using any dust filter on intake fans? Dust filter reduces air flow a lot. I mean a lot. Second, his intake fans are 140mm, while exhaust fans are 120mm. Fans of same type(pressure-optimized vs air-flow), 140mm fan draws almost 50% more air at the same noise level.

Three 140mm intakes without dust filter can generate positive pressure, even though there are five 120mm exhaust.

Just a little correction.

at this moment my h100i v2 is in the front with 2x 120MM intake.. the 2 fans at the top are 140mm outtake and the fan in the back is a 140mm outtake..

so i have 2x 120mm intake and 3x 140mm outtake.

Im just wondering if i will get a better cooling if i place 3x120mm (intake) in front and place h100i v2 on top with 2x 120mm (outtake) and 1x 140mm at the back (outtake)

this will make 3x intake and 3x exhaust

44 minutes ago, Paperchaser said:

Just a little correction.

at this moment my h100i v2 is in the front with 2x 120MM intake.. the 2 fans at the top are 140mm outtake and the fan in the back is a 140mm outtake..

so i have 2x 120mm intake and 3x 140mm outtake.

Im just wondering if i will get a better cooling if i place 3x120mm (intake) in front and place h100i v2 on top with 2x 120mm (outtake) and 1x 140mm at the back (outtake)

this will make 3x intake and 3x exhaust

I personally prefer CPU radiator cooled with fresh intake air. Because the GPU can produce a lot of heat, a lot more than the 6600K. The hot air from the GPU is used to cool the CPU. I once had this set up, and the CPU run 10C hotter, although my GPU had 250w TDP, really dumped load of heat in to the case.

Could you keep the H110i v2 at the front, while add another 120mm intake fan? So there are three intake fans. To keep the positive pressure. You can simply reduce the speed of the 140mm exhaust fans. A side benefit, your system will probably more quiet.

26 minutes ago, Deli said:

I personally prefer CPU radiator cooled with fresh intake air. Because the GPU can produce a lot of heat, a lot more than the 6600K. The hot air from the GPU is used to cool the CPU. I once had this set up, and the CPU run 10C hotter, although my GPU had 250w TDP, really dumped load of heat in to the case.

Could you keep the H110i v2 at the front, while add another 120mm intake fan? So there are three intake fans. To keep the positive pressure. You can simply reduce the speed of the 140mm exhaust fans. A side benefit, your system will probably more quiet.

Unfortunately i can only place 2x 120MM at the front if i keep my radiator there.

I actually want to order today, so I receive them on thursday.

What is the best thing to do gentleman? If I place 3x 120MM in the front I will have more air movement instead of 2x 140MM.. (Depends on which fan I take).

I will place the radiator at the top with 2x 120MM, The fan at the end wil keep 140MM.

If I keep the radiator in the front I will replace the fans with 2x120MM(inhale). I can place 3x 120MM in the top (exhaust) and 1x 140MM at the end(exhaust)

This will make 2x inhale 4x exhaust.. is this the best thing to do?

and which fans do you guys recommend? Noctua NF-F12 , Gentle Typhoon , NF-S12A.

6 hours ago, Paperchaser said:

I actually want to order today, so I receive them on thursday.

What is the best thing to do gentleman? If I place 3x 120MM in the front I will have more air movement instead of 2x 140MM.. (Depends on which fan I take).

I will place the radiator at the top with 2x 120MM, The fan at the end wil keep 140MM.

If I keep the radiator in the front I will replace the fans with 2x120MM(inhale). I can place 3x 120MM in the top (exhaust) and 1x 140MM at the end(exhaust)

This will make 2x inhale 4x exhaust.. is this the best thing to do?

and which fans do you guys recommend? Noctua NF-F12 , Gentle Typhoon , NF-S12A.

I know in general people will recommend the top fans used as exhaust, because hot air raises. But think about it. The fan is so much more powerful than natural heat convention. If you place the radiator on top and the fans as intake. This way you cool the CPU with fresh cool air. While the rear 140mm fan will suck the hot air out right away. You can keep the front with two or three 120mm intakes, and reduces the speed. Both CPU and GPU will be cooled nicely.

You might think, there is only one 140mm exhaust fan. First of all, one 140mm equals to one and a half 120mm fan in term of air flow. Moreover, because the rear exhaust has nothing to obstruct the air flow. It can draw god amount of air. Try run a Noctua NF-P14s at 1000rpm as exhaust. You will be amazed how much air it sucks out while remains very quiet.

NF-S12A is only good as rear exhaust fan. Any location with dust filter or radiator will be better fit with pressure optimized fans.

NF-F12 and Gentle Typhoon are very similar in term of noise and cooling performance below 1000rpm. But the noise NF-F12 generates increase very fast after around 1200rpm, and the sound pitch is high and not easy on the ears(relatively speaking). So you can say Gentle Typhoon wins at higher rpm.

To cool your 6600K with H100i v2. I think you can get away with the fans running below 1200rpm, while the temp is still nice.

15 hours ago, Paperchaser said:

What is the best thing to do gentleman?

Lower your fan speeds if you find them too loud. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Gentleman, I made my dicision.

First of all I will lower my fan speeds. The second I have bought te below fans:

5x Noiseblocker eLoop B12-PS, 120mm

1x Noiseblocker Casefan eLoop B14-PS PWM.

The fans are quiet and look pretty cool! I rather bought the Noctua but they are ugly as f***.

Ofcourse you need to make a dicision.. do you prefer preformance or looks.. I want them both, so that's why I bought the Noiseblockers.

If there are any other people with this type of fans.. please let me know your experience, pros and cons.

Thank you guys for all your time and advise.

** UPDATE **

The last decision I will need to make is, if I will keep my H100i V2 at the front.. or shall I place it in the back.

Anyone else wants to share he's thoughts on this? p.s Thanks for the guys that have already replied on this.

4 hours ago, Paperchaser said:

First of all I will lower my fan speeds. The second I have bought te below fans:

5x Noiseblocker eLoop B12-PS, 120mm

1x Noiseblocker Casefan eLoop B14-PS PWM.

The last decision I will need to make is, if I will keep my H100i V2 at the front.. or shall I place it in the back.

4pin pwm eLoops are worse than the 3pin variant--avoid them.

They look nice but don't fit the aesthetic as well as AF140's imo.

Keeping the h100i at the front makes sense.