Kodi.tv Domain Has Been Sized by the ICE

Maximoose
Go to solution Solved by Maximoose,

Solved:

Read above to figure out why. You all are geniuses.

It is an April fools joke, not a funny one though.

It is not an April fools joke. It isn't funny and sometimes illegal to impersonate the US government.

I just went to try to go to Kodi's website (kodi.tv) to try and download it to my computer and I get this:

t99m60.png

it says that Kodi is accused of a federal crime for intentionally distributing pirated content.

Kodi is not distributing pirated content, the third party applications (or add-ons) are distributing the content. To make matters worse, sellers that Kodi doesn't authorize are selling streaming boxes with these pirating third party applications pre-loaded.

This must have happened recently because the Google search page updated to display the page's new title right after I tried again.

I live in the US.

It is not an April fools joke. It isn't funny and sometimes illegal to impersonate the US government.

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

well don't expect to get much love here. We openly dislike people who pirate content, regardless of intent. You have opened a can of worms on yourself by openly admitting you were doing this. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, legacy99 said:

well don't expect to get much love here. We openly dislike people who pirate content, regardless of intent. You have opened a can of worms on yourself by openly admitting you were doing this. 

Stop making fucking assumptions, this is an April Fool's joke most likely. 

Kodi is an open-source piece of software used globally by people with media centers. It comes with no content, but through the use of 3rd party addons not associated with the Kodi team, it can be used for illegal streaming/piracy. 

idk

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

kodi is a media center application. it is like saying people that use VLC are pirates also.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, Droidbot said:

Kodi is an open-source piece of software used globally by people with media centers. It comes with no content, but through the use of 3rd party addons not associated with the Kodi team, it can be used for illegal streaming/piracy. 

its not an april fools joke. The domain has indeed been seized by ICE. I just tried to go there to check it out as I had never heard of it. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

it has to be

3 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Idiot, do some research, kodi and the devs do not support pirate add-ons.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I kinda hope it's some lame skiddie's April Fool's joke because Kodi is nice. Won't be the first time I've seen this gag.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Just now, legacy99 said:

A. I didn't say I pirated content

B. Like I said, Kodi and software from it's website don't pirate content, the third party applications do, but popular belief has led the government into thinking it is distributing the content, when all it does is stand as begin open source. It's like someone doing something illegal with Windows and then the US blames Microsoft for it.

Read more here:

https://www.groundedreason.com/what-is-kodi-and-is-it-legal/

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

Just now, legacy99 said:

its not an april fools joke. The domain has indeed been seized by ICE. I just tried to go there to check it out as I had never heard of it. 

Kodi use to be called XBMC

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Stop making fucking assumptions, this is an April Fool's joke most likely

that's one gruesome April fool's to play - I would not do that

1 minute ago, leelaa14 said:

Idiot, do some research, kodi and the devs do not support pirate add-ons.

That is exactly what I said, read the post, idiot.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I don't think so, it isn't funny to impersonate the government or for the government to do such things.

I can guarantee it's an april fools prank btw.
And a smart one too, probably scare a few box sellers.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

Just now, Maximoose said:

I don't think so, it isn't funny to impersonate the government or for the government to do such things.

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's one gruesome April fool's to play - I would not do that

4 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

Whois lookup still leads to XBMC Foundation, their old name:

nic-hdl: CF3454-GANDI
  owner-name: XBMC Foundation
  organisation: XBMC Foundation
  person: Team XBMC
  address: '340 S LEMON AVE #7222'
  zipcode: 91789
  city: WALNUT
  state: California
  phone: +1.6784943762

idk

It doesn't make sense that it would be I.C.E.  I would think this would be in the F.B.I. jurisdiction? 

1 Timothy 1:15

Just now, leelaa14 said:

I can guarantee it's an april fools prank btw.

It's not funny and sometimes illigal to impersonate the government. Check the link (kodi.tv). The news has been scattered with this stuff for the past months too. Just search Kodi news on google. That's one complicated April fools prank.

Just now, zMeul said:

I would not be so sure

https://www.kodi.tv/download doesn't exist anymore

Everything redirects to the page, yeah. 

http://ninjavideo.net/ & http://rockdizfile.com/ are examples of previous ICE takedowns, looks way different.. 

This one's actually HTML, the other ones are a banner, and they're legit takedowns too..

idk

So April first it's a prank. Then on the second, they declare it really was a prank. And then on the third the site will indeed be closed by the government.

Just now, zMeul said:

I would not be so sure

https://www.kodi.tv/download doesn't exist anymore

Just now, Darth Revan said:

So April first it's a prank. Then on the second, they declare it really was a prank. And then on the third the site will indeed be closed by the government.

Exactly, that's why (unless the people at Kodi are blithering idiots) they wouldn't do it.

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Everything redirects to the page, yeah. 

http://ninjavideo.net/ & http://rockdizfile.com/ are examples of previous ICE takedowns, looks way different.. 

This one's actually HTML, the other ones are a banner, and they're legit takedowns too..

Maybe their takedown page has been updated since then.

THIS IS AN APRILS FOOLS JOKE.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Can someone law savvy check out whether there's actually a seizure warrant on the courts stated there? U.S.C 981 and 2323. If there is, then it's real for sure. And if there isn't, chances are it's not real.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR