HTML and CSS

boorjiusss

Hello!

What code editor can I use to make HTML and CSS?

Thanks!

Personally, I use Brackets, but between HTML and CSS it's really up to personal preference. Programs like Atom and Brackets are what I would recommend personally

2 minutes ago, Squarq said:

Personally, I use Brackets, but between HTML and CSS it's really up to personal preference. Programs like Atom and Brackets are what I would recommend personally

Thanks for your recommendation. Where can I download them?

I still ocasionaly use Frontpage 2003.

2 minutes ago, boorjiusss said:

Thanks for your recommendation. Where can I download them?

Just Google it, man.

HAL9000: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x | Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black | 32 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz | Asus X570 Prime Pro | ASUS TUF 3080 Ti | 1 TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus + 1 TB Crucial MX500 + 6 TB WD RED | Corsair HX1000 | be quiet Pure Base 500DX | LG 34UM95 34" 3440x1440

Hydrogen server: Intel i3-10100 | Cryorig M9i | 64 GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDR4 | Gigabyte B560M-DS3H | 33 TB of storage | Fractal Design Define R5 | unRAID 6.9.2

Carbon server: Fujitsu PRIMERGY RX100 S7p | Xeon E3-1230 v2 | 16 GB DDR3 ECC | 60 GB Corsair SSD & 250 GB Samsung 850 Pro | Intel i340-T4 | ESXi 6.5.1

Big Mac cluster: 2x Raspberry Pi 2 Model B | 1x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B | 2x Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+

You can technically just use notepad. The standard text editor that comes with widows. It works. But other editors come with some handy extras that can be useful.

• Notepad++ https://notepad-plus-plus.org/ - It's open source. Very popular. Has plenty of things added in such as syntax highlighting. I don't really like their plugin system, but if you're just starting out you probably won't be using plugins much anyway
  • Sublime Text 3 https://www.sublimetext.com/3 - Unlimited free trial. Also popular. Much improved UI over notepad++. Extensive plugin system with almost anything you could ever want available. This is one of the editors I use.
  • Atom https://atom.io/ - Relatively new editor created by Github, so it ships with git support which is a plus for many people. Similar UI to sublime. Plugins are very easy to create so even while it's somewhat new, it has good plugin support. I'm trying to move from sublime to atom

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

On 3/31/2017 at 1:20 PM, boorjiusss said:

Hello!

What code editor can I use to make HTML and CSS?

Thanks!

Literally any text editor, or even command line / terminal if you like. That's the beauty of HTML/CSS - no dev environment to setup on every machine you might use to code it. However, if you want syntax highlighting and auto-completion, I recommend Notepad++, Atom.io, or SubLime Text, depending on your needs.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Even though it's somewhat rare in this side of industry, I always recommend vim. 

I recommend vim because it saves me so much effort being able to just ssh into a server and make changes within a full-blown editor.

Saying this, I'd only recommend it if your OS is a linux distro. I've always used Linux for development (mostly for the practicality of being able to develop locally without something like wamp or xampp).

If you're on Windows then, as others have said:

Sublime, Atom, Brackets, VSCode, etc. tend to be popular choices. 

I dislike Atom and VSCode with a passion because they're built on Electron (essentially a headless chrome instance). This means they're rather heavy for text editors. I, personally, don't require some of the fancy features that come in Bracket e.g. live preview. Having done web design for a number of years, I consider my brain a pretty accurate web rendering engine (I think most people who've been doing it long enough do as well - as soon as I see a layout, I can imagine exactly how I'd create it in HTML and CSS). I've designed a lot of things without a preview the whole way through and just refreshed at the end (I always end up adjusting a few things like colours and font sizes at the end but, for the most part, it's pretty easy to work without a live preview -  the reason I stopped doing full stack web development, it was way too repetitive. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see things like Bootstrap popping up everyday). Modern web development isn't as much about reinventing the wheel as it is polishing somebody else's wheel (I hate how new designers quickly jump into front-end frameworks and then end up relying on them to the extent that they can't create websites without them - this is an example of a modern cop-out that you should try to avoid. Learn CSS first, then learn front-end frameworks - same with everything really. I've never bought into a framework without being pretty certain that I could create my own version of the framework myself. Perhaps not as polished, but the understanding aspect is there). 

Sorry for the mini rant at the end.

tl;dr - 

I like vim.

Others like really heavy editors like Atom.

And, if my thought-dreams could be seen,
they'd probably put my head in a guillotine.
But, it's alright, ma, it's life, and life only.

I use Emacs and ed, depending on the machine I'm on, with some Sublime Text every now and then.

I can't see why Atom is such a big thing as it's basically a web browser, making the resource usage absurdly large. Even Emacs has only a tenth of Atom's size - including the most relevant plug-ins.

But yes, you can use any text editor for writing HTML/CSS. Here's a list:

http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EditorIndex

Write in C.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 4:26 PM, Dat Guy said:

I use Emacs and ed, depending on the machine I'm on, with some Sublime Text every now and then.

I can't see why Atom is such a big thing as it's basically a web browser, making the resource usage absurdly large. Even Emacs has only a tenth of Atom's size - including the most relevant plug-ins.

But yes, you can use any text editor for writing HTML/CSS. Here's a list:

http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EditorIndex

People use Atom for its simplicity, you just download the program, install a few plugins with the built in search feature and off you go, no complicated setup it just works, and with the ram & cpus most computers have these days it barely impacts performance.

10 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

an almost 6 megabyte xml file (or opening a file that has lines that are 120k chars long) is not realistic for html & css though, and memory usage of 250 MB is pretty reasonable for a desktop program :)

6 megabytes are pretty realistic (maybe not XML, but JSON?) and 250 MB and random crashes are basically fucked up. 

Write in C.

5 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

6 megabytes are pretty realistic (maybe not XML, but JSON?) and 250 MB and random crashes are basically fucked up. 

who loads up a 6 megabytes JSON file in their editor?

in your editor you use test data, not production data (exporting a production mongodb database to a json file is the only way i can think of that would yield a 6 megabyte JSON file), so it's pretty much impossible to get 6 megabytes of JSON data that you actually need to look at in a text editor.

I've never had atom or vscode crash on me and 250 MB is perfectly reasonable compared to the ram we have available today :)

How would you review production data like a 6 MB JSON file then, if not in your editor? 

Ah, you can't because your editor sucks? I see. 

Write in C.

4 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

How would you review production data like a 6 MB JSON file then, if not in your editor? 

Ah, you can't because your editor sucks? I see. 

I'd just query the data I'm looking for in mongodb or whatever database I'd be using, certainly not opening it in my text editor and using ctrl+f to find the stuff I'm looking for :)

Storing things in a large file usually means that you don't have a database. 

Good luck, hipsters. 

Write in C.

4 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Storing things in a large file usually means that you don't have a database. 

Good luck, hipsters. 

I said the only way to get such a large file was to export a database to a JSON file, so yeah, it means I do have a database :)

Actually, it's not. Nothing stops you from just writing into a JSON file directly. So no, it doesn't. 

I take that as you don't work as a real (non-JS) developer then?

Write in C.

If you are planning on poking into web servers, you should familiarize yourself with vim and nano. You're likely to encounter one or the other on a given Linux distro these days. You don't have to use it as your daily driver, but it doesn't hurt to know how to use them.

Otherwise if you're just playing around with HTML and CSS, my first pick would go to Notepad++ (I don't use it personally because reasons that some may find stupid, but eh), then Atom.

You have gotten a TON of great recommendations here to be sure. I have found that cloud IDE's have really made my life nice personally. Check out CodeAnywhere.com. They have a free tier that allows you to setup your site through ftp and you can edit and direct publish to your site. They have many great paid features also such as revisions etc. Best of luck!

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."

On 03/04/2017 at 3:26 PM, Dat Guy said:

yup, so absurdly large.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Yup. even Emacs has one process with 1/5 of Atom's CPU usage and less than 1/2 of Atom's RAM usage here - including a bunch of add-ons. :)

Not even mentioning Sublime Text.

Write in C.

6 minutes ago, Dat Guy said:

Yup. even Emacs has one process with 1/5 of Atom's CPU usage and less than 1/2 of Atom's RAM usage here - including a bunch of add-ons. :)

Not even mentioning Sublime Text.

My atom has 120.5 MB of ram usage and 0.1% of my CPU, it's really not that heavy. My opera with just this topic open is using more CPU and RAM.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´