No taxes Eggs

linustouchtips

Okay am i getting away with this or am i going crazy Newegg is not charging any taxes for me in New York. Amazon was taxing the crap out of me. Went to Newegg no taxes went with Newegg i probably wont see these purchases till next year though cause i live on the east coast. Is this dirty. 

It's been like that for a while now, Newegg doesn't tax but Amazon does. 

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

Technically you are required by state law to file use taxes for online purchases where sales tax wasn't collected. In practice this is only necessary for extremely large purchases (cars or houses for example).

Newegg is able to not charge sales tax in states where they have no physical presence as a company.

Just now, Chaoix said:

Technically you are required by state law to file use taxes for online purchases where sales tax wasn't collected. In practice this is only necessary for extremely large purchases (cars or houses for example).

Newegg is able to not charge sales tax in states where they have no physical presence as a company.

headphones that were 20 bucks i refuse xD

States that don't have a Newegg warehouse don't charge tax. There was a time where Newegg would also charge tax for every state and that quickly got removed.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

15 hours ago, linustouchtips said:

Okay am i getting away with this or am i going crazy Newegg is not charging any taxes for me in New York. Amazon was taxing the crap out of me. Went to Newegg no taxes went with Newegg i probably wont see these purchases till next year though cause i live on the east coast. Is this dirty. 

Every web retailer is different. Newegg doesn't charge tax in Michgian. Why? Well according to Michigan Law, only businesses who have a direct presence in this state have to charge tax. Amazon has many warehouses in Michigan due to the new bridge to Canada going in to Detroit. Amazon just recently decided to charge tax in all 50 states. Newegg doesn't have this policy from what I have seen. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Newegg only has a few locations, CA (sucks for me) and a few in the middle of the country 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 hours ago, Donut417 said:

direct presence in this state

very vague and open to interpretation without having the exact wording.

7 hours ago, yathis said:

very vague and open to interpretation without having the exact wording.

Not really. Just means if the company operates any facilities in the state then they have to collect tax. Technically speaking all online items in Michigan have sales tax attached. If the company doesn't collect sales tax then us citizens are supposed to report it on our taxes each year. We dont, but we are suppose to. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:41 AM, Donut417 said:

Technically speaking all online items in Michigan have sales tax attached.

Of course

The Gov't knows no customers are reporting shit.

Facility would be a web page, would it be where the web site is hosted. Its like ships, there are 4 countries attached to a commercial ship.

On 4/1/2017 at 0:36 AM, Donut417 said:

Every web retailer is different. Newegg doesn't charge tax in Michgian. Why? Well according to Michigan Law, only businesses who have a direct presence in this state have to charge tax. Amazon has many warehouses in Michigan due to the new bridge to Canada going in to Detroit. Amazon just recently decided to charge tax in all 50 states. Newegg doesn't have this policy from what I have seen. 

The stance the IRS takes on this now is working with the largest retailers to implement a system that makes paying sales tax in all 50 states online feasible. Unfortunately Amazon gets singled out alot by tax policy makers. A great example of this is the digital goods VAT laws that were implemented in the EU in 2015.

Honestly though, with the amount of commerce moving to online only retail, I would expect a sales tax requirement for all 50 states to appear in the next 7 to 10 years. There are also US supported companies that are working to make this problem easier to solve for small businesses such as TaxCloud:

https://taxcloud.net/

The laws currently say (some are trying to change it, hopefully it doesn't happen) that you can only charge online sales tax if that business has a building in your state

On 4/1/2017 at 0:36 AM, Donut417 said:

decided to charge tax in all 50 states. Newegg doesn't have this policy from what I have seen. 

Not all 50 states have sales taxes, so in all states that have a tax is a more correct statement

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

On 3/31/2017 at 7:38 AM, linustouchtips said:

Companies dont have to collect out of state tax. If a company has a physical warehouse in a state they must charge sales tax in that state if its applicable. Most states now have started to charge you when you pay your taxes if you made any untaxed purchases. Its currently nearly impossible to verify. Amazon knows that in many states its coming that they will be required to collect those taxes so in many states they have been starting to collect taxes in places that didnt before. Newegg is big enough that I bet they will start charging tax in every state. Its easier to get that system in place at thier own pace than at the pace set by what ever state or possibly the federal government.