2slot vs 2.5slot gpu

Pidgey

I will be overclocking gpu in a glass case so I'd like everything to be as silent as possible.

From what I've read it sounds like a card that takes up 2.5 slots such as the 1080ti asus strix, would easily outperform(cooling) a card like the evga ftw3 2slot design .  Is there any benefit to having a 2slot over a 2.5 slot besides the fact that it can use SLI?

I preordered the ftw3, although I'd prefer the strix, but ASUS has been MIA for weeks in regards to their strix card.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, Pidgey said:

-SNIP-

In general terms more surface area means for greater potential of cooling, so if they are exactly the same but with a thicker heatsinking then it should be able to stay cooler than the dual slot card. 

You can have SLI with 2.5 slot cards if your motherboard has 3 slot spacing.

You can also have a 2.5 slot card that has worse cooling than a 2 slot card.

Do not use the number of slots a card takes up as a measure for anything.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Sorry, I realize now that I asked a question comparing any 2 gpus of different sizes. All I really want to know is if the ftw3 has any advantage over the strix performance wise(cooling/OC ability).  Basically I'm trying to convince myself to stick with the ftw3 because asus seems to completely disregard its community(my opinion, thats all). I've heard that EVGA has better customer support/warranty, but that's about it. Thoughts?

14 minutes ago, W-L said:

In general terms more surface area means for greater potential of cooling, so if they are exactly the same but with a thicker heatsinking then it should be able to stay cooler than the dual slot card. 

Yeah that's what I thought, was thinking there had to be some other reason to restrict a card to 2 slots. Limiting your top performance card to 2 slots directly reduces cooling potential and volume levels. So they take themselves out of the competition for best performing card with MSI and ASUS(who use 2.5) just so they can market to the few users of SLI and ITX boards? That's how I see it anyway

edit: and i guess you can SLI 2.5 slot gpus in some cases as well, didn't realize that. not sure if they can fit in some itx boards or not

3 minutes ago, Pidgey said:

Sorry, I realize now that I asked a question comparing any 2 gpus of different sizes. All I really want to know is if the ftw3 has any advantage over the strix performance wise(cooling/OC ability).  Basically I'm trying to convince myself to stick with the ftw3 because asus seems to completely disregard its community(my opinion, thats all). I've heard that EVGA has better customer support/warranty, but that's about it. Thoughts?

Yeah that's what I thought, was thinking there had to be some other reason to restrict a card to 2 slots. Limiting your top performance card to 2 slots directly reduces cooling potential and volume levels. So they take themselves out of the competition for best performing card with MSI and ASUS(who use 2.5) just so they can market to the few users of SLI and ITX boards? That's how I see it anyway

edit: and i guess you can SLI 2.5 slot gpus in some cases as well, didn't realize that. not sure if they can fit in some itx boards or not

It mainly depends more on the case than anything else in ITX configurations since most are really small and don't give a lot of extra room. 

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

It mainly depends more on the case than anything else in ITX configurations since most are really small and don't give a lot of extra room. 

Do you think that the ftw3 kneecaps itself with the 2.0 slot gpu, making it slightly inferior to the asus strix and msi gaming x? Seeing as how everything else seems to be relatively equal.

2 minutes ago, Pidgey said:

Do you think that the ftw3 kneecaps itself with the 2.0 slot gpu, making it slightly inferior to the asus strix and msi gaming x? Seeing as how everything else seems to be relatively equal.

They are both large aftermarket coolers so it wouldn't be a huge difference, your better off looking at performance benchmarks with similar setups to see what load temps they get. 

26 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I think it might be good to use it to measure some things 

Like maybe will my case fit a 2.5slot card? Will I be able to use the 4x slot under if I use the 2.5slot cooler? 

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

size doesn't matter in this case.

there are poorly made 3-slot coolers, and well made 2 slot coolers.

look at load temps from reviewers.

but if both heatsinks are of the same quality, the larger one will win.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, Sentryy said:

I think it might be good to use it to measure some things 

Like maybe will my case fit a 2.5slot card? Will I be able to use the 4x slot under if I use the 2.5slot cooler? 

Use it as a measure of height.

I am 48 slots tall.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4