Processor choosement

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

-snip-

I agree. Anyway, for gaming both the 5820K and the 7700K are a good 5-10% faster than the R7 1700 in games. So what it really comes down to is if he wants smoother gameplay, or higher FPS.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

smoother gameplay, or higher FPS.

Don't really know, something futureproof. I think smoother gameplay but i dont know?

BTW Which chip gives the smoothest gameplay?

42 minutes ago, AndriesM said:

Don't really know, something futureproof. I think smoother gameplay but i dont know?

I went from a 3770k to a 6900k and in gaming other than getting higher frame rates now not much has changed my gpu upgrade was the biggest benefit to me I kind of wish I stuck with my 3770k for longer the 6900k is a beast but 100% unneeded unless you are a professional and are making money from what you produce with it I would stay go 7700k it's a great cpu for both gaming, streaming and casual video editing (3770k is an older i7 than the 7700k so the 7700k will be more than enough) :)

Also no such thing as future proof 6 month down the line there will always be something new the 7700k will be fine for the next few years even i5's will still be good for gaming but if you want to do mild video editing the i7 will help i5's are fairly slow for rendering from my experience.

2 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

What? xD Your 5820K is 10-15% faster at 1080p and 5-10% faster at 1440p... (Compared to Ryzen)

Should have mentioned I'll be overclocking the chip and buying a 1070. :P 

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

5 minutes ago, Crossbred said:

Should have mentioned I'll be overclocking the chip and buying a 1070. :P 

But the overclocked Ryzen CPU is a bit slower than a stock 5820K :P If you mostly game, you should keep your CPU and get a 1070, or spend a bit more for a 1080....

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 hours ago, AndriesM said:

Both are going to be very good for gaming and very smooth, the 5820K will be a bit smoother though. If you want to spend about $100-200 more for an X99 system you can do that, but I think that a Z270 (7700K) system would be better for your needs. (If you want to have many programs running in the background while you are gaming, the 5820K will be better)

On 30-3-2017 at 11:11 PM, AndriesM said:

Is the Ryzen 1700 just a 1800X with lower clock speeds?

So you should be able to get the same performance as a 1800X with a good cooler?

Yes, but for some reason the 1700 overclocks way better then 1700X and the 1800X

My 1700 runs at 3.8 on all  8c/16t 24/7 on the stock cooler, can push more mhz but need a better cooler 

Let's agree to disagree

26 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Both are going to be very good for gaming and very smooth, the 5820K will be a bit smoother though. If you want to spend about $100-200 more for an X99 system you can do that, but I think that a Z270 (7700K) system would be better for your needs. (If you want to have many programs running in the background while you are gaming, the 5820K will be better)

Would it be worth me going with a 7700k as well I have a 6900k at the moment but I need to buy a new motherboard and I game at 3440x1440p and try to aim for frame rates above 80 and when possible I like to hit 100fps to match my refresh rate this thread has made me think I could be better off with a 7700k vs what I already have as I game 90% of the time on my pc and photo edit and stream 10% of the time. My personal opinion is that multicore is still a little way off we might start to see more with coffeelake intels first 6 core mainstream cpu's but until then I think quad cores are still the sweet spot for gaming would I be wrong in saying that?

15 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

Would it be worth me going with a 7700k as well I have a 6900k at the moment but I need to buy a new motherboard and I game at 3440x1440p and try to aim for frame rates above 80 and when possible I like to hit 100fps to match my refresh rate this thread has made me think I could be better off with a 7700k vs what I already have as I game 90% of the time on my pc and photo edit and stream 10% of the time.

I think that you should return your 6900K and get a 1080 Ti and a 5820K... You won't lose much editing performance (depends on what programs you use though...) but you will get much better gaming performance because of the 1080 Ti.

17 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

would I be wrong in saying that?

Definitely not. Quad cores are the best CPUs for gaming right now...

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that you should return your 6900K and get a 1080 Ti and a 5820K... You won't lose much editing performance (depends on what programs you use though...) but you will get much better gaming performance because of the 1080 Ti.

I was thinking more along the line of 7700k and 1080ti I don't get a lot of time to use my pc as I work a lot but when I do use it I like to enjoy the high framerate smooth gaming after all that's why I got a PC :D

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Although I do already have a GTX1080 so 1080ti might not be worth the upgrade xD

3 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I was thinking more along the line of 7700k and 1080ti I don't get a lot of time to use my pc as I work a lot but when I do use it I like to enjoy the high framerate smooth gaming after all that's why I got a PC :D

I recommended the 5820K so that you didn't have to return your motherboard. What photo editing software do you use? If you use Photoshop or Lightroom, get the 7700K, it is MUCH better than the 6900K! 

Just now, MekaStrix said:

Although I do already have a GTX1080 so 1080ti might not be worth the upgrade xD

Just get another 1080 :P

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

I recommended the 5820K so that you didn't have to return your motherboard. What photo editing software do you use? If you use Photoshop or Lightroom, get the 7700K, it is MUCH better than the 6900K! 

I use Photoshop and I haven't opened my new motherboard yet I am still using my strix x99 board but my new board cost £550 it's the rog edition 10 but I am seriously thinking the amount I use my pc for anything other than gaming if it is worth it xD

10 minutes ago, MekaStrix said:

I use Photoshop and I haven't opened my new motherboard yet I am still using my strix x99 board but my new board cost £550 it's the rog edition 10 but I am seriously thinking the amount I use my pc for anything other than gaming if it is worth it xD

I think that you should return your motherboard and the 6900K and get a 7700K with a high end Z270 motherboard and one more GTX 1080. You will get better performance in both gaming and photo editing. And for streaming, use Intel Quicksync which uses the iGPU and doesn't stress the CPU at all.

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I think that you should return your motherboard and the 6900K and get a 7700K with a high end Z270 motherboard and one more GTX 1080. You will get better performance in both gaming and photo editing. And for streaming, use Intel Quicksync which uses the iGPU and doesn't stress the CPU at all.

I probably can't return the 6900k now as i've had it quite a while but I can return the board and probably sell the 6900k 

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I agree, the higher clockspeed is definitely worth it.

At my dad's business we run SolidWorks 2016 on some pc's with a six-core 3.0Ghz. But Solidworks just uses 1 core(IK, its strange) But a 7700K is going to be better. Just because higher clockspeed.

1 minute ago, MekaStrix said:

sell the 6900k

Should sell a mobo-cpu-(cooler)-combo. Then you can get more for it.

1 minute ago, AndriesM said:

I agree, the higher clockspeed is definitely worth it.

At my dad's business we run SolidWorks 2016 on some pc's with a six-core 3.0Ghz. But Solidworks just uses 1 core(IK, its strange) But a 7700K is going to be better. Just because higher clockspeed.

yeah I only do some photo editing occasionally and a bit of casual streaming my main use is gaming and I keep seeing the 7700k in the majority of games even a lot of the games that are meant to prefer more cores get 10 sometimes 20fps more than my 6900k which make having such an expensive cpu feel pointless if i'm not getting the most out of it 

I'm still thinking about a Dark Base Pro 900 or a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG. 

I like the Dark Base because its very silent. But on the other hand, the Phanteks looks cleaner inside. Got any suggestions?

Should sell a mobo-cpu-(cooler)-combo. Then you can get more for it.

The board I can return and get the full £550 back for it I currently don't have a cooler cause I returned my Kraken x62 due to the LED ring dying after a couple months and the hoses block rams slots on most motherboards 

How do you cool your pc atm then? No cooler LOL?

I'm still thinking about a Dark Base Pro 900 or a Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG. 

I like the Dark Base because its very silent. But on the other hand, the Phanteks looks cleaner inside. Got any suggestions?

I went with the phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered glass edition lovely case and it has 3 5.25 drive bays so if I decide to go back to water cooling later on I can add a bay res :D But out of the two you have said I prefer Phanteks :D

Just now, AndriesM said:

How do you cool your pc atm then? No cooler LOL?

Using my old pc :D AMD 8320E and GTX770 my framerates are down in the 50's at the moment at standard 2560x1440p at medium setting instead of maxed at 1440p ultrawide at 80-100+ :(

Just now, MekaStrix said:

if I decide to go back to water cooling later on I can add a bay res

I absolutely looovve bay resses. But the dark base has some. I can make a PSU shroud if i want (Got some stainless steel lying around) so i dont really know. I think the be quiet case is more future proof, as i want to get a bay res if i go for WC