New PwC study addressing impact of automation by 2030

Teddy07

A new study from PWC addressed the impact by automation by early 2030s:

The study estimated that 30% of existing jobs in the UK were potentially at a high risk of automation, compared with 38% in the US, 35% in Germany and 21% in Japan.

PwC’s analysis finds the likely impact of automation varies significantly across industry sectors: transportation and storage (56%), manufacturing (46%) and wholesale and retail trade (44%) have the highest proportion of jobs facing potential high risks of automation among the larger sectors.

more detailed list of industries see here: http://pwc.blogs.com/press_room/2017/03/up-to-30-of-existing-uk-jobs-could-be-impacted-by-automation-by-early-2030s-but-this-should-be-offse.html

Not all of these jobs will be lost due to automation. Some of this jobs will disappear and some require a new working schedule due to the impact of automation according to the study. It makes sense that these industries are heavily impacted by automation as the jobs don't require much education, skill and the work if often done routine way. This makes it easier to write programs or deploy robots.

Male workers could be at greater potential risk of job automation than women, but education is the key differentiating factor for individual workers

I believe this is due to male jobs being easier to replace like truck drivers, warehouseman, ....

Automation will also boost productivity and wealth, leading to offsetting additional job gains elsewhere in the economy  - but income inequality may rise

Well, at least some good news.

I hope I did my first news right.

Sources: http://pwc.blogs.com/press_room/2017/03/up-to-30-of-existing-uk-jobs-could-be-impacted-by-automation-by-early-2030s-but-this-should-be-offse.html , http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39377353

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

I hope I did my first news right.

I think its a really nice post, all the facts (and nothing more) and the your opinion nice and separated.

So the tldr version is that it's going to make humanity even more useless than we're already making it. Great.

Ye ole' train

The biggest problem with automation is that our governments aren't set up in any way to deal with it. Sure, it will be a gradual adoption and not necessarily all at once, but at some point, there simply won't be enough productivity jobs to go around. Yes, there are creative jobs aplenty, but even in that area, technology is making strides to automate/mostly automate those jobs as well. Most automation doesn't simply elevate the skill ceiling of the job market as previous technological advances have done, they just outright eliminate the need for those jobs in their entirety. So, there are basically two ways (that I can think of) that we can go - either halt progress on automation to maintain our current societal structure, or move towards a society wherein we don't rely on jobs to survive. Given the current political climate(s) around the world, I'd guess that they would do a combination of the two, starting with the first option, either as a way to buy time or legitimately thinking it will stay halted forever, slowing down automation tech while they slowly create laws over several decades to protect their citizens from when most of their jobs will, inevitably, cease to exist. But that's mostly just speculation on my part, it will me very interesting to see how we change/don't change over the next few decades.

Hopefully being a good programmer will be relevant enough in the coming years to not worry too much. :P

On 2017-03-30 at 11:22 AM, Teddy07 said:

-snip-

Automation will also boost productivity and wealth, leading to offsetting additional job gains elsewhere in the economy  - but income inequality may rise

Well, at least some good news.

-snip-

Not really good news at all. The boost in productivity, and the related wealth doesn't go to the average person. It goes to the ones that are already incredibly wealthy, simply increasing the gap that exists between the working class and the rich. Thus the off setting won't really occur.

On 2017-03-30 at 0:56 PM, lots of unexplainable lag said:

So the tldr version is that it's going to make humanity even more useless than we're already making it. Great.

Humanity shouldn't be defined by the menial jobs it provides.

On 2017-03-30 at 1:31 PM, TimeOmnivore said:

The biggest problem with automation is that our governments aren't set up in any way to deal with it.

-snip-

Hopefully being a good programmer will be relevant enough in the coming years to not worry too much. :P

Slowing down automation is stupid. Why slow down the advancement of the human race because you're afraid of upsetting the status quo? It makes much more sense to go forward and realize that the world is changing and as we advance we have to change with it. I truly feel sorry for the younger generation, as the transition period will be extremely difficult and I wouldn't be surprised if there are riots and several civil uprisings because of live-or-die situations.

TL;DR

Adapt or die.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red