Multi Resolution Display Woes

So I've been searching Google, Bing, and LTT all morning trying to discover a solution to my problem. I'm a photographer and graphic artist. At one time I had 2 displays, a 48in and a 32in. They seemed to play nice together as they were both 1080p. One day I get the bright idea to drop a ton of money on a 48in 4K... That's when the problems started. Windows 10 (as much as I despise the new version) has one really good quality about it. That is, its ability to make multiple resolution monitors work somewhat well together by scaling the smaller resolution monitors up. HOWEVER, when I go to display settings, it shows the 48in 4K as being 4 times the size of 48in 1080p and even MORE with the "little" 32in 1080p. This causes all sorts of issues even though they are scales correctly. So, I've been searching the internet all morning for an alternative to the windows display settings. Which finally brings me to my question... Does anyone know of a program that will scale multi resolution monitors while also taking into account their relative sizes to each other? I mean, I have two 48in monitors I would hope there is a program out there that might recognize that (or ask me) and take that into account before it looks at the resolution of each.

I'm running a i7 6850K @ 3.60GHz, with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (EVGA), all on a Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X99-Phoenix SLI-CF. 

Attached photos are 1) Reality, 2) What Windows thinks it looks like aka print screen, 3) Display settings page.

Help me LTT community your my only... nope nope nope, not going to make that reference. Let's just say, you all seem to be one of the best tech forums out there. I hope you can help me.  fin.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

your issue is confusing, as in, im not sure what your issue is.

The sizes of the boxes in display settings is not connected to physical screen size, they are just proportionally sized according to resolution, hence why the 4k monitor shows up in those settings as being 4 times the size.

Are you trying to get scaling the same across all the monitors then ?

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

That's actually how it works. Windows doesn't see the size of your monitors as much as the pixel count.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It shows the 4K as four times the size of the 1080p monitors because 4K is four times the size of 1080p. As far as this question goes:

Does anyone know of a program that will scale multi resolution monitors while also taking into account their relative sizes to each other?

No, because monitor sizes aren't given to a computer. All it knows it that the monitors are running at a certain resolution.

why does it even matter? I am also running two monitors with different pixel density next to each other. The only confusing thing is moving the mouse from one screen to the other. Is that such a big problem for you?

I agree with all the points so far. I'm looking for a program that will show both 48in screens as the same size regardless of the pixel density. For example, if I pull my cursor from one screen to another, it does not draw smoothly. It might exit in the lower corner of one and show up half way up the next screen. I'm looking for a program that would solve those kinds of issues.

Is is a big deal? no... but if there is a program out there that fixes the issue, I'd like to have it. 

4 minutes ago, HalfBlindProphet said:

I agree with all the points so far. I'm looking for a program that will show both 48in screens as the same size regardless of the pixel density. For example, if I pull my cursor from one screen to another, it does not draw smoothly. It might exit in the lower corner of one and show up half way up the next screen. I'm looking for a program that would solve those kinds of issues.

The problem is that OSes draw their desktops as one canvas large enough to cover all of the monitors and their positioning. This simplifies how to handle mouse events. This is irrespective of the monitor's size or PPI.

Since this is an OS level thing, I don't imagine there being a program capable of doing this. And if there is, I really wouldn't trust it to move my mouse around.

4 minutes ago, Schakal_No1 said:

why does it even matter? I am also running two monitors with different pixel density next to each other. The only confusing thing is moving the mouse from one screen to the other. Is that such a big problem for you?

I'm not asking for you to validate my question... I'm asking if anyone has ever come up with a solution. That's like yelling at some one because they want to find a fix for their 30fps by saying: "I don't understand why you're complaining, you can still play the game RIGHT?!?" well yeah I can still play the game... but I want to know if there's a fix...  Yeah I can work around the issues with the displays... I'm asking if there's a fix. 

8 minutes ago, HalfBlindProphet said:

You can move the screen orientation around so the mouse would move in a line when moving from one display to the other. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The problem is that OSes draw their desktops as one canvas large enough to cover all of the monitors and their positioning. This simplifies how to handle mouse events. This is irrespective of the monitor's size or PPI.

Since this is an OS level thing, I don't imagine there being a program capable of doing this. And if there is, I really wouldn't trust it to move my mouse around.

Sigh, that makes me sad. As much as I hate Win10, I would like to see them come out with a solution to this. Thanks for the help anyway. I guess I could always buy another 4K 48in monitor... I wonder how my GPU would handle that...

=-(

Just now, HalfBlindProphet said:

Sigh, that makes me sad. As much as I hate Win10, I would like to see them come out with a solution to this. Thanks for the help anyway. I guess I could always buy another 4K 48in monitor... I wonder how my GPU would handle that...

=-(

Desktop work is potatoes to a GPU. If a lowly Intel iGPU can drive two 4K displays, so can any discrete GPU.

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You can move the screen orientation around so the mouse would move in a line when moving from one display to the other. 

I had it like that and I have just moved the little 32in to the top above the other 2. It has made windows shortcomings much more noticeable 

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Desktop work is potatoes to a GPU. If a lowly Intel iGPU can drive two 4K displays, so can any discrete GPU.

Yaeh, I guess you're right. I just worry because Adobe Lightroom is such a hog... 

• 2 months later...

I have to agree.  I would pay for a solution.  It would be amazing to be able to make Windows aware of the physical position and size of the monitors, not just pixel count.  I've got a 24" 1080p next to a 28" 4K, and to move a window to the other screen, I have to bring it to the bottom 25% of the 4K just to drag it to the next screen, when they are physically nearly the same size.  Its a bit obnoxious.  I understand the reasoning behind it (Simplicity) but it's 2017!  A solution would be incredible.

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!  Kind of....  DisplayFusion has an option called "Prevent mouse cursor from snagging on unaligned monitor edges" and it works perfectly!

DisplayFusion>Settings>Mouse Management>Prevent mouse cursor from snagging on unaligned monitor edges.  Check.

• 4 years later...

God, I know this is late but I had the same issue and found exactly what we're looking for.
Anyway, here's the fix in case anyone else comes here like I did in search of the solution:
https://github.com/mgth/LittleBigMouse