Linus Tech Tips Affiliates, Referral Programs and Sponsors

CPotter

I'm a long time viewer and reader of forums, but only just signed up for an account today :) and I'm developing chrome and firefox extensions to "auto-tag" people's amazon and potentially thinkgeek sessions so that the Linus Media Group affiliate codes get used without even having to find their bookmark.

for example:

Bob visits amazon.com to order a new CPU; he searches through and finds his item. Bob wants to support Linus Media Group with his purchases, Bob has my chrome extension installed, so that Bob doesn't even have to think about tagging his session; it's automatically tagged by the chrome extension; Linus Media group get their cut and the viewer isn't even slightly inconvenienced.

The Amazon Italy link appears to be going to .es? And if you get the thinkgeek affiliate sorted i can sort it out in the extension;

I'm currently testing out the chrome extension, will move onto the firefox extension when i get done on chrome.

The extension can potentially be expanded to work with any affiliate.

Good idea but I think for Amazon at least there might be something in their terms of service about that.

Good idea but I think for Amazon at least there might be something in their terms of service about that.

Aye; I have seen extensions like it before; I'll be careful if i do it though and make it unofficial if i do it

Hey folks,

I received one of your WAN stealth shirts awhile back and although I really like the design, I don't get a chance to wear it much. I'd better appreciate something not quite as ..... geez I don't know....flamboyant?? I really like the "linustechtips" logo that's on the top back of the shirt better than anything else. It's subtle, something I could get away with at work, etc. I'd really like the WAN  stealth logo sized down to something over the left breast pocket too. T-shirts are my clothing of choice for the most part. Yeah ... I gotta dress up to get laid and all but mostly I'm severely casual in my choice of clothing. So my most favorite choices or specs for a T-shirt would be: Keep the same size font, (linustechtips), place that logo over the left breast and maybe add a pocket and a little more weight to the shirt?? The material of your offering is kinda light weight, probably to keep the cost down and all but I'd be willing to hit, say, the $24.99+ US price point for a little better quality shirt. I'm not asking for super duper or anything. An example of the weight would be my current preference: the "FruitofTheLoom " brand shirts at Walmart. I can pick those up for around $7.99 US each. They do not come with any art or anything hence my reaching out to you. Another great example of the quality and style are the ones you can get from FrozenCPU.com. Those are excellent. The quality of the T and though their art sucks, the over all design is quieter. I can get away with something like that at work. Does any of this make sense??

So I'd be more than happy to purchase more stuff to support your efforts. I'm a big fan..... but, well, I like what I like and though it's for a cause I gotta feel there's some value coming my way with a purchase. Oh yeah, if you ever look at this idea include both a black and white version.

You have a great show, and like I said, I'm a big fan. I use your Amazon link and just grabbed a hIghLANder T, so yeah. Thanks for reading/listening .............. later

"I'd rather have a mind open to wonder than one closed by beliefs." (Sartre)

I signed up for the FiveFour Club and got my first "package" (bubble envelope).

All I got were 2 shirts and a t-shirt. definitely not worth the normal $60 price. luckily I got it for $40 thanks to Linus. But definitely not impressed.

I was expecting a nice looking package like they have in the video, and I was expecting a complete look (t-shirt, shirt, jeans and shoes). nope. not the case here.

If I wouldn't had to spend $10+ to ship this back to them I would.

I emailed them to cancel my membership.

Dude, their stuff doesn't come from walmart, lol It's high quality designer clothing. Just one pair of nice jeans from them would be a bargain for $60. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

How much percentage would you get from a 100 dollar amazon gift card?

Each month, or once?

it was a shipping charge so it was every month.

Can you add an affiliate code for the german amazon?

Nvm didn't see the link!

G5 casemod is done :D!

i5 2500K with Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B | Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 | 8GB @1600 | Club3D HD 7950 royalKing | Corsair Carbide 500R Black | Samsung 830 SSD 128GB + 2TB HDD | XFX ProSeries 750W XXX | dell u2312hm 

• 2 weeks later...

where is the newegg link man?

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!

Well I don't yet feel comfortable becoming a contributor, but I switched all of my shop's Amazon order links to the LTT version, and we do over 10K in orders a year, so hopefully that yields some handy kickbacks for you guys.  Keep up the great work! :)

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

• 2 weeks later...

Question, I have used the Amazon affiliate code a couple of times but I was wondering something and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. How does it work? Not the financial side of thing as I don’t actually case lol but no the browsing side of it. When you click on the affiliate link is it that session (ie that browser window) or do you lose the affiliate association if you do certain things like go to your wish list or anything like that. Would certain plugins like Collision or something else negate it?

After the first time I used the affiliate code it occurred to me that while checking out I had not noticed anywhere that marked my shop with being affiliated to Linus Media Group and the last time I used it I made a point of looking for some note or piece of text noting that my shop was affiliated with LMG and found nothing.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Question, I have used the Amazon affiliate code a couple of times but I was wondering something and I was hoping someone could shed some light on it for me. How does it work? Not the financial side of thing as I don’t actually case lol but no the browsing side of it. When you click on the affiliate link is it that session (ie that browser window) or do you lose the affiliate association if you do certain things like go to your wish list or anything like that. Would certain plugins like Collision or something else negate it?

After the first time I used the affiliate code it occurred to me that while checking out I had not noticed anywhere that marked my shop with being affiliated to Linus Media Group and the last time I used it I made a point of looking for some note or piece of text noting that my shop was affiliated with LMG and found nothing.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Don't quote me on this, but it is my understanding that it sets a cookie in your browser for about one hour, and anything you buy within that time while using that browser (unless you clear your cookies) is credited as being Linus' fault, so he gets commission for it.

HTTP/2 203

Thanks Colonel, makes sense and is what I assumed but I was hoping that there was more info on it.

There should really be some more information available for this. It seems to me that it just gets hidden after your initial click and as such is ripe for abuse as when I tried to look into this half of what I got back were about “ghosting” or hiding the fact that people were clicking on an affiliate links. If they had a logo or some sort of notice as you were checking out to let you know that might be more transparent

If anyone know for sure or can point at an article I would appreciate it

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

Kind of sloppy on my part but I kinda automatically assumed that this wouldn't work for germany, anyways so I never bothered to check. From now on I'll purchase through the amazon support link, of course.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

I hope the Amazon UK link works; cancelled all my preorders and reordered them in the hopes that it might yield some kickback to LTT.

In any case all new purchases will create dividents to LTT.

Please fix the Italian Amazon code, it redirects on the Spanish version!!

2020 AMD Build:

Ryzen 3800x - Asus TUF x570 - Crucial Ballistix 16GB 3600cl16 - ROG Strix GTX1070 OC 8G - EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W - Sabrent Rocket 1TB

2012 Intel Build:

Intel i5-3570k @4.0Ghz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1866 - XFX HD7970 GHz - Enermax Revolution87+ 650w - Crucial MX500 500GB

I'm a long time viewer but not a very active forum member but watching the CTIA coverage and seeing that AT&T was the sponsor I felt compelled to comment. I have watched the LinusTechTips channel religiously for 3+ years and have seen it blossom since becoming independent. For the most part, the increased sponsorships have not bothered me and I genuinely find many of the products compelling.

I know in the internet world the phrase "selling out" is spouted out often times without regard for its actual meaning, and I wouldn't go so far as to say Linus has done so, just by taking this one from AT&T. However, I do feel it hurts his credibility when he endorses a wireless company from a country that he doesn't reside in and wouldn't have any long-term experience with. Now that the LinusTechTips channel is less about unboxings and much more editorial and review-centric I think Linus needs to take seriously the products and services he is promoting. 

Edit: Sorry this is in this thread, The one about the AT&T sponsorship was not created until after I posted this.

Can you get Amazon Japan ? Please thanks. >.> I'm moving there for a job next year, for 3yrs! Moving from Vancouver to Japan >.< .. I don't even speak Japanese...yet. Trying to remedy this...Hopefully I can still watch the live WAN shows :)

Another vote for this.

Can you get Amazon Japan ? Please thanks. >.> I'm moving there for a job next year, for 3yrs! Moving from Vancouver to Japan >.< .. I don't even speak Japanese...yet. Trying to remedy this...Hopefully I can still watch the live WAN shows :)

1 more vote for Amazon Japan affiliate link.

Is it even possible for you guys to get a link? Does Amazon Japan allow affiliates from outside of Japan? Do they even have such a thing?! :wacko:

Congratz on 1 million sub! It's about time! The production and content quality of all your videos is fantastic. Thanks for working hard to keep us entertained and informed.

This will be my first post sadly. My first experience with Linus Tech Tips was last year when I built my first pc. For my previous pc I went to one store and just asked the clerk what he recommended and he built a some 600 dollar gaming machine which didn't run well at all due to my cpu bottlenecking my gpu. For my current pc however I bought the components online and assembled it myself. Having Linus and team's videos to research the parts proved an invaluable resource. I ultimately ended up getting an amd fx 8350 and gtx 760 making a beast of a system. Now I regularly tune in to their twitch stream and watch their videos frequently. Grats on the million milestone, you guys deserve every bit of your success.

Congrats guys on the 1 million subs mark. I found LTT when Linus left NCIXcom channel. I have really liked the way this channel has changed and grown over the years and i hope for a long future. 

Amazon.com is the online super store. From computer components to mayo.

Amazing xD