Completely destroy all files?

people would know my password easily because it's blue

Step 1: Don't do something sketchy enough for the FBI to bust in

Step 2: Profit

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Use AES 256 with completely random key you type in that is 40+ characters long. Nobody is decrypting that.

and nobody is able to remember that unless you write it down somewhere ...

But there are passwords easy to remember that are easy enough to not be crackable.

Just now, pbx2 said:

Write a program to do so?

To do what?  Put you in a time warp?  Let's assume your HDD is writing zeros at 180MB/s and your HDD full of whatever is 4TB, that's about.  So 180MB/s and about 4 000 000 MB worth of zeros to write, you will need 22 222 seconds, or 370 minutes, or about 6.17hrs to complete the task.  A hard drive writes data sequentially, so it has to go over the disc and write the zeros, it can't write concurrently.  Unless you can hold off the police for that 6.17hrs you won't get it all.  Assuming it's some kind of raid, you'll have MAYBE minutes of time.  Then someone unplugs your computer and stops the process.

Use of encryption and 'losing' the encryption keys is really the only 'fast' solution but it comes with the clear risk of there still BEING an encryption key that could potentially be recovered by one means or another.

The 5th Amendment of the US Constitution protects the person from self-incrimination. Meaning it's against the law for the government to criminally charge you if you do not give up your password.

Of course, there's a bunch of sneakiness to try to get around that, but I'm sure that's not limited to the US.

1 minute ago, Moress said:

You don't get profit for doing nothing

1 minute ago, Moress said:

Yeah that's a good ide......no.:ph34r:

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

The 5th Amendment of the US Constitution protects the person from self-incrimination. Meaning it's against the law for the government to criminally charge you if you do not give up your password.

Of course, there's a bunch of sneakiness to try to get around that, but I'm sure that's not limited to the US.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/03/man-jailed-indefinitely-for-refusing-to-decrypt-hard-drives-loses-appeal/

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Europe is a different story (barbarians).:ph34r:

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You don't get profit for doing nothing

step 2: Do something less sketchy and profitable

step 3: Profit

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Just now, Schakal_No1 said:

and nobody is able to remember that unless you write it down somewhere ...

But there are passwords easy to remember that are easy enough to not be crackable.

The topic is destroying files. The point is not being able to remember because you can be held indefinitely in jail if the police know you have illegal things that are encrypted and you have the password memorized. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

The caveat being, according to one of the comments:

If it's a foregone conclusion then charge the man and start the trial. Foregone conclusion means that you already have enough evidence to support the charges. If the entire case hinges on the discovery of actual evidence then the evidence you have is purely circumstantial and therefore is not a foregone conclusion.

6 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

To do what?  Put you in a time warp?  Let's assume your HDD is writing zeros at 180MB/s and your HDD full of whatever is 4TB, that's about.  So 180MB/s and about 4 000 000 MB worth of zeros to write, you will need 22 222 seconds, or 370 minutes, or about 6.17hrs to complete the task.  A hard drive writes data sequentially, so it has to go over the disc and write the zeros, it can't write concurrently.  Unless you can hold off the police for that 6.17hrs you won't get it all.  Assuming it's some kind of raid, you'll have MAYBE minutes of time.  Then someone unplugs your computer and stops the process.

Use of encryption and 'losing' the encryption keys is really the only 'fast' solution but it comes with the clear risk of there still BEING an encryption key that could potentially be recovered by one means or another.

If its raid, Take the raid card and destroying it works if they don't want to put much effort into it.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

No but apparently they can hold you forever until you either give them the password or enter it yourself.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

The only sure way to do this is physical destruction. I recommend thermite located above the drive bay, automatically activated if the system loses power.

1 minute ago, pbx2 said:

If its raid, Take the raid card and destroying it i think should work.

actually no, raids can be recovered even when the raid card is destroyed.

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

No but apparently they can hold you forever until you either give them the password or enter it yourself.

Technically they haven't criminally charged you with anything.

Law enforcement can arrest you on the suspicion of something without formally charging you with a crime: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_suspicion

I'd also like to point out that a lot of data that people might assume is 'Criminal' is not.  Namely, pirated material, if you have drives full of pirated content, this is a violation of CIVIL law not CRIMINAL law in basically every western nation.  You can outright tell the police that you pirated ever episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and it would still be entirely out of their authority.  No one is going to bust in to your home for your pirated content, they literally CAN'T.  Being under civil law, the worst that can happen is that you can be SUED by the copyright owner.

However, yes, there are exceptions.  If you are running a whole piracy ENTERPRISE on the sale of a massive ad revenue generating torrent tracker or download locker, you are in a much deeper criminal enterprise than just 'committing piracy', but for the regular citizen who just didn't want to pay for every episode of The West Wing, no, you have not committed a criminal act, you just risk getting sued.

1 minute ago, Schakal_No1 said:

actually no, raids can be recovered even when the raid card is destroyed.

Unless they don't want to put much effort into it.

--- Purple Prime ---
i7 8700k + Hyper 212 Evo | MSI Z370 Gaming Pro CarbonG-Skill Trident Z 3000Mhz RGB 16GB | Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti

Crucial MX500 500GB | WD Black 2TB | Corsair RM850i | Fractal Design Define R4LG 27UD68-P | Logitech G502 + G910 | Windows 10 Pro

--- Proteus Server ---

AyyMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Asrock B450m Pro-4 | Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) | Sapphire RX570 NITRO+ 8GB

Crucial MX500 1TB + Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB + Seagate 1TB 2.5" + 5TB iDrive  | Windows 10 Pro (Temporary)

--- Camera Stuff ---
Canon EOS 77D | Canon EF-S 18-55 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS STM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM 
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

2 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

If its raid, Take the raid card and destroying it works if they don't want to put much effort into it.

POLICE RAID. NOT REDUNDANT ARRAY OF INDEPENDENT DISCS.

3 minutes ago, pbx2 said:

You'll be surprised if i told you, but a 13 year old newbie hacker can't afford 15 HDD's in raid 0. :-/

Just now, Clearly Confused said:

You'll be surprised if i told you, but a 13 year old newbie hacker can't afford 15 HDD's in raid 0. :-/

:P

Best bet is to destroy the hard drive, Nothing quicker than it.

Hard drives are very cheap anyway so its not expensive to replace.

--- Purple Prime ---

--- Proteus Server ---

--- Camera Stuff ---
Zoom H5 + XY-5
Phone - Oneplus 6T

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I'd also like to point out that a lot of data that people might assume is 'Criminal' is not.  Namely, pirated material, if you have drives full of pirated content, this is a violation of CIVIL law not CRIMINAL law in basically every western nation.  You can outright tell the police that you pirated ever episode of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and it would still be entirely out of their authority.  No one is going to bust in to your home for your pirated content, they literally CAN'T.  Being under civil law, the worst that can happen is that you can be SUED by the copyright owner.

However, yes, there are exceptions.  If you are running a whole piracy ENTERPRISE on the sale of a massive ad revenue generating torrent tracker or download locker, you are in a much deeper criminal enterprise than just 'committing piracy', but for the regular citizen who just didn't want to pay for every episode of The West Wing, no, you have not committed a criminal act, you just risk getting sued.

Trust me piracy is the LEAST im concerned about (my OS is pirated damn it!)

Just now, Clearly Confused said:

just create a big hidden truecrypt image. Put your sensitive data in the hidden part and some not so siginificant data in the default part. If forced to give the password give the one for the default part. Does not cost you anything and you won't get any more security. You can even delete the image just in case.