Acer Predator 21x Review

Damn. First.

Ditto.

Laptop worth it? No. Is it totally badass? Yes.

Edited by JurunceNK

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

It is insanely overpriced for what it offers, but at a more reasonable price, it would make a great notebook PC that is easy to travel with.

21 inches is a decent size for a display, especially considering that 14 and 15 inch laptop displays are far too tiny.

As for cooling, they should have made it a little thicker, and then went with larger heatsinks, as well as some duct work that can work with  a larger 120mm fan.

I wish there were more hard laptop cases. I have soft cases.

OK @nicklmg what'd you guys screw up and have to pull the video for?

"VictoryGin"

Case: Define R6-S, Black | PSU: Corsair RM1000x, Custom CableMod Cables | Mobo: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399 | CPU: Threadripper 1950X | Cooling: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360mm AIO with Noctua NF-F12's | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) G.SKILL Flare X DDR4-2400 | GPUs: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition; NVIDIA Quadro P400 | Storage: 3x Intel 760p 128GB NVMe RAID-0 | I/O Cards: Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro EN 40GbE NIC, StarTech FireWire, StarTech Serial/Parallel  | Monitors: 3x 30” First Semi F301GD @ 2560x1600, 60Hz; 50" Avera 49EQX20 @ 3840x2160, 60 Hz | Keyboard: Black/Gray Unicomp Classic | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S | OS: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

Maybe the "ASUS" Predator 21X from the benchmark graphs.

Damn it. I saw it and I didn't have a chance to watch it. I'm just about to bathe myself in its unreachable gloriousness and you guys just took it down....

8 minutes ago, Juviegar said:

Maybe the "ASUS" Predator 21X from the benchmark graphs.

Really?  Wow, that's a pretty amateur mistake!

"VictoryGin"

Case: Define R6-S, Black | PSU: Corsair RM1000x, Custom CableMod Cables | Mobo: Asus ROG Zenith Extreme X399 | CPU: Threadripper 1950X | Cooling: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360mm AIO with Noctua NF-F12's | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) G.SKILL Flare X DDR4-2400 | GPUs: AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition; NVIDIA Quadro P400 | Storage: 3x Intel 760p 128GB NVMe RAID-0 | I/O Cards: Blackmagic Intensity Pro, Mellanox ConnectX-3 Pro EN 40GbE NIC, StarTech FireWire, StarTech Serial/Parallel  | Monitors: 3x 30” First Semi F301GD @ 2560x1600, 60Hz; 50" Avera 49EQX20 @ 3840x2160, 60 Hz | Keyboard: Black/Gray Unicomp Classic | Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S | OS: Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

2 hours ago, FaultyWarrior said:

When I first heard of it, on a CES video, and decided to google it, I also entered asus. It is largely habit, especially since acer typically does not do builds like this, while asus does try to push the envelope in this way.

2 hours ago, FaultyWarrior said:

It's also a pretty easy mistake to make, and a pretty easy one to miss when reviewing graphs.

Not saying that we shouldn't have caught it, we definitely should have.

8 Kilograms?! what the fuck!

yesterday I bought some potatoes, it was lighter

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

8 Kilograms?! what the fuck!

yesterday I bought some potatoes, it was lighter

to be fair a potato will not run crysis 3

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

to be fair a potato will not run crysis 3

but if you put a bunch of potatoes in RAID0 .. :P

GLaDOS ran on a potato:

Spoiler

glados-potato.jpg

Just now, zMeul said:

but if you put a bunch of potatoes in RAID0 .. :P

GLaDOS ran on a potato:

Reveal hidden contents

glados-potato.jpg

Gaming won't benefit from RAID or NVME drive

39 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Gaming won't benefit from RAID or NVME drive

Stupid fat Hobbit ruins it!

Delet.

9k.. jesus

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

2 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

#LinusYouAlreadyDidThisVideoAtCESTips

Except that this is a full review, which is actually very different from show coverage... lol.

19 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

Except that this is a full review, which is actually very different from show coverage... lol.

and the drivers aren't crap so your tests don't fall flat on their face like the benchmarks did at CES and it's not missing the R at the end of predator.

1. Acer builds junk. They are about the worst laptop manufacturer out there - remember this is the company that acquired Gateway, another junk laptop manufacturer.

2. Their sales people are pathetic based on my experience attempting to work with them. No follow-up, dead email addresses and poor communication - hardly the impression a reputable company should be showing.

3. A company that pitches a product that you cannot buy is a product that has already failed.

4. It's clear if they are only making a limited number then they are using customers as quality control to work out any design and build problems. How long was that warranty again???

5. For $9000 and no customization options, don't you think people will be taking their money elsewhere?

I am disappointed that LMG is reviewing vaporware - seriously guys, where is your credibility??? Why even bother doing a review on something that was sent to you that your audience cannot purchase? Acer list the product on their website yet don't include a purchase link or buying info - that should have been a dead giveaway to refuse to review the product.

Linus, Toshiba was the first company to make a laptop with an ultra wide. Not acer. Get your facts write 

13 hours ago, JurunceNK said:

Damn. First.

Ditto.

Laptop worth it? No. Is it totally badass? Yes.

Hotel? Trivago.

Disappointed Linus was not wearing a RGB tuxedo while reviewing it :);)

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.