Coming Soon to a theater near you?

The article is from Hot Hardware and basically Samsung is in the process of getting DCI certification for a 34-foot 4K HDR LED screen for use in Theaters.  According to the article:

http://hothardware.com/news/samsung-34-foot-4k-hdr-led-display-movie-theaters

Samsung earlier this month blitzed the home consumer market with a bevy of new 4K Ultra HD televisions with high dynamic range (HDR) support and its fancy quantum dot technology, though rather than hedge its bets on a single sector, it's bringing some of those same technologies to the big screen. We're talking movie theater screens—the new Samsung Cinema Screen is a 34-foot display with "unprecedented picture quality."

This is a shot at digital projectors. The 34-foot display "easily accommodates modern theater dimensions" and delivers LED quality visuals at a 4K (4096x2160) resolution. It is also the first movie theater display to support HDR for vibrant colors, and according to Samsung, it has a peak brightness level that is 10 times higher than standard cinema projectors (146fL versus 14fL) in use today.

I'm really looking forward to a better picture quality at the theaters, especially with some of the issues that our local theater has had with their projectors, but I'm thinking that the peak brightness on this might blind you as well in some movie scenes.  Either way, hopefully this will either drive down the cost of either good home projectors or home screens and allow for better movie experiences.

This sounds awesome, only problem I see is damage to the screen. The projectors don't have to worry about customers touching the screen when entering/leaving the auditorium... An LED screen would.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

Awww... Won't fit in my home.

Just now, theninja35 said:

It's sort of small for mainstream theaters, though, isn't it?

A bit smaller (at least according to the Verge Article).

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/28/15091668/samsung-cinema-screen-led-4k-theater

Here’s what I know now: Samsung’s display is much smaller than most movie theater projections. A typical screen is between 45 and 65 feet wide, whereas IMAX theaters typically have a 72-feet-wide screen. I have no idea how they compare price wise, because Samsung hasn’t yet released pricing details.

But with the medium scale theaters and the brightness level, it may not make a difference...  Especially if they can keep this cheaper than the 4K digital projectors.  It would also be interesting to know the power consumption difference since most projectors require a fair bit more power than an LED display and usually heat up a bit more.  

8 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

Samsung? Keep an eye on the Fire exits yo

Just now, Misanthrope said:

That would certainly bring about a new kind of AR experience: THX and image so realistic you feel like you're really burning alive!

I was wondering if Samsung was going to get into the Fire Exit sign business next...  Just think of that movie experience with you're refurbed Note 7 in the theater. xD

Cool, but there's no theater that will get this over a projector.

If you have a dead pixel on those, suddenly it's a huge pain in the *** to change the entire screen. While a projector, it's not only much smaller, but also easier to just switch out parts.

Then there's the whole switching to bigger screen, to 8k to whatever else. A projector make this a hell of a lot easier compared to a massive screen that you can't service. (unless it lets you change individual pixels, at that size, the ppi is like, 10?)

http://kingscalculator.com/en/other-calculators/pixel-density-calculator

(they are using a techquickie video, awesome lol)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I can already feel the eye pain and they haven't even gotten them certified yet...

Also, a 34 foot screen has width of 29.6 feet aka 355.2 inches and 4096 / 355.2 inches equals ~11.5 pixels per inch. Interesting.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

47 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

A bit smaller (at least according to the Verge Article).

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/28/15091668/samsung-cinema-screen-led-4k-theater

But with the medium scale theaters and the brightness level, it may not make a difference...  Especially if they can keep this cheaper than the 4K digital projectors.  It would also be interesting to know the power consumption difference since most projectors require a fair bit more power than an LED display and usually heat up a bit more.  

Now...what if you put four of these badboys together? Then we're talking!

Aren't movie projectors displaying things in 8K?

I've always been under the assumption that movies you see in a cinema are always in 8K, don't know where i got that from

"If you ain't first, you're last"

how are they gonna get that in the theater?  At that size you have to build the theater around it and hope the tech is good, sucks when you wanna upgrade and need to get a helicopter to lift it through a hole in the roof

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

13 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

how are they gonna get that in the theater?  At that size you have to build the theater around it and hope the tech is good, sucks when you wanna upgrade and need to get a helicopter to lift it through a hole in the roof

My best guess is that this isn't a single LED panel screen but a series of panels that chain together to form a seamless screen (at least based on the news announcement cover photo)...  Might also help with burnt out LEDs to just replace the bad panel.

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-electronics-premieres-the-theater-of-the-future-with-new-cinema-screen-technology

1 hour ago, Memories4K said:

Aren't movie projectors displaying things in 8K?

Most are 2K, with the majority of the films being processed in the pipeline in 2-2.8k or so, only a minority are in 4K.

Like, I work in stereo conversion, I'm literally ankle deep in AAA feature films all the time, and I can tell you that 4K isn't all that common.

7 hours ago, Orangeator said:

This sounds awesome, only problem I see is damage to the screen. The projectors don't have to worry about customers touching the screen when entering/leaving the auditorium... An LED screen would.

never seen a theater screem get touched but I'm sure it will be repairable.

Anyone else wondering how these screens will get transported?

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

15 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Most are 2K, with the majority of the films being processed in the pipeline in 2-2.8k or so, only a minority are in 4K.

Like, I work in stereo conversion, I'm literally ankle deep in AAA feature films all the time, and I can tell you that 4K isn't all that common.

Well, where I live, like the 3 cinemas I know of and have been to, all are Sony 4k projectors. The movie itself is many times like 2,8k but up scaled or something tho. sometimes 4k :) (Not HDR tho)

But I live in Norway, and cinema tickets isnt cheap....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

Well, where I live, like the 3 cinemas I know of and have been to, all are Sony 4k projectors. The movie itself is many times like 2,8k but up scaled or something tho. sometimes 4k :) (Not HDR tho)

But I live in Norway, and cinema tickets isnt cheap....

When I say 2.8k, I'm ballparking, but you also have to remember that I deal with footage before it's cropped.  While you'll typically see most feature films are shot 'Ultra Wide' at aspect ratios 2.39:1 or so, they arn't ACTUALLY 'shot' like that for the most part.  Most are SHOT closer t 16:9 and later cropped, but they're purposefully done this way so there's excess to allow cropping/re framing in the post production process.  Later in the process, once the DCPs are being produced, they'll all be scaled to conform to normal cinema specs, so typically 2K and some are 4K.

Also, a lot of movies are SHOT at 4k or even higher, again, to allow more flexibility on cropping/adding artificial camera shakes/reframing/ect, but later in the pipeline like editing, VFX, stereo and such, they're already scaled down, as 4K or higher puts significantly increased strain on workflow pipelines.  In short, 4K or more takes a lot more resources, and that means time and money and it's often not worth it to the companies paying the bills.

Wow, still 4K. And to think that 35mm film (The thing that has been used to film movies since 1900) is still as higher estimated resolution and color accuracy, nevermind 70mm IMAX film, which is roughly 16k.

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

47 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

When I say 2.8k, I'm ballparking, but you also have to remember that I deal with footage before it's cropped.  While you'll typically see most feature films are shot 'Ultra Wide' at aspect ratios 2.39:1 or so, they arn't ACTUALLY 'shot' like that for the most part.  Most are SHOT closer t 16:9 and later cropped, but they're purposefully done this way so there's excess to allow cropping/re framing in the post production process.  Later in the process, once the DCPs are being produced, they'll all be scaled to conform to normal cinema specs, so typically 2K and some are 4K.

Also, a lot of movies are SHOT at 4k or even higher, again, to allow more flexibility on cropping/adding artificial camera shakes/reframing/ect, but later in the pipeline like editing, VFX, stereo and such, they're already scaled down, as 4K or higher puts significantly increased strain on workflow pipelines.  In short, 4K or more takes a lot more resources, and that means time and money and it's often not worth it to the companies paying the bills.

I understand :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Near Infinity to one contrast ratio, just plain amazing man, I don't care about theaters being 8k, coz I'll be sitting way far away obviously but having HDR and 146fL brightness!!! It'll be so cool with HDR, I'd prefer watching Infinity War in that.

-- BSOD : ( --

On 3/30/2017 at 1:29 AM, Orangeator said:

and even if they don't touch it cleaning off dust might be a problem.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 30/03/2017 at 0:29 AM, Orangeator said:

And a screen would cost way more then just a projector. The projectors are expensive but I see this LED screen being stupids expensive.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

On 3/29/2017 at 7:29 PM, Dutch-stoner said:

Awww... Won't fit in my home.

Sounds like you need a bigger home :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: