Tube Amp vs Solid State

Hey, i want to buy the Sennheiser HD650 (or 6xx if theres a poll on massdrop in the near future) and i want to know what would be better a tube amp or solid state and what are the differences between them. Could someone help me (and maybe recommend me one) ?

It just depends on the amp. Different topologies have different strengths and weaknesses, and I daresay that even at the high end you're not going to be able to find an amp that does it all.

I will not speak to the differences between tubes and solid state as that information is pretty easy to find. I will say that you should avoid the assumption that tubes (properly implemented) will always be warm, rolled-off, distorted, etc. The popular conception of "tube sound", in other words.

I recommend the Valhalla 2 for the HD 650. I have a review of it in my signature.

7 minutes ago, Flyser said:

Hey, i want to buy the Sennheiser HD650 (or 6xx if theres a poll on massdrop in the near future) and i want to know what would be better a tube amp or solid state and what are the differences between them. Could someone help me (and maybe recommend me one) ?

the difference is in how it produces sound, it doesn't necessarily mean one is better than the other.

traditionalists will likely argue that tube amps sound better, and there is definitely a difference in sound, but that also means that they are colored meaning they'll change the sound going through them a little

it may sound awesome, but it's not exactly flat; and tubes (in my experience) tend to cost more.

all that said it really depends on what your cup of tea is.

solid state amps can also have a colored sound, but just as long as you pick one (either, or) with good reviews with a style you want anything is great.

(I agree with the Valhall 2 recommendation btw)

3 minutes ago, Alkali A said:

they are colored meaning they'll change the sound going through them a little

What doesn't, though.

37 minutes ago, Flyser said:

thanks both of you and i think, after i´ve read @SSL´s review, i will go for the Valhalla 2.

Let us know your thoughts on it. Even though SSL did a thorough review, I would like to hear more thoughts on it since I also have the HD650.

On 30/03/2017 at 0:02 AM, Kloaked said:

Let us know your thoughts on it. Even though SSL did a thorough review, I would like to hear more thoughts on it since I also have the HD650.

yes i can do that but it will take a while. i first will get the hd650 in the mid of april and the valhalla short after. i can keep you updated when you are ok with it when i can tell you my experience in may or june :/

On 30/03/2017 at 0:02 AM, Kloaked said:

i mean i am still a student and can´t afford it currently ^^