What is in my Bag.

2 hours ago, mcladrifter said:

I'm actually working on a little project video camera, a Canon XL1S

Tomorrow I'll share some photos of the equipment that's at the studio.  I still have quite a few stuff at home I need to bring over and other equipment at another office.

37 minutes ago, xQubeZx said:

I do have a shit ton of outdoor gear that I frequently use when I go out and shoot landscapes or sports like climbig, trail running and so on. I have probably spent a lot more money on those things than my photography gear so far...

Outdoor gear is nice, I have some safety harnesses that I use if I'm photographing or filming strapped to the open door of a helicopter or plane.  But I'm not much of a skydiving or mountain climbing fan so no parachutes or stuff like that.  I also have scuba equipment for underwater work.

I also have sleeping bags but need to get a new tent.  I don't know where I put my NVG.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

36 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Tomorrow I'll share some photos of the equipment that's at the studio.  I still have quite a few stuff at home I need to bring over and other equipment at another office.

Outdoor gear is nice, I have some safety harnesses that I use if I'm photographing or filming strapped to the open door of a helicopter or plane.  But I'm not much of a skydiving or mountain climbing fan so no parachutes or stuff like that.  I also have scuba equipment for underwater work.

I also have sleeping bags but need to get a new tent.  I don't know where I put my NVG.

I've got some climbing equimpent but it will probably add up quite a bit now when Il take a course for lead climbing outside. Will need to invest in a lot of Quickdraws, twist lock carbiners and ropes. 

If you need a tent I strongly suggest the brand "Hilleberg" if you can get your hands on one. We have two in my family, one has lasted the last 25-30 years during numeros trips into the swedish mountains during both summer and winter. They are expensive, but they last a lifetime pretty much. Weights in well under 5kg, think ours are like 3kg's. And are well suitable for less than ideal weather conditions. 

I've got plenty of sleeping bags too..my main one is a Mammut one, rated for -5 Celsius so not the warmest but if I need more I just carry an extra thin downbag aswell. Best investment you can make will however be a good sleeping pad. I bought the Thermarest All seasons a few years back and I'm not kidding but its better than sleeping in a bed. Only weights around 500g too. 

And invest in gear with GoreTex Pro. Well worth the premium price to stay dry and don't have to worry about things breaking when out in the field. Arcteryx makes some great clothes with it. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

13 hours ago, cc143 said:

This is a great idea, I got several ideas about small time savers and ways to do stuff more easily from videos in youtube like this, its always nice to see if someone has some sort of trick that could save you time or hassle. 

This might seem excessive for an enthusiast, but I have amassed all this over about 12 years of shooting, also,  the only things that were bought new are the 90-300, which was a gift, and probably the EOS 1000, which I was not born yet when it was bought;P I will admit though that I do have a gear problem all kidding aside. 

This is all my gear I have with me here, I have my first dslr, a couple of bags and a crappy tripod back home as well. (excuse the crap quality my phone's been on its last leg for a while.) I have underlined what's usually in my bag, everything else stays home until I'm gainfully employed at a club or something again and am not only shooting landscapes and cityscapes for fun, I'll also try to get some street photography in there once I get some time from university.

DSC_0036.thumb.JPG.c9e67b5f475cabadb8e1e40cdc46bea4.JPG

Left to right, top to bottom: 

1. Canon Speedlite 430EX

2.Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L 

3. Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

5.Canon EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6

6. Canon EOS 50D (its sitting on a battery grip) 

7. EF 50mm f/1.4 

8. EF 24-105 f/4L IS

9. EOS 5d mk3 on a hoage(?) L bracket off amazon.

10. Canon EOS 1000 (This was my dad's old camera and the first camera I ever used with the exception of some kodak one use cameras.) 

DSC_0037.thumb.JPG.bc34c777d40ef43554673ad272bae715.JPG

The bag is a lowepro 450AW (you can get it for hald MSRP from koreans on ebay, its a bag, not much to worry about.) A good point is it has standard molle webbing on the outside which allows me to put the tripod or filter pouch on the outside if I need to carry clothes or some other stuff inside it. I could also attch accessories like knives first aid kits etc I have from the army or my hiking/scouting days.

The tripod that takes up half the space is the 3LT Albert. (Another thing that you can get for a pretty good discount off ebay, and that should be of the longer investments one should make).  

That pouch inside there between the tripod and the EOS 1000 is my Formatt-Hitech filter kit, it currently only has 2 filters 0.9ND and grad 0.9ND, but I have my eye on the lee big stopper and 1.2 soft grad ND (I will get the grad at some point in the near future probably, the lee I will get once I get). 

There's also a peak-design slide strap under the camera, I find its quite useful if not quite expensive for a strap, but, you can attach an anchor link on the tripod and carry it on the strap with the other anchor on the L-Bracket when trying to quickly relocate, and the big seller for me is that it can be quickly removed and/or attached to another body. 

DSC_0039.thumb.JPG.b3b7d9766a852eedeb782ced51b235bc.JPG

This is an assortment of remote triggers/intervalometers, extra lens and body caps, a couple of 3rd party extra batteries a lens cloth and one use wet lenswipes (lidl has something like a £1.50 for 50 of them or something). There's also some arca QR plates, I have a couple now, they seem to come with every accrssory I get, so why not carry a couple with me just in case and a blank piece of A4 paper to adjust WB when I have time until I manage to get a good WB card at some point. 

There also a couple of rolls of fuji ISO 200 film on the top pocket. 

It can kinda be seen on the 2nd photo but there's a viltrox capture clip on the left backpack strap, it was useful with a csc, the 5d is quite heavy for it, but the eos 1000 with the 50mm is quite fine on there. 

The thing weighs quite a lot too, right now its at 9kg, which isn't much compared to an army pack, but still a lot for most people to hike with for long. With tripod and other stuff outside and a raincoat, laptop and some other stuff it could easily go up to 13-15kg. 

Not bad kit really, I've always had more than one body, even when I was a hobbyist, I had a D70 then a Fuji S3Pro.  

3 hours ago, mcladrifter said:

Not bad kit really, I've always had more than one body, even when I was a hobbyist, I had a D70 then a Fuji S3Pro.  

That was kind of unintentional, I just upgrade bodies very rarely once they start failing, I've never felt the need to upgrade because the technology isn't as up to date anymore, I have had that 50d for about 10 years, the shutter assembly just recently started failing. The good thing is that I only buy canon or canon compatible gear since I started in the system so I can carry everything over once I switch, I luckily never bought crop lenses as well, so I don't have any £250 paperweights.

How did you swing around carrying 2 systems with you? Did you have to carry 3 lenses for each or something?  

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

3 minutes ago, cc143 said:

That was kind of unintentional, I just upgrade bodies very rarely once they start failing, I've never felt the need to upgrade because the technology isn't as up to date anymore, I have had that 50d for about 10 years, the shutter assembly just recently started failing. The good thing is that I only buy canon or canon compatible gear since I started in the system so I can carry everything over once I switch, I luckily never bought crop lenses as well, so I don't have any £250 paperweights.

How did you swing around carrying 2 systems with you? Did you have to carry 3 lenses for each or something?  

2 in use, one back up, I bought the D200 when the S3 died on me. The Fuji S3pro is one of the worst cameras ever made.

19 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Thanks, I'm looking at a tent from North Face.  But since I don't have plans for any remote expeditions in the near future I'm holding off on spending the money.

I do have a lot of GoreTex or at least similar products.  One of my favorite brands is Fourth Element, they mainly provide thermal wear for drysuit drivers but it can be used on land also.  My safety harnesses and sleeping bags are Mammut.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

14 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Thanks, I'm looking at a tent from North Face.  But since I don't have plans for any remote expeditions in the near future I'm holding off on spending the money.

I do have a lot of GoreTex or at least similar products.  One of my favorite brands is Fourth Element, they mainly provide thermal wear for drysuit drivers but it can be used on land also.  My safety harnesses and sleeping bags are Mammut.

I always find it best to wait and spend a lot on a good product from a reputable brand. It lasts for long then, it may feel wrong when you buy it but when you have used it countless of times you wont regret it. I bought a hoodie for 200US, felt wrong but damn do I use it a lot. Most comfortable hoodie I've used. It's the same thing when you spend a ridicuilous amount on a waterbottle or something similar but then you realise that thing wont break, like at all. Have used mine to put down tent "nails" in less than ideal ground.

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Since this is getting more relevant here, I'll just repost in the correct thread this time. 

As far as tents/sleepingbags/rucksacks go I can wholeheartedly recommend salewa, I have a couple of their rucksacks and my sierra leone tent has been with me for about 10 years and I have no complaints, its light (reasonably), well made, insulated and was rock steady in pretty strong winds. 

here is their range: http://www.salewa.com/en/equipment/tents.html

I have to say, the difference from inferior tens was quite clear from the first time I used mine, granted the climate was far more extreme.

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

OK here is the basic kit that I start out with when I'm working. The bag I use to carry these core items is a ThinkTankPhoto CityWalker 30, not in the photo because after years of use it's no longer in great condition. :(

Nikon D4 has the 70-200 f/2.8 VR III

Nikon D800 has the 24-70 f/ 2.8, not the new version with VR

16-35 f/4 lens for wide angle if necessary.

Several spare batteries for each camera, only a few are shown in the photo.

A couple of Nikon SB-910 with external battery packs for faster recycling rate.

I carry external drives for backup and storage as necessary, along with a rMBP for editing in the field.

IMG_1609.thumb.JPG.b9f36643c986bf3bf2d5cad09cfdddcf.JPG

For casual, non-working, or simple lightweight/mobility these are the stuff I may just put in my pocket or in a smaller camera bag. Just because I include them in the photo doesn't mean I carry all of them.

The Benro tripod seen here is my travel tripod and it can also support the D4 and 70-200 combo.  I have a bigger heavy duty tripod, currently elsewhere.

Fuji mirrorless, Canon P&S, Sony mirrorless, BMD Video Assist, Rode SmartLav.

IMG_1611.thumb.JPG.b787742cd0257706a3049b9b00545438.JPG

This is one of the video cameras we use, a Sony FS7.  This one belongs to my colleague, with my metabones speedbooster and 50mm lens attached.  My video cameras, another FS7 and a Canon C300, are currently being used for a project in another location so I left them there instead of carrying them back and forth each day.

IMG_1613.thumb.JPG.d74f30fadfb6c9ca110bffcc5722f127.JPG

And some of the lenses, wireless mic systems, on-camera light, filters, gels, pocketwizards...

IMG_1614.thumb.JPG.01cbe619d0cd1034c0fe451414feb476.JPG

When it comes to photography, I primarily work with the Nikon D4 and D800 along with the 70-200 and 24-70 being the core elements of the kit.  But on occasion it may be necessary for me to use other specialized gear.  I have several round and triangular collapsible diffusers, reflectors, softboxes of various sizes and shapes, studio strobes and continuous lights/panels/fresnels/spots, umbrellas, etc.

An assortment of mics, cables, stabilization systems, external monitors and recorders, etc.

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What sort of projects do you usually do? Is it weddings or that sort of event or is there anything we might have seen/ can look at if we wish. 

Also, I noticed a sigma art lens in the last photo but couldn't tell which one it is. I am also curious about the two, I assume TS lenses in the bottom image as well. 

7 minutes ago, cc143 said:

What sort of projects do you usually do? Is it weddings or that sort of event or is there anything we might have seen/ can look at if we wish. 

Also, I noticed a sigma art lens in the last photo but couldn't tell which one it is. I am also curious about the two, I assume TS lenses in the bottom image as well. 

I avoid weddings.  But I do events coverage like conferences or parties or corporate events, and a lot of freelance journalism and documentaries, travel, fine art, portraits.

It's the Sigma 35 f/1.4, and those are 24 and 85mm TS lenses.  I have 1.4x and 2x teleconverters also.

1 hour ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

I avoid weddings.  But I do events coverage like conferences or parties or corporate events, and a lot of freelance journalism and documentaries, travel, fine art, portraits.

It's the Sigma 35 f/1.4, and those are 24 and 85mm TS lenses.  I have 1.4x and 2x teleconverters also.

Erm.... After looking at the kit you have, I need to go change.

2 hours ago, mcladrifter said:

Erm.... After looking at the kit you have, I need to go change.

You might want to throw away those underwear...

2 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

You might want to throw away those underwear...

Something else I just realised, you mention having a c300, yet I see no EF glass in your pictures, is it just at the same location as the camera? I'm curious as to what you use on the canon side. 

Also, what filters do you find yourself using with the Lee kit (If I'm not mistaken that's not a formatt filter holder.) 

5 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Something else I just realised, you mention having a c300, yet I see no EF glass in your pictures, is it just at the same location as the camera? I'm curious as to what you use on the canon side. 

Also, what filters do you find yourself using with the Lee kit (If I'm not mistaken that's not a formatt filter holder.) 

Yep that's a LEE filter holder.  I didn't take out the LEE filters for the photo because unlike the HiTech ones they don't have their own individual sleeves.  I have 2 and 3 stops NDs and hard/soft edge grads along with a couple of Big Stoppers and the 105mm CPL.

For the C300, I use EF mount Cine lenses, I only have three of them.  24mm, 50mm and 85mm.  Basically this kit

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185212-REG/rokinon_xeen_24_50_85mm.html

This is my little "Project" my Canon XL1s, missing the lens cause it broke a few months back. I plan on getting the 14x Manual lens for it, then shoving a DVC100 up it backside for live broadcasting, I also need to paint it as well.

C8fQnC8XoAAivWR.jpg

5 hours ago, mcladrifter said:

This is my little "Project" my Canon XL1s, missing the lens cause it broke a few months back. I plan on getting the 14x Manual lens for it, then shoving a DVC100 up it backside for live broadcasting, I also need to paint it as well.

C8fQnC8XoAAivWR.jpg

So you have a trackball mouse, a sandisk memory card, that gray colored battery looks like an EN-EL3e, an xBox and PS3, dirty laundry in that plastic bag (I'm guessing it's the underwears you need to burn).

That Canon camera looks like something out of a sci-fi movie, I was tempted to buy one a few years ago... just for the look.  That's a MA200 unit?

On 4/3/2017 at 6:59 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

So you have a trackball mouse, a sandisk memory card, that gray colored battery looks like an EN-EL3e, an xBox and PS3, dirty laundry in that plastic bag (I'm guessing it's the underwears you need to burn).

That Canon camera looks like something out of a sci-fi movie, I was tempted to buy one a few years ago... just for the look.  That's a MA200 unit?

Indeed, if you want, I'll post a pic of my table

On 4/3/2017 at 6:59 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

C8mD1cDWAAEs8AA.jpg

On 4/4/2017 at 8:19 PM, mcladrifter said:

C8mD1cDWAAEs8AA.jpg

Please don't tell me you're an anime lolicon... :D

(whispers: I used to have a wallpaper of Revy, Motoko Kusanagi, Integra Hellsing, and other hot anime femme fatales on my desktop wallpaper. don't tell anyone.)

Finally got this big heavy green screen mounted at our studio, but we still need to tidy up the place a bit and finish stretching it, taping it to the floor around the edges, etc.  But we're all tired today so calling it a day.

17795943_1327517990660663_422584619605543404_n.jpg.d7fa0b39e092e85dc5c1ed9ebd1247c7.jpg

On 4/5/2017 at 9:33 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

Please don't tell me you're an anime lolicon... :D

(whispers: I used to have a wallpaper of Revy, Motoko Kusanagi, Integra Hellsing, and other hot anime femme fatales on my desktop wallpaper. don't tell anyone.)

Finally got this big heavy green screen mounted at our studio, but we still need to tidy up the place a bit and finish stretching it, taping it to the floor around the edges, etc.  But we're all tired today so calling it a day.

17795943_1327517990660663_422584619605543404_n.jpg.d7fa0b39e092e85dc5c1ed9ebd1247c7.jpg

What are you filming?

1 hour ago, mcladrifter said:

What are you filming?

Any project that we'll be working on that requires use of an indoor studio and a green background.

5 minutes ago, mcladrifter said:

So I kind bought a second D200 the other day.

You bought a second hand D200?  A Nikon D200?  Are you out of your mind?  If you had said D300 or D300s, those will still be good cameras.  The D200 is too old.

Just now, AkiraDaarkst said:

You bought a second hand D200?  A Nikon D200?  Are you out of your mind?

I like them and they do the job.