Is the MSI Z97 PC Mate limiting my overclocking?

Hi, my desktop has a 4690k currently at 4493MHz and i can't seem to get any higher. I'm thinking maybe my motherboard isn't that great and was meant for overclockable Pentiums (which my friend told me). I kind of want a new motherboard anyway because I can't change that much on it. Also does anyone know how many power phases it has? And what do you guys think about the Asrock z97 fatal1ty killer?

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

Probably the cpu, not the board, and even with the best board, your unlikey to get .2ghz more out of it. Not worth the cost for a better board.

What was it you said was your cooler and the voltage and temps you were running at?

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Probably the cpu, not the board, and even with the best board, your unlikey to get .2ghz more out of it. Not worth the cost for a better board.

My friend has a 4690k that he got to 4.9GHz on like 1.33v on a gigabyte z97x gaming 5 (which died for no reason) and he is telling me my chip just doesn't have good overclocking. Which it probably true but at the same time my motherboard is pretty crap.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

What was it you said was your cooler and the voltage and temps you were running at?

It's a enermax liqmax 120s, i get about 75c load with 1.3v and 4493MHz.

Asus GU501gm

2 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

My friend has a 4690k that he got to 4.9GHz on like 1.33v on a gigabyte z97x gaming 5 (which died for no reason) and he is telling me my chip just doesn't have good overclocking. Which it probably true but at the same time my motherboard is pretty crap.

What your friend's chip got does not matter at all.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

2 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

It's a enermax liqmax 120s, i get about 75c load with 1.3v and 4493MHz.

That sorta explains it... your voltage is way too high (even more so when you consider the cooler), looks like your chip just isn't great.

Given that it looks like you can't OC further, start top drop those voltages.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

That sorta explains it... your voltage is way too high (even more so when you consider the cooler), looks like your chip just isn't great.

Given that it looks like you can't OC further, start top drop those voltages.

1.3v is needed for 4493MHz. The cooler runs on a really low fan speed and it could probably get cooler but it's really noisy. I'm ordering new thermal paste because I didn't apply it that well and it's 2 years old.

Asus GU501gm