NBN Blaming Telstra for Slow Download speeds

SammoFS

With new reports coming out that most australian households that are connected to the NBN (National Broadband Network) Are "churning" through 148 Gigabytes Per month. (http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/616733/nbn-data-usage-continues-soar/

The NBN Is blaming Telstra for Slow Download and Upload speeds. (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/in-depth/national-broadband-network/telstra-to-blame-for-download-goslow-says-nbn/news-story/d13993076ab652ed8fb3994e22dc998a)

“While many customers moving to the NBN will be able to ­attain speeds into their premises within NBN’s top speed tier, underlying network factors mean some customers will see lower top speeds,” the spokesman said.

I think thats bull shit. We should get what we pay for on the network. And it sucks that they're cheaping out on FTTN. Me myself Am probably getting FTTC (since they chose to tell optus HFC to FUCK OFF and they've started using FTTK(FTTC, You say Kurb/Kerb in aus :P))

James Ioppolo and Erin Guhl of Victoria Park in Perth are paying Telstra $95 a month for the top 100Mbps package but in the evenings achieve download speeds as low as 0.2Mbps.

NBN Co said it could find no fault on the network.

“Mr Ioppolo should speak to his service provider regarding any congestion/speed issues,” NBN Co said.

WOW.

It seems ISPS are just jumping on the NBN service train for that sweet money giving you 0.2% of what you bought.

NBN isn't doing anything. CVC/AVC costs are high (I don't really understand that since i'm not all that technical lol)

at around $17.50. (20 cents less than australia's minimum wage)

EDIT: Hit post without saying this.

What's your opinion?

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

Blegh!

CVC cost about $17.5 per mbps and that is what kills speed.

CVC is bandwidth from the nbn infrastructure to the RSP's infrastructure, which means that during peak hour everyone is trying to use that bandwidth available.

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

Just now, kiska3 said:

Blegh!

CVC cost about $17.5 per mbps and that is what kills speed.

CVC is bandwidth from the nbn infrastructure to the RSP's infrastructure, which means that during peak hour everyone is trying to use that bandwidth available.

Thanks for clarifying that. 

tbh when i get nbn ill just go with myrepublic

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

It's sounding a lot like downgrading the plans we had of FTTP to FTTN are not paying off at all. Sure it saves money but it's literally getting us nowhere. With any luck NBN Co will still install FTTP in my area since that's what it now has listed for late 2018.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

Just now, Carclis said:

It's sounding a lot like downgrading the plans we had of FTTP to FTTN are not paying off at all. Sure it saves money but it's literally getting us nowhere. With any luck NBN Co will still install FTTP in my area since that's what it now has listed for late 2018.

im late 2018 for hfc but probs gonna get fttc.

BTW we never downgraded, liberal's fucking stupid plan

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

9 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

im late 2018 for hfc but probs gonna get fttc.

BTW we never downgraded, liberal's fucking stupid plan

I thought the original Labor plan was to have majority FTTP with wireless for regional areas.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

5 hours ago, Carclis said:

I thought the original Labor plan was to have majority FTTP with wireless for regional areas.

That's my understanding as well. Unfortunately I think both parties grossly underestimated the sinkhole that all government projects in AUS are and underestimated the time and money required :P

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

Seriously internet standards in Australia is a bloody joke, I've never once experienced a good internet connection once in my life.

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

33 minutes ago, Marvzl1357 said:

Seriously internet standards in Australia is a bloody joke, I've never once experienced a good internet connection once in my life.

best i have is 30/2

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

1 hour ago, RedSpade said:

That's my understanding as well. Unfortunately I think both parties grossly underestimated the sinkhole that all government projects in AUS are and underestimated the time and money required :P

That's kinda sad considering we're behind the 8-ball compared to just about every developed country out there right now in terms of internet speed (and stability). You would have thought that our government could learn from any of the other countries out there, especially considering Australia is not a country that ever does anything first and just seems to follow whatever others do :/

This has nothing to do with FTTN. This has to do with their core routers and switches behind the it. 

These issues wouldnt be here if they didnt cheap out on the single most important component of a network. 

2 hours ago, Marvzl1357 said:

Only once for me..

10 years, 6 residential rentings.

Only one property was close to an exchange.

900m and 18Mbps down.

Within 2 yrs, 16Mbps.

Since left.

Currently at 550KB/s with 3 people here.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

This has nothing to do with FTTN. This has to do with their core routers and switches behind the it. 

These issues wouldnt be here if they didnt cheap out on the single most important component of a network. 

The problem is NOT the routers and switches which are very expensive. What the problem is CVC, which is what RSPs(ISPs) purchase. 

NBN wholesale price list is here: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-price-list_20161205.pdf

So say you were running an ISP, a for-profit ISP that has to please shareholders.

To provision to a single customer 25 mbit down and 5 mbit up, it costs the ISP $27 according to the price list, and that is NOT negotiable. AVC is only to connect to the nbn network.

The ISP will also have to provision CVC which costs $17.5 per mbit, which you spread out since a dedicated 25/5 line would cost the ISP $437.5, for CVC. CVC is the charge that nbn applies for traffic transitioning from their network aka nbn's to the ISPs own infrastructure, which contains that ISPs backhaul to the internet.

Then you've got ISP payment processor fees, support staff to pay, maintaining equipment, etc, etc

That is why ISPs are not provisioning enough CVC, cause it eats into profit margins.

nbn can help by REDUCING CVC prices, which is coming down to $15.5 per mbit soon(tm)

Western Sydney University - 4th year BCompSc student

27 minutes ago, kiska3 said:

The problem is NOT the routers and switches which are very expensive. What the problem is CVC, which is what RSPs(ISPs) purchase. 

NBN wholesale price list is here: http://www.nbnco.com.au/content/dam/nbnco2/documents/sfaa-wba2-product-catalogue-price-list_20161205.pdf

So say you were running an ISP, a for-profit ISP that has to please shareholders.

To provision to a single customer 25 mbit down and 5 mbit up, it costs the ISP $27 according to the price list, and that is NOT negotiable. AVC is only to connect to the nbn network.

The ISP will also have to provision CVC which costs $17.5 per mbit, which you spread out since a dedicated 25/5 line would cost the ISP $437.5, for CVC. CVC is the charge that nbn applies for traffic transitioning from their network aka nbn's to the ISPs own infrastructure, which contains that ISPs backhaul to the internet.

Then you've got ISP payment processor fees, support staff to pay, maintaining equipment, etc, etc

That is why ISPs are not provisioning enough CVC, cause it eats into profit margins.

nbn can help by REDUCING CVC prices, which is coming down to $15.5 per mbit soon(tm)

As a tier 2 at an ISP this whole model makes no fucking sense. Also routers and switches are not expensive. Our lowest end 48 port 10gb switch runs $11,000 and can handle a network that cost a few million to create. Mere pocket change in the grand scheme of things.

I dont understand what these CVC charges are or why they matter at all. Pricing should be done based on congestion and availability with some factor of initial startup cost. This seems like its just there to fuck people over. 

NBN has been a massive dissapointment and since the downgrades have been pointless to save money when in the long run will cost us more, the government and elder voters just think of the short term and we as a country are lagging behind with our technology.

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

I still have to wait until 2019 before ill even bother with looking at the nbn.

Human intelligence decreases with increasing proximity to oncoming traffic.

11 hours ago, Carclis said:

That's kinda sad considering we're behind the 8-ball compared to just about every developed country out there right now in terms of internet speed (and stability). You would have thought that our government could learn from any of the other countries out there, especially considering Australia is not a country that ever does anything first and just seems to follow whatever others do :/

The government here doesn't learn anything from others. They buy outdated technology then spend millions on trying to make it different, stuffing it up in the process, then 'fix it' so it works pretty much the exact same as when they bought it.

1 hour ago, Slyhawk said:

NBN has been a massive dissapointment and since the downgrades have been pointless to save money when in the long run will cost us more, the government and elder voters just think of the short term and we as a country are lagging behind with our technology.

So true, and they don't understand that as soon as they build the NBN they'll have to start upgrading everything to FTTP.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

• 4 weeks later...

I had I great connection using cable before with a low ping 115mpbs download speed and I regret changing to the NBN with high pings and seriously fluctuating download speeds. (20's to 90's)

"Those who are last are sideways and smiling". - Jeremy Clarkson

I'm currently on telstra ultimate cable advertised 100/2. I get a nice consistent 50-100 Mbps depending on what time of day I do a speed test. Just got a recent email from telstra saying nbn is rolling out in my suburb and they want people to make the switch. Soon as I saw that I thought to myself hell to the fukin no. Majority of those I know on nbn have such congestion issues they regret switching from cable to nbn so much

On 3/29/2017 at 7:45 AM, Rika Shiguma said:

best i have is 30/2

Im so sorry

h6s6oWE.png

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

On 3/30/2017 at 3:00 AM, mynameisjuan said:

As a tier 2 at an ISP this whole model makes no fucking sense. Also routers and switches are not expensive. Our lowest end 48 port 10gb switch runs $11,000 and can handle a network that cost a few million to create. Mere pocket change in the grand scheme of things.

I dont understand what these CVC charges are or why they matter at all. Pricing should be done based on congestion and availability with some factor of initial startup cost. This seems like its just there to fuck people over. 

It's being done to offset installation & setup charges for the project. 

On 3/29/2017 at 0:12 PM, Rika Shiguma said:

Me myself Am probably getting FTTC (since they chose to tell optus HFC to FUCK OFF and they've started using FTTK(FTTC, You say Kurb/Kerb in aus :P))

FTTdp, FTTC has been re-branded by NBN to Fibre to the distribution point.

Signed back in after a few years just to reply to this. 

The NBN has been a monumental mess up since it's very inception.  Labour and Liberal are just as bad as each other in their handling of it.  There was no feasibility or cost analysis done, there were no professional consultations undertaken and many smaller contractors went broke trying build it.   The shear cost of building anything in Australia is too high, especially for projects of this nature.  We have to remember that more than half the internet connections in Australia are mobile and  about 900,000 people failed to connect to the NBN after their original service was terminated.  With only 24M people spread out over such a space and less than half being home internet consumers the math was never good for it.  We unfortunately just don't have the market demand and density to get fast cheap internet that is stable. 

On top of that there are reports from many users now that it just drops out in some areas, none of which are ISP specific.  It maybe telstra exchange hardware at the cause or it might be the failure of ISP's to buy sufficient bandwidth to cover what they are selling.  The more technical side of how it works is a bit above my head so take that with a grain of salt.  

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Signed back in after a few years just to reply to this. 

The NBN has been a monumental mess up since it's very inception.  Labour and Liberal are just as bad as each other in their handling of it.  There was no feasibility or cost analysis done, there were no professional consultations undertaken and many smaller contractors went broke trying build it.   The shear cost of building anything in Australia is too high, especially for projects of this nature.  We have to remember that more than half the internet connections in Australia are mobile and  about 900,000 people failed to connect to the NBN after their original service was terminated.  With only 24M people spread out over such a space and less than half being home internet consumers the math was never good for it.  We unfortunately just don't have the market demand and density to get fast cheap internet that is stable. 

On top of that there are reports from many users now that it just drops out in some areas, none of which are ISP specific.  It maybe telstra exchange hardware at the cause or it might be the failure of ISP's to buy sufficient bandwidth to cover what they are selling.  The more technical side of how it works is a bit above my head so take that with a grain of salt.  

Holy shit. I gasped when I saw your username 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case