What Ghz to look for in an AMD based Console Killer (Don't add personal build lists please)

I am designing an AMD based console killer to match or better the price of the Xbox1s 2tb including wifi, bluetooth and a bluray player. However I don't know much about AMD cpu's and I can do the rest myself I just need help trying to figure out what Ghz I should use based upon the Xbox's specs of a custom Amd 8-core 1.75ghz and what cpu's on the AMD side that just won't handle games great. So AMD users out there, please help me shed some light on this subject so I can build one (also if you want to include ones that can overclock to a higher ghz but has a lower base I am glad to hear that side too just please don't add your own builds, this is my personal build and I really don't like using other people's designs for my builds). 

- Edit 

I definitely do not plan on using an 8 core, but the point to the build the computer is to give my friend is to get a computer to do homework and basic computer programs while also gaming at a better quality than an xbox without buying both systems and saving some money. I simply don't know anything about AMD chipsets and wanted some insight on some possible 2-3ghz Cpu's and which ones may be outdated with no upgrade path.

Edited by MssTechShop
More information on specific design specifications

The only AMD CPU's worth anything right now are RYZEN series.  R5/R3 are perfect for you

A R5 1400 is great for your wants

Image result for RYZEN 5

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Pretty much any build would have more power than a console nowadays, and there is literally a million YT videos with "console killer" builds.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

2 minutes ago, MssTechShop said:

I really don't like using other people's designs for my builds

Totally understand that.

In my opinion comparing the Ghz of a CPU to the xbox1s while trying to build a pc to beat it is a waist of time. The xbox is geared towards gaming and only that. so a much slower more directly designed system can run games better with less. A PC at that performance will suffer greatly. Where you are trying to keep the budget low(I'd hope since you are competing with a console) I wouldnt even go with an 8-core, as most games, even newer ones on pc wont use all of them.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Full custom loop / links below out of date

LTT Build Log | PCPP Build Log

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

First what games will you play?

Ryzen is very good, but if you are trying to stay at a console price picking up an fx 6350 or 8350 (6 vs 8 core) on the cheap is where your looking at. Make sure to buy a decent motherboard as in games such as BF1 they don't see reasonable performance until ~4.4-4.5ghz which isn't hard to achieve.

1 minute ago, EminentSun said:

First what games will you play?

Ryzen is very good, but if you are trying to stay at a console price picking up an fx 6350 or 8350 (6 vs 8 core) on the cheap is where your looking at. Make sure to buy a decent motherboard as in games such as BF1 they don't see reasonable performance until ~4.4-4.5ghz which isn't hard to achieve.

I might disagree, as ryzen 3 cpu's might out perform those cpu's at a very low budget, or even a lower ryzen 5. I am a huge fan of the 8350(when I used it when it was new, it did great) but they are just so out dated now and not even true 8 cores.

Ryzen 9 3950x - 64 GB DDR4 - NVME 980 pro SSD - EVGA RTX 3080 FTW Ultra - FAD CASE

Sorry if I stop responding, I've probably gotten busy as I mostly am only on here while working.

1 minute ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Totally understand that.

In my opinion comparing the Ghz of a CPU to the xbox1s while trying to build a pc to beat it is a waist of time. The xbox is geared towards gaming and only that. so a much slower more directly designed system can run games better with less. A PC at that performance will suffer greatly. Where you are trying to keep the budget low(I'd hope since you are competing with a console) I wouldnt even go with an 8-core, as most games, even newer ones on pc wont use all of them.

I definitely do not plan on using an 8 core, but the point to the build the computer is to give my friend is to get a computer to do homework and basic computer programs while also gaming at a better quality than an xbox without buying both systems and saving some money. I simply don't know anything about AMD chipsets and wanted some insight on some possible 2-3ghz Cpu's and which ones may be outdated with no upgrade path. (I'll probably copy that into the post to get more accurate results to what I'm asking for) But if you have any in mind I would greatly appreciate it along with this feedback you already provided :) 

11 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

Totally understand that.

i agree, also remember that a ps4 and the ps4 pro has vr, considering you can get a bundle for a ps4 or a ps4 pro with vr gear for 300 usd, its really impressive what these systems brings to the table, remote play is really good.

6 minutes ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I might disagree, as ryzen 3 cpu's might out perform those cpu's at a very low budget, or even a lower ryzen 5. I am a huge fan of the 8350(when I used it when it was new, it did great) but they are just so out dated now and not even true 8 cores.

He plans on playing mainly shooters and mmo's like GTA5 and a few Rpg's including Skyrim and fallout, but nothing extreme like witcher. But he also wants a pc so he can do basic homework and powerpoints, web browsing, streaming etc. 

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i agree, also remember that a ps4 and the ps4 pro has vr, considering you can get a bundle for a ps4 or a ps4 pro with vr gear for 300 usd, its really impressive what these systems brings to the table, remote play is really good.

I actually didn't take that into consideration of vr operation but he currently plays only on a laptop and does not plan on doing that until he can make a more professional gaming setup down the line after he finishes schooling. 

3 minutes ago, MssTechShop said:

He plans on playing mainly shooters and mmo's like GTA5 and a few Rpg's including Skyrim and fallout, but nothing extreme like witcher. But he also wants a pc so he can do basic homework and powerpoints, web browsing, streaming etc. 

I hate that I'm saying this(because I am so tired of seeing everyones response to everything lately be 'just wait for ryzen') but I would really recommend he wait for the ryzen 3 and 5 cpus to actually drop, the current decent AMD cpu's are very out dated and wont run very well for most things. No point in buying a brand new machine, especially for gaming, with 5-6 year old hardware.

5 minutes ago, MssTechShop said:

I actually didn't take that into consideration of vr operation but he currently plays only on a laptop and does not plan on doing that until he can make a more professional gaming setup down the line after he finishes schooling. 

Vr is new, psvr is something you use once, even "professional" vr such as vive and rift are more of a vary expensive gimmicks, no killer app or games. if you want something for casual use a ps4 pro or a used ps4 can handle vary well. making a 200 usd "console killer" are not worth it anymore.

1 minute ago, jeffmeyer5295 said:

I hate that I'm saying this(because I am so tired of seeing everyones response to everything lately be 'just wait for ryzen') but I would really recommend he wait for the ryzen 3 and 5 cpus to actually drop, the current decent AMD cpu's are very out dated and wont run very well for most things. No point in buying a brand new machine, especially for gaming, with 5-6 year old hardware.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, so you think that I should wait (because budget is set but also he's still gathering the money) to guarantee a better upgrading path later down the line?

Just now, MssTechShop said:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, so you think that I should wait (because budget is set but also he's still gathering the money) to guarantee a better upgrading path later down the line?

I do, there is no point in jumping into something before ryzen, amd said they will be sticking with the AM4 socket for a long time, so even if he buys a ryzen3 and an am4 board, he should be able to upgrade easily later down the line.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

Vr is new, psvr is something you use once, even "professional" vr such as vive and rift are more of a vary expensive gimmicks, no killer app or games. if you want something for casual use a ps4 pro or a used ps4 can handle vary well. making a 200 usd "console killer" are not worth it anymore.

My budget is $400 usd, I agree that 200 is not worth it (willing to go about 50 bucks over) 

9 minutes ago, MssTechShop said:

My budget is $400 usd, I agree that 200 is not worth it (willing to go about 50 bucks over) 

is there a reason why you want amd? for that budget, id get a pentium g4560, its much better than any other cpu in that price range for games.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

is there a reason why you want amd? for that budget, id get a pentium g4560, its much better than any other cpu in that price range for games.

Specifically it was price range based on what research I have done but I'd be willing to do pentium just refuse to do celeron (I bought a $900 tb touchscreen laptop with all decent specs but when I bought it I couldn't find the cpu, turned out everything else was great except it had an intel celeron bottlenecking my entire computer and it absolutely furiated me after because I could not find the description and I was using it for multi- graphical and 3d designing while at my school for theatre.) I just don't know the true difference between pentium and i3 no matter where I look

1 minute ago, MssTechShop said:

Specifically it was price range based on what research I have done but I'd be willing to do pentium just refuse to do celeron (I bought a $900 tb touchscreen laptop with all decent specs but when I bought it I couldn't find the cpu, turned out everything else was great except it had an intel celeron bottlenecking my entire computer and it absolutely furiated me after because I could not find the description and I was using it for multi- graphical and 3d designing while at my school for theatre.) I just don't know the true difference between pentium and i3 no matter where I look

for those desktops, the i3 and the pentium are basically the same, the pentium is just cheaper

Also celeron pentiums are much different on mobile vs desktop

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

for those desktops, the i3 and the pentium are basically the same, the pentium is just cheaper

Also celeron pentiums are much different on mobile vs desktop

The only things I could find were integrated graphics, do you know anything that differentiates or did I just kinda push that off because I thought I couldn't find information and I was wrong for doing so? Also, how do the mobile and desktop versions differ? 

2 minutes ago, MssTechShop said:

The only things I could find were integrated graphics, do you know anything that differentiates or did I just kinda push that off because I thought I couldn't find information and I was wrong for doing so? Also, how do the mobile and desktop versions differ? 

im assuming run running a dgpu and not using the igpu. If you want to play games at around that budget, look at something like a rx460.

The desktop parts are much faster, for example a desktop celeron can be faster than a laptop i7

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

im assuming run running a dgpu and not using the igpu. If you want to play games at around that budget, look at something like a rx460.

The desktop parts are much faster, for example a desktop celeron can be faster than a laptop i7

Yeah, that's a very specific detail about the build that I must retain a dpgu, I may run both and have the igpu (if offered) as minor overhead if the mobo allows that in the bios. But I'll try and see what I can work with based on that, thank you a lot. 

Ryzen 5. Comes out april 11

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

If you agree looking for console-level gaming on the cheap, look at A10 APUs (FM2+ socket), no dGPU. You'll get your 30-60 FPS, 720-1080p right there (I don't expect "console killer" to include a 1440p, 144Hz monitor...). 

For upgradability, you would be better off with socket AM4, but It's hard to find the currently available AM4 APUs (A10-9xxx, A12) at the retail level. Eventually they should release Zen-based APUs, but no launch date yet. 

23 hours ago, MssTechShop said:

I just don't know the true difference between pentium and i3 no matter where I look

Until the latest generation, Pentiums (excluding the P4, of course) did not have hyperthreading.  Also, Pentiums don't have a turbo mode.  With the advent of HT on the Pentium line, they're basically a cheap i3 that doesn't automatically turbo overclock.

16 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

If you agree looking for console-level gaming on the cheap, look at A10 APUs (FM2+ socket), no dGPU. You'll get your 30-60 FPS, 720-1080p right there (I don't expect "console killer" to include a 1440p, 144Hz monitor...).

As much as I'm an AMD guy (I've never even owned an Intel CPU, going all the way back to the 486), I'd be very reluctant to recommend the FM2 socket.  It has absolutely no upgrade path, and will soon become completely obsolete once they finally release the ZEN based APUs.

10 hours ago, Jito463 said:

As much as I'm an AMD guy (I've never even owned an Intel CPU, going all the way back to the 486), I'd be very reluctant to recommend the FM2 socket.  It has absolutely no upgrade path, and will soon become completely obsolete once they finally release the ZEN based APUs.

Yep, I made the point about future upgrades myself. I don't know how much weight to put on that on a "console killer" build, though, while right now there's hardly a more cost-effective way to get into PC gaming at console performance or above than with an APU.