Output resolution and display resolution

Deckar

Hello!

New forum user here , i just want to  solve some question i have , hope you can help .

So here we go with the question:  if my display is 1366x768 (laptop display)  will it make a difference if i reproduce content in 1080 or higher? will a 4k video look better than a 1080p one  on a 720p display? providing they are same compression quality and we are just changing the resolution. 

So in conclusion what im asking is will higher resolution always be better regardless display resolution?

I believe this is true to a point. Having the source material be a higher resolution than the display will cause it to be scaled down which will sometimes look nicer than the same material at the native resolution. I don't think that it would work forever though with increasingly large materials. If it did there would come a point where the difference would become less and less noticeable. 

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

1 hour ago, Deckar said:

Hello!

New forum user here , i just want to  solve some question i have , hope you can help .

So here we go with the question:  if my display is 1366x768 (laptop display)  will it make a difference if i reproduce content in 1080 or higher? will a 4k video look better than a 1080p one  on a 720p display? providing they are same compression quality and we are just changing the resolution. 

So in conclusion what im asking is will higher resolution always be better regardless display resolution?

It can look better, but depends on the content. Downscaling from higher resolution content is how most forms of anti-aliasing work. Text will be blurrier and harder to read, but images like movies/games tend to look better.